Northwestern Mutual

3.7 1,228 reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske

John E. Schlifske

1,228 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Unlimited income potential and overall good company"
    in 52 reviews
  • "Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work"
    in 36 reviews
Cons:
  • "You only make money if you sell life insurance policies to your friends and family"
    in 101 reviews
  • "No base salary, Have at least 6 months of salary saved"
    in 39 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Financial Representative

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat training, solid company and products

ConsOnly paid on commission. Not sure how they expect you to survive.

A Great Internship but hard career

Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat for work experience, especially in terms of the internship. Very laid back and your success is completely dependent on your effort. No real "boss" to have to respond to. Hands on learning about the financial/insurance industry and you actually get to help people better their financial situation while learning how to do so yourself.

ConsOther Financial Reps only have money signs in their eyes. It's very obvious. The company has a great vision but some people who work there are just out there to make money and not actually help people. Phoning is extremely difficult and getting clients in to meet with you is even harder. Very hard to actually "make it" in this business. Commission based.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has a great outlook on the wellbeing of its clients but some employees are not on board with the whole thing. Have a better hiring process and focus more on the intention of prospective employees.

Great company to work for, until new boss came in

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Long Island City, NY

ProsThere were very stressful times but I worked with great people.

ConsWhen my boss was fired, the new manager brought in his own staff and fired almost everybody.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Northwestern Mutual has been one of the best employment experiences I've ever had.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNorthwestern Mutual has a great work environment and flexible schedules for those that are pursuing or continuing their education.

ConsThe cons to working for them is the parking, even with the parking structure parking was still difficult at times.

Pros and Cons

Financial Representative (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGreat work atmosphere, positive people that will help you be successful and mentor you along the way. Great work-life balance later in the career.

ConsNo salary, Purely a commission based job. This can result in highs and lows in the career and if you don't have a stable financial situation you may feel very stressed from time to time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a base salary

Great Company!!

Financial Representative (Current Employee)

ProsYou are your own boss, you create your own business. Unlimited income potential, flexible schedule. Fun environment and challenging. Can be very rewarding, and you get very involved in the community.

ConsPure commission, takes a while to build up residual income. Alot of competition and sometimes with people from your own company for business. Office politics can get old.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat training, more help on business coaching for new reps.

Working for an independent financial rep

Associate Wealth Management Advisor (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsFast paced, varied tasks, flexible hours

ConsPoor training a lot of time was spent learning the platforms myself

Advice to Senior ManagementCentralized training for associates needed

One of the best companies to work for

Financial Representative (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsExcellent corporate structure and culture. The training for sales reps is the absolute best I've ever encountered. Time management skill training is applicable in all fields and in life. The system already in place is superb.

ConsOutside sales, cold calling and 100% commission based structure is not only challenging, it's probably not for career changers with responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider stipends/salaries for career changers and/or new employees that don't still live at home.

Great place to learn vital business skills.

Financial Representative (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsFun office culture, competitive commission scales, make your own hours, opportunity to grow your business, learn vital business skills from experienced reps, this internship gives the right people a great opportunity to start a very successful career

ConsWork hours can be long, cold-calling, commission pay, focus of the internship is mainly on selling insurance prodcuts

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for interns would help them in the beginning months of their program

Great overall experience. Opportunity to have your hands in many facets of business.

Development Officer (Current Employee)

ProsStrong culture and surrounded by hard workers. Great work environment.

ConsLimited opportunity for growth on the staff side. Needs to be the right time and right place.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrengthen the link between corporate and the field. Many pieces of the puzzle are disconnected, but the success of the overall company overshadows this.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northwestern Mutual CEO John E. Schlifske. All 1,228 reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees.