Northwestern Mutual

Northwestern Mutual Reviews in Milwaukee, WI

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske

John E. Schlifske

Pros
  • If you are one of the few that make it (5%), there is unlimited income potential(in 54 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some(in 107 reviews)

• No base salary, commission based work is one of challenge for me(in 40 reviews)

99 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Collaborative Environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsGreat people, everyone is very helpful. You can call up a perfect stranger and they will help. Excellent benefits. People in the home office still have a pension which is almost unheard of. Very good work life balance.

ConsConsensus driven organization. Until everyone agrees you don't move forward. Also very old school in use of technology. Meetings are still held face to face and working from home happens rarely depending on the department you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should do what it takes to keep good workers.

Sr. Budget and Expense Associate

Senior Budget and Expense Associate (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThis company is dedicated to the policyowner and it's employees. There are many perks given and the work life balance is great.

ConsThe pay here is often lower then what you see a salary for a similar job with another company. They contribute that to the great pension plan that is offered along with the "free" lunch that is not so free since they add that cost in your total compensation package.

NM's Wealth Management Company = Pergatory at best

Senior Staff Member (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsIf you are a below average employee, you will have job security because they don't fire anyone. If you like useless meetings that serve no purpose and accomplish nothing but consuming time, there will be plenty of them. If you would like to work for a company that is obsessed with its unique culture to an almost cult like loyalty, they will serve the kool-aid for you at your free lunch in one of the NM lunchrooms where you can enjoy the company of your fellow followers of the NM Way, NM Truth and NM Life.

ConsThey won't fire below average employees. They are obsessed with their culture to the point where dysfunction is excused as just part of the consensus building culture that is the NM Way. Compensation within the Wealth Management Company is below average as compared to the market. There is a lack of leadership - management sets no strategic vision for the department, is disengaged, fails to commit needed resources to support the business and seems to lack experience in the business they have been given responsibility to oversee and grow. Employees are overworked, lack resources and support, get burnt out and leave (if they are lucky).

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management (i.e. management at the life company level) should take a close look at managment within the Wealth Management Company department and consider serious changes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Financial Representative (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsHelp clients, develop a team

Consmy role is commission only

Good company to work for

Architect (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

Prosoffice culture is nice
    reliable company
    job safety

Consless perks, to grow you need to have connections. Knowing and doing work is not enough.

Doing right things right

Training Consultant (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsNorthwestern Mutual is the best company in the city to work for. They are a great member of the community and support the employees community involvement through time and financial contributions. They are a large organization with tons of opportunity; you can completely change your career without leaving the company! We have a young CEO who's looking to make a great culture even better. The new motto, "Let's be a force for good" speaks to every role within the organization, always keeping the best interest of our policy owners at the forefront of every decision we make.

ConsBeing a large organization there tends to be some beaurocracy in place but campaigns are underway to correct that. Work/life balance is mostly good but some areas of the organization don't offer as much flexibilty for work at home or flexible hours. For long time employees benefits are more costly and confusing than in years past but still a very good benefits package.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to embrace, implement "new era behaviors". Mistakes can be learning opportunities. Invest in a learning management system for a better training experience/opportunity.

Stable company, dated products

Actuarial Intern (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsNorthwestern Mutual is a stable company with a winning business model. They truly care about their policy holders

ConsSell large quantities of whole life insurance, which is a product that is slowly losing interest in the eyes of the consumer. NM is reluctant to begin selling more modern products.

good company

Financial Representative (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

Proscan make your own schedule

Cons100% commission - unstable income stream

Advice to Senior Managementbetter training and support

Unbelievable Opportunity, great rewards

Financial Representative (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThis position is extremely fulfilling. From a personal, but especially professional approach. Each and every day, we have the ability to help others achieve their own versions of financial security. Each and every day, I'll meet a different person, from a different walk of life, and together achieve a plan that'll last their lifetime. Personally, with time, a freedom and flexibility, untouched by anything I've ever experienced, is earned. Financial freedom for my family can be achieved, based on the time and effort I put in. Back it up with the highest rated institution in the industry, with the most amazing products, and it's a perfect fit!

ConsIf you consider it a challenge, putting in a full day, and owning your success or failure, then that could be a con.

Great Learning Experience

Information Systems Intern (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsI absolutely loved working for Northwestern Mutual as an Information Systems Intern for two years. They had great programs that allowed me to see the fundamental decision making of the company on big decisions. They also empowered me with tasks and treated me part of the team.

ConsThe cons I would say that they at the Human Resource side gave me an offer to stay instead of taking another opportunity, but did not fight even though all my reviews were top 1% and my management was fighting for me. Especially, the offer middle of road and did not even offer discussion of the package which turned me ultimately off from staying and would have if been discussion.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen retaining your top performing interns or employees fight for keeping them instead of emailing them an offer and not allowing discussion of the employees point of view of the offer.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!