Northwestern Mutual

3.7
1,461 Reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske
John E. Schlifske

Pros
  • If you are one of the few that make it (5%), there is unlimited income potential (in 56 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some (in 117 reviews)

• There is no base salary so getting started is very difficult (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard, Fustrating, Difficult Work - Rewarding, Honest, Proffesional Career

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The ability to grow a career, and build a business. The ability to truly help people. The influence and respect that is earned within the community overtime. Residual Income. Management, Associates, and Corporate are full of great people who want to help you succeed. Knowing that when I retire I will have a pension as a part of my portfolio. The culture and ethics are something to be proud of. The pros go on and on.

Cons

Mentally the most demanding work I've ever done. You will constantly face rejection especially when starting your career. I don't care how thick your skin is constant rejection is difficult and it hurts. I work anywhere from 50 to 70 hours a week, like any business the first three years will require you put a lot of work and hours to succeed. Starting this career, know that you will be broke. You may be lucky and start your career like a Rock Star and make a ton of money, however that is usually not the norm and if your in it for the upfront money and not the long game than chances are you will fail. With all that said, this is most rewarding work I've ever done. I will retire with Northwestern Mutual.

Keep doing what your doing.

Great Company

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Great company where you get out what you put in! wonderful atmosphere and great poeple workign beside you.

Cons

High expectations right off the back, really high standards

Fantastic learning experience but definitely a sales role with a majority of the business left to you.

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Braintree, MA

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Low expenses allow a high commission rate for insurance products.
    Fantastic, industry leading training program.
    Some of the best life, disability, and long term care insurance products on the market due to low expenses leaving leftover for dividend payouts.

Cons

Management style is very hands off, which can be a pro, but was not for me as a recent college graduate without the discipline to run my own business.
    Client generation is entirely up to the rep.
    All expenses are up to the rep. This warps the reality of income as you could easily spend tens of thousands of dollars a year on client meeting based expenses.

Great Summer Experience

Former Employee - Financial Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Representative

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Was a great place to work for. The people were friendly and they trained you well.

Cons

The job is commission based so if this is what you like go for. It wasn't for me.

Great first internship experience

Former Employee - Financial Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of team building, independent work, and mentorship. Great internship program with lots of opportunities to learn new skills and grow individually.

Cons

Paid on commission, a lot of work for little compensation. Can be very difficult to build connections if you're not from the area.

Northwestern is an amazing company and is a perfect opportunity for the right person

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company culture is very ethical and welcoming to new members, annual meeting is a blast, if you follow the system provided - you will succeed. Uncapped earning potential, excellent training, complete control of your entire schedule with the exception of mandatory morning training meetings.

Cons

100% commission, a lot of work for no pay if prospect does not buy, hard-selling environment, depending on how you manage your schedule - could be a significant amount of travel time to get from appointment to appointment.

excellent job, maybe offer expense allowance to those who hit awards in their first year, allow members to obtain 6 & 63 much earlier than 6months in, consider more team building exercises

Best place to work in MKE

Current Employee - Staff Writer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Staff Writer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome free lunch that offers the opportunity to network with people from all over the organization, tons of groups to join, co-workers are always friendly and wiling to help you

Cons

Somewhat conservative culture remains and technology is often a common problem -- despite efforts to change both. In the future, I'm sure the company will overcome these two obstacles.

"Best place to work!"

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company culture is relaxed, friendly, and professional. Everyone employed by Northwestern Mutual has an outstanding work ethic. There is immense opportunity for financial growth with Northwestern Mutual. This company impacts so many lives on a daily basis and has extremely strong values.

Cons

Work never stops even when you are out of the office, so it's difficult to truly take time off.

Great! Sells sells! You must dial the phone and create your own prospects.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Make your own schedule. Great balance of work/life

Cons

A little stressful but you have a great foundation you will do will in the business. It's a lot of fun.

Great job

Great summer experience

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Staff wants to see you succeed. They will go on meetings with you and give you pointers on how to improve and what to say to prospects. Pretty well organized internship

Cons

Compensation based on commission mainly, will be difficult to earn revenue in early years. Need to find your niche market or this will be frustrating

Keep up the good work