Northwestern Mutual

3.7
1,391 Reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske
John E. Schlifske

Pros
  • If you are one of the few that make it (5%), there is unlimited income potential (in 54 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some (in 113 reviews)

• There is no base salary so getting started is very difficult (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Home Office sleeping giant has finally awakened..

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Major shift in corporate culture underway, building off the strong values and financial foundation of the past 150+ years. Past paternalistic approach to management is dying away, morphing into a culture of delegation, accountability at all levels, and performance-based compensation.

Cons

A culture change is not a sure thing, and is challenging to navigate and survive. Bringing the distributed field sales force into the culture change will be very difficult, and success overall will be limited if that cannot be accomplished.

Keep going down the path you have defined over the past 2-3 years. Do not stop pushing hard, lest we lose momentum.

Great people, but limited career growth

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really enjoyed management and everyone I worked with and for, really felt like a family. Houston firm is very centered on Christian values, and everyone truly believes in what they are doing and the impact they are making on others.

Cons

Although I had a great team to work with, and they felt like family, there were limited career opportunities for me unless I wanted to move into a financial representative role. This is through no fault of the firm, however, as my aspirations were outside of what the company was able to provide me, i.e. more employee development opportunities, opportunities for international travel.

Great Place to Learn the Industry

Former Employee - Financial Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Top quality, exclusive products offered through Northwestern Mutual's insurance branch. Very supportive office culture and training staff. Multiple levels of support built into the corporate structure, which make you feel like you are a part of something rather than just a number. Stipends and high commission for first year are definitely a plus. Offer Series 6 and 63 certification among others the further along you get.

Cons

Need to have a healthy market to begin with. Difficult to "turn off" at the end of the workday. Somewhat negative connotation towards insurance makes your higher commission products a bit more difficult to pitch, but if you can get someone to hear you out on the benefits of these products, there is so much potential there.

Acknowledge that cold calling should be mixed in with warm market leads ASAP rather than when you are losing steam, so as to prolong the life of the warm market and take the edge off of days of cold calling.
    Need to have personalized business cards ready upfront as the generic Northwestern Mutual business cards caused some confusion/didn't instill a sense of authenticity or credibility to the financial representative.

Home Office - nice colleagues & work environment

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

people stay, so you're generally working with smart people who are motivated to do great work that they will want to be associated with for years to come
    fair compensation, demanding expectations, consistent focus on budget and cost management makes spending for comp, etc. consistent but not at the higher end for mid level management
    outstanding community focus - it feels good to be part of something that changes lives

Cons

people stay, so you can wait a long time for advancement

nice work - keep communicating!!

College Financial Representative Internship

Current Employee - College Financial Representative
    Current Employee - College Financial Representative

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My internship at Northwestern Mutual has provided me with amazing growth opportunities both personally and professionally. I made decent money and got the opportunity to work hands on with veteran financial representatives.

Cons

The internship takes a lot of time. I highly suggest you start your internship at the beginning of the summer when classes end. While it isn't required, if you want to be successful you need to treat it like a full time job. You will also have a distinct advantage if do your internship in an area where you have a strong warm market.

Keep on building leaders for tomorrow.

My experience at Northwestern was filled with a lot of his and los, but the most important thing was to stay level heade

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Richmond, VA

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you can make it through the first year, it can be a very rewarding career.

Cons

The challenges of working here are that even after a month of training, you still have to rely on veteran advisors in the office to run your meetings - almost like you start as a glorified assistant.

If there was one thing I would change, I would make training longer so there wasn't such a high turnover rate, unless the high turnover rate is more profitable for them.

Fantastic Employer.

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Friendly environment
    -Self motivated individuals that thrive through teamwork and mentorship
    -Flexible work time
    -Build your own business and work everything in/out that you wish
    -Very relationship oriented business

Cons

Very few. Worst part was the licensing process in the beginning, but other than that nothing.

More one on one training in the beginning. The training process was great, but I feel that more one on one could be beneficial.

Financial Repersentative

Current Employee - Financial Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Run your own practice, manage your own schedule, commission based salary rewards hard workers. Internship training program polished and comprehensive. Learn allot about personal financial planning. Commissions can be very large.

Cons

Base stipend impossible to live on, work is a grind and commission compensation can take a very long time to receive.

Continue the excellent training program. Spend more on employee retention programs.

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Everything that is bad about this job in the beginning is what is great about it when you hit fifty. I have no boss, I dont work Friday's, and I have 1,200,000 of recurring revenue. Such a great opportunity.

Cons

The young people starting have to realize this is not a contest to see how much you can make in year one. Just hang in there and pour it back into the business. All worth it.

We are lucky to have Shlifske running the firm. Our local MP Goris is phenomenal

Great experience

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are not told what to do and its like having your own business. Can make a lot of money also

Cons

hard to build client base in the beginning. have to be ok with calling a lot of people and meeting with them

Northwestern Mutual Photos