Northwestern Mutual

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.6 1,259 reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske

John E. Schlifske

Pros
  • If you are one of the few that make it (5%), there is unlimited income potential (in 54 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some (in 107 reviews)

• No base salary, commission based work is one of challenge for me (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights
1,259 Employee Reviews

Awesome Environment

Financial Representative (Former Employee) Buckhead, GA

ProsThe people you work with are absolutely great and are very willing to help. They truly want you to succeed

ConsI really cannot think of any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Summer Internship

Summer Internship (Former Employee)

ProsFantastic opportunity to get an understanding of the insurance and wealth management industry. Great culture that truly emphasis the interests of every customer regardless of their wealth level or products purchased. Despite the implications of being a summer intern, I had the opportunity to directly interact with customers, perform market research, and the opportunity to experience the day-to-day tasks that are performed by the typical employee.

ConsDespite the acceptance of my application, the office that I worked at assured me that my work documents (I am a Canadian student studying in the U.S.) were in order, they failed to perform their due diligence until after I began my summer internship. After three weeks of work (which was unpaid) informed me that they had never before seen the visa that I currently held and terminated my summer internship. A simply transition to an F1 visa would have ensured that my employment could have continued, especially since I was offered the opportunity in December, which was more than enough time to transition from my visa to a F1 student visa. Originally my visa did warrant investigation by the individual that hired me, but as my employee information was being processed, I was informed of the issue that another member working at Northwestern Mutual informed me of the obscurity of my visa and that it would have to be double checked (four months after they had looked over my visa and application). Every other aspect of the internship (from my brief time there) was extremely professional and fulfilling, with multiple opportunities to understand the responsibilities of employment at Northwestern Mutual.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs described in the Cons section of my experience, my brief time at Northwestern Mutual was very professional and fulfilling, unfortunately the process in which I was hired was contrary to the overall culture that I witnessed during my times there. More complete and thorough recruitment practices would be beneficial. While I was extremely pleased with my time working for Northwestern Mutual I was very disheartened by the way in which my employment was handled.

A place to start a business with a proven system.

ProsI have been here for 10 years and I am very happy. The flexibility and Income I receive are great. At Northwestern we focus on Financial planning. Northwestern Mutual has now become a major player in Wealth Management. They have a great system to help new Representatives succeed. Amazing training.

ConsIt takes 3-5 years to build practice. But once you do you will be overpaid for the rest of your life.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate Financial Representative

Associate Financial Representative (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsGreat culture and work life balance

ConsNot alot of growth opportunity

Great Comapny

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Pensacola, FL

ProsGreat training, advanced support, and great products

ConsIf you dont want to be a business owner then this isnt the company for you

Amazing company to work for

Financial Representative Assistant (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsKnowledge that you learn. The training is great and very helpful. The home office provides the best service, if you are stuck on anything they can help

ConsI cant think of anything that i would consider a con. if you are an assistant, the pay is kind of low.

Advice to Senior Managementyou will grow no matter what. talk to reps who have been here a long time and get ask for great advice.

Great Company

Sales (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat management, support & pay. Flexible hours and a very fast paced upbeat enviorment

ConsNo cons really, you have to work hard! Thats about it

Sr. Budget and Expense Associate

Senior Budget and Expense Associate (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThis company is dedicated to the policyowner and it's employees. There are many perks given and the work life balance is great.

ConsThe pay here is often lower then what you see a salary for a similar job with another company. They contribute that to the great pension plan that is offered along with the "free" lunch that is not so free since they add that cost in your total compensation package.

Wonderful People and great teamwork

Investment Operations (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat working environment. People are really nice and collaborative.

ConsSchedule is kind of sticky

Advice to Senior ManagementAssign responsibilities carefully to facilitate overall performance

Associate Agent

Associate Agent (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsVery team oriented atmosphere, excellent benefits, training and plenty of room for growth for a motivated individual.

ConsNothing to say in regards to cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep encouraging and grooming your associate's to be the best that they can be.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!