Northwestern Mutual

3.7 1,129 reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske

John E. Schlifske

1,129 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Flexibility, Unlimited income potential, and co-workers"
    in 47 reviews
  • "Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work"
    in 35 reviews
Cons:
  • "You only make money if you sell life insurance policies to your friends and family"
    in 97 reviews
  • "No base salary, Have at least 6 months of salary saved"
    in 35 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Biggest Ripoff for an Intern

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for less than a year

ProsNone, I regret ever taking the internship.

ConsAs a 100% commission based sink or swim program it is in their best interest to pack as many interns into their office as possible. They feed off interns making hundreds of cold calls all day to their family and friends in order for the full time reps to sell them products. Their mentorship is a joke and it offends me that they even call this an internship.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some sort of regular pay and training program to the interns

Very taxing on your self esteem

Charlotte, NC

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is great to develop the courage to network and hear about the ups and downs of the industries that employ your clients.

ConsBut, the sense of being the person in the room that everyone wants to avoid grows very tiring. Some of the advisers, at time, burn their clients for fees (though, on the whole this practice is less rampant than some might think). Overall, it is not a high energy, high satisfaction place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementInstitutionalize sales.

They bring you in as an intern to harvest your contacts for their current reps.

College Financial Representative (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for less than a year

ProsWork-life balance
The harder you work, the more you get.

ConsInadequate training
Have to split commission on sales with a full-time rep because you can't sell on your own because they don't train you.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually develop a training program.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Representative

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for less than a year

ProsThe sponsor your financial certifications.

ConsThe use their interns to get new business and clients. Work only on commission and the environment is cutthroat and unsupportive. They handicap you when they train you because you will need to go on meetings with older members as you will not know enough-- this way the commission can be split up with the senior reps. Terrible internship experience: little guidance, very little help getting leads or clients, senior representatives not very inviting.

Good opportunity if you can last

Chicago, IL

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for less than a year

ProsHuge ceiling. Great opportunity if you can make it. Solid training program

ConsThey weed you out. If you can't hit your numbers out the gate, you're gone. Commission based, no salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective with new hires, and add a small salary to start off.

Sales is the foundation for "financial reps", not finance.

Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for less than a year

ProsPotential Incentives may seem attractive.

ConsPotential Incentives are not always worth the effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make employees' education seem worth it to them.

May be a good place to get started in the financial services industry -- but beware of high expenses and very low income

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Good place to gain experience in the financial services industry.
- Quick start-up - no previous experience necessary.

Cons- Payments on the work you do/cases you submit are extremely slow. Expect cash flow to be slow (e.g. several months for insurance cases to clear; longer for investment cases to be paid).
- The Network office will charge you for every possible expense, but takes no interest in making sure you are paid. You are on your own contacting the home office, etc.
- Northwestern as a company is trying to shift to the fuller picture of financial planning, but still has a very strong slant towards insurance. This is reflected in incentives, etc. since they are purely focused on insurance.
- Upper management spends 95% of time recruiting new representatives; 5% focused on current representatives.

Terrible

Houston, TX

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time for less than a year

ProsYou are on your own time

ConsNo help
All they want is money
Have to know wealthy people

TERRIBLE SCAM COMPANY DO NOT WORK HERE

Campus Recruiter (Former Employee)
Wellesley, MA

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than a year

ProsThey pay for your trips to Milwaukee , WI to learn more which is nice for development... However I find it hard to find any pros about this company considering they pay DIRT ( 33K for Campus Recruiter) and they want you working 60 hours a week traveling to every campus and still come in at 7AM!

ConsHORRIBLE PAY: I made 30 K as a receptionist and was promoted to Campus Recruiter and was given a raise to 33,000 which was not much better...

NO VACATION TIME: after 1 year was only 5 days and this included sick time so god forbid I had a cold I still had to come in and work unless I wanted to have NO time off for the holidays..

AWKWARD WORKING SPACE : Because most of the people working there were selling life insurance and FAILING AT IT and then getting fired, ti was a sad environment to work in, no one was ever there very long and they were all miserable.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP HIRING YOUR FAMILY , let people take lunch breaks and give them a pay they deserve!

Terrible Interning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for less than a year

ProsPaid well compared to other internship positions, but not compensatory enough for the work. Definitely learned how to put up with unfriendly and self-serving people in an office environment.

ConsThe internship program is just a way for NWM to get more clients and make more money-- if you don't already know 20 possible leads when you arrive you are considered useless. If you do have the leads and can make your family friends buy insurance products, you will be very successful. The managing director used his fraternity connections to fulfill that purpose. Not a good office to work for if you are a woman or a minority-- the office is like a frat house for 20-30 somethings.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using interns to make money and actually teach them something. You lure interns in with good looking job responsibilities only to completely disregard them once they start working.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northwestern Mutual CEO John E. Schlifske. All 1,129 reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees.