Northwestern Mutual

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.7 1,241 reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske

John E. Schlifske

Pros
  • If you are one of the few that make it (5%), there is unlimited income potential(in 54 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some(in 107 reviews)

• No base salary, commission based work is one of challenge for me(in 40 reviews)

1,241 Employee Reviews

Best culture there is

ProsIntegrity, sales philosophy, and mutuality

ConsCommissioned career is hard for a lot of people

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a great job and investing in new tech

Great Company

Sales (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat management, support & pay. Flexible hours and a very fast paced upbeat enviorment

ConsNo cons really, you have to work hard! Thats about it

Collaborative Environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsGreat people, everyone is very helpful. You can call up a perfect stranger and they will help. Excellent benefits. People in the home office still have a pension which is almost unheard of. Very good work life balance.

ConsConsensus driven organization. Until everyone agrees you don't move forward. Also very old school in use of technology. Meetings are still held face to face and working from home happens rarely depending on the department you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should do what it takes to keep good workers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internship

Financial Services Intern (Former Employee)

ProsThe pros of interning at Northwestern is that it gives you insight into the corporate world. You get to observe first hand how to handle clients and how to use certain software that can be useful in other positions. Because the company is so big, theres a variety of people that can help you and offer guidance. You could possibly earn a lot if you bring in a lot of new clients.

ConsI worked under an agent so the internship was based more on sales and bringing in clients even if it came from family and friends which seemed a little invasive. The work was a little mundane as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better training programs to develop interns to work in positions where they can excel in.

Great product, great training, behind the times technologically

Associate Financial Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat product to believe in, work for individual representatives who are flexible. NM cares for their clients and the good reps are great to work for. If the rep really cares, it makes helping the clients easy.

ConsTechnology is behind the times, and they are working hard to catch up. Dealing with clients who expect everything to be digital, mobile, downloadable can be difficult when the company isn't quite there yet.

Sr. Budget and Expense Associate

Senior Budget and Expense Associate (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThis company is dedicated to the policyowner and it's employees. There are many perks given and the work life balance is great.

ConsThe pay here is often lower then what you see a salary for a similar job with another company. They contribute that to the great pension plan that is offered along with the "free" lunch that is not so free since they add that cost in your total compensation package.

Great company to gain professional experience, horrible to take home a paycheck

Financial Representative (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsNationally recognized internship program. You get hands on experience dealing with clients and prospects and work with other financial reps to develop your practice. Great training program overall.

ConsStrictly commissioned based pay, which is extremely difficult for a college grad. A lot of cold calling and rejection, and you feel like you're thrown to the lion's den when you meet with a client for the first time alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain talented reps, pay them a small base salary while they're getting their business off the ground.

Financial Analyst Intern

ConsLack of training
    Less career opportunity
    Poor leadership
    Poor senior management

Company with a lot of room to grow

College Financial Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsYou will learn a lot on the job and through materials given to you at the start of the position.

ConsCompeting with many colleagues and cold calling friends/family.

My experience was okay for my first job.

Financial Representative (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsVery helpful and supportive. Good training program and fun environment to be in.

ConsHave to spend a lot of money and time to be successful with this company.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!