Northwestern Mutual

3.7
1,496 Reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske
John E. Schlifske

Pros
  • Unlimited income potential, office culture, ten week program (test drive the industry) (in 56 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some (in 119 reviews)

• There is no base salary so getting started is very difficult (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Experience of a former satisfied employee

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

This company is a solid and reputable company in the Milwaukee marketplace and community. Opportunity exists and support is evident

Cons

Different locations can produce some inconveniences, but nothing that cannot be easily overcome.

Stay the course, the company is headed in the right direction.

Life as an Associate Financial Representative

Current Employee - Associate Financial Representative in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Associate Financial Representative in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Northwestern Mutual is a great opportunity to learn about the finance industry. Highly recommended for new college graduates or career changers hoping to add experience to their resume in the field finance. In general, the position is flexible and provides for a great deal of independence, especially if you're willing to work hard and learn the business in the first couple of years. I have built some of my strongest friendships with current and former employees.

Cons

Pay is below average for the industry. Work can seem tedious at times.

Put half as much effort into building and motivating your team as you do into building your clients and you'll be exponentially more successful.

A lot of upside, and a lot of downside

Current Employee - College Financial Representative in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - College Financial Representative in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Great Commission - 50% for interns, 87% for first yr reps
    Flexible - you make your own schedule , but if you don't produce you'll be let go
    No salary cap - make as much as you can sell

Cons

No base salary
    Mentally tough position

Management should give reps first starting out a salary, just like the give interns 100$ per week. That would decrease turnover.

Interns usually do best in this position and I feel its because they had a base salary starting out

Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexibility if you're having success. You can choose your hours, take the time off that you need, and schedule meetings that fit your timeline. Unlimited earnings potential and you'll build great relationships along the way.

Cons

Income can be inconsistent and the career is no cakewalk. The retention rate here is incredibly low. You'll have to fight everyday to schedule meetings and to create business. Nothing is handed to you. Most people won't make it in this career so be prepared for a high level of stress.

Training could be better. Looking back at my first year in the business I'm disappointed with how ill-prepared I was to be a "planner" I felt like I was coached up in certain areas like insurance, but let down on the investment side. I don't think I was prepared for how difficult this career would be.

Full service financial planning

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Potential for high earnings, competitive culture

Cons

No base salary, tough to break in to and establish business

Best decision I ever made

Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Atmosphere, culture, values, opportunities, just to name a few.

Cons

The start up of building a client base is harder than you think it is....worth it though!

If you can network, its a good place to work

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Good pay once you build a clientelle. They have a great internship program, provide training pay your licensing fees, and pay you to do it. Very helpful staff to get you into the market.

Cons

When you start to sell, you start at zero. Absolutely no clients. When you do find clients, and need help to sell to them, whoever helps you will take a cut of the sale and do most of the work.

Turn and Burn Scam 0% chance of succeeding and you end up owing them thousands

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tremendous training. Learn how the business world works. Get experience in sales. Learn how to conduct yourself on the phone. Learn what it means to work hard in a business setting. If you view it as an internship it can be quite helpful.

Cons

You are asked and expected way too much and managers put way too much pressure on you. You have to contact everyone you have ever met, especially your close friends and family, and ask them awkward questions about their finances. You are obligated to bring "veteran" reps with you to all of your meetings and in some cases that rep is under experienced, makes your friend feel uncomfortable, forces them into something they do not want to do and something that does not make sense for them or their family. Some reps do not act in the best interest of your clients, they are just looking to make money off of them. One rep ruined relationships with some of my friends that no longer speak to me because of it. Once you have exhausted all of your contacts your time is basically over. The scam is basically set up so that veteran reps do not have to do any cold calling to find new clients, they just hire new reps that don't know any better that set meetings up with people that trust them, and the veteran reps gain new clients especially after you leave. There is about a 2% chance of you making it past 3 years. Once you leave and your friends cancel their policies down the road you end up having to pay back everything you made.

Stop the scam. Stop taking advantage of younger/new reps to gain more business.

I had a great experience interning as a financial representative.

Former Employee - Financial Representative Intern in Westport, CT
    Former Employee - Financial Representative Intern in Westport, CT

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, good interpersonal business experience

Cons

Slow start to earning a consistent income

Great mentors, should focus on developing young employees phone communication skills

Very rewarding. I'm able to make a positive impact on my clients lives by preparing a strong financial plan.

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unlimited earning potential; you're your own boss; you are paid your worth, not just how long you've been there; you make your own schedule.

Cons

Only downside, Ive seen people fall victim to the flexible schedule and make no money.

Northwestern Mutual Photos