Northwestern Mutual Reviews

1,369 Employee Reviews

1. Finance Rep

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Northwestern Mutual (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company philosophy and environment.

Cons

Barriers to entry, very difficult to get started.

Financial Representative

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Integrity, Longevity, Good Reputation, No Bailout, Retains 96% of clients, positive outlook, training, structure, support, pension

Cons

No salary - straight commission

Advice to Management

Add Salary

3. SAS Marketing Data Analyst/Consultant

Former Employee - Consultant in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Consultant in Stamford, CT

I worked at Northwestern Mutual (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for. My supervisor in the Marketing Department is excellent - she allows you to do your job, respects you and willingly educates you on the workings of the Life Insurance sector. She always has made me feel like a member of the group, not "just a contractor". There is a good deal of SAS programming to do as well as the day-to-day work of the analytics team (running reports and occasionally providing answers to questions from outside departments, and also rarely doing some ad hoc data mining.

Cons

1) Not a lot of complex SAS work for the day-to-day SAS programmer in this department, which is actually understandable - this is not a SAS programming position, but an "Analyst" position that requires SAS familiarity. For now and the near future they really need the expertise of an advanced SAS Programmer, but when this work is completed, the need will be for a person with SAS knowledge but not expert knowledge.
    2) Outside of the IS department, and as such sometimes less respect as a programmer.
    3) This company uses a great deal of contractors, often foreign, and as such the pay is lower than the average for the country as a whole for the same skill set.
    4) Tend to hire local people to permanent positions, using "open ended" contacts (some people have worked over a decade on contracts) instead of hiring these workers as permanent employees.

Advice to Management

Insist upon better treatment of the contractors that do most of the work at your firm - they do not get any PTO, have poor medical plans, very poor 401k plans (no company match) and are being used nearly as indentured servants. But then, you already know this, which is the highest crime of the past 15 years in American business: turning your heads away from what you know to be the oppression of these (contractors) workers, taking the position that it's not your responsibility. It is your responsibility, especially since many of these people have been working for you for over a decade. You are simply reducing costs by using mainly H1b and foreign labor at the cheapest rates to make as much profit as possible. This goes against your own claims and mission statements. You are a leader in the Life Insurance sector, so LEAD. Announce that you will not work with vendors who do not provide PTO and matching 401k plans, as well as medical coverage equal to that you provide your own employees. Send a message to the world that Northwestern Mutual cares about it's people, be they permanent employees or contract workers. I don't expect you to take this advice, since you are actually no different than any other predatory American companies, and you'd get fired if you suggested such a thing to the upper echelons. But now I've had my say, and tried. We'll look back on these days like we do now on the 1890's and the Robber Barons some day in the far flung future...

Attractive Internship but Unfufilling

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Great mentorship and camaraderie between financial advisors

Cons

The numbers game. The cold-calling was too much to handle once I exhausted my friends and family network. Further, it was simply just sales--anyone can do it. I felt like I was not serving my accounting/economics degrees at all.

6. Archaic sales methods reminiscent of pyramid schemes

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recruiting process was very good.

Cons

Archaic sales methods that make people feel uncomfortable. 80% of training is manipulative sales techniques, 20% actual product training. Office does not provide water. Much is taken out of your commission due to 'office costs' that you are forced to pay for.
    Do a search for NWM and it's only positive news. Clearly scrubbed any negative material.

Advice to Management

Be upfront.

7. Great Place to Be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meaningful and rewarding - being able to impact people's lives on a daily basis
    Culture - I truly love being able to wake up be excited to go to work
    Career Advanced - Education has always been a top priority to me and the fact that they are willing to pay and invest in my education is very important to me.

Cons

It is a very challenging career, so it definitely requires one to keep their emotions in check.

8. Financial Representative

I worked at Northwestern Mutual part-time

Pros

-great sales training program
    -great coaching
    -ability to make a lot of money
    -phenomenal intern program

Cons

*1099-independently contracted so absolutely no benefits
    *have to pay for your office space and any other office supplies/printing and scanning
    *have to pay to go on company get-a-ways
    *even though you are totally independent and on a 1099, if you sign say, 15 lives, and then decide to leave, Northwestern retains those clients!
    *Very low retention for incoming financial representatives

Advice to Management

Need training system that will retain more potential employees

9. No base pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, great people, great culture. Youthful, energetic atmosphere, even with the older, veteran reps/advisors.

Cons

No base salary makes for a very steep hill to climb as you get started. They also don't stress enough that the model they are expecting is for you to be a business owner from day 1. The commissions are enhanced, but it also costs a lot to start a company and that wasn't made clear enough during the interview process.

Advice to Management

10. Risk Management Consultant -HO(Milwaukee)

Current Employee - Risk Management Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Risk Management Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture and values of Northwestern Mutual cannot be matched. It is a culture of acceptance and inclusion. The commitment that they make to their clients is equally matched to the commitment that they make to the community and their employees.

Cons

It is a very large corporate company. Either it works for you or it doesn't.

11. Overall solid company

Former Employee - College Financial Representative
    Former Employee - College Financial Representative

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Friendly work environment with encouraging support, great training

Cons

We're not focused on the overall picture just life insurance only

Showing 1,369 of 1,863 reviews