Northwestern Mutual

www.northwesternmutual.com
Employer Engaged

Strong internship program focused on providing interns the exact same schedule of a licensed financial planner,

Former Employee - Financial Representative

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exact representation of what working in financial planing is like.
    -Northwestern Mutual also deserves praise for being one of the few ethically sound fortune 100 companies around. Great benefits, you really get the sense that they love their work force.
    -Possibility of extremely high income potential

Cons

-repetitive
    -cold calls are to be expected. Be ready to make over 50 dials a day and only set one or two appointments. Must be good at managing rejection, persistent, and goal oriented. .
    -for the first 2 years of your practice you will work very long hours but you will probably make sub 50k/year. after you take these years to build up your clientele, you should expect to see your earnings increasing substantially. Must be willing to "pay the dues".

Provide more financial assistance to first year reps

associate financial representative

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

great place to work

Cons

I don't have any cons

not for everyone

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

good training, unlimited income potential

Cons

lack of mentoring, 100% commission. poor leadership

a good learning experience

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

lots of room for growth

Cons

Expect a lot of cold calling

good experience

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

very easy process, enjoyed the experience

Cons

a lot of time and energy, pays off however

Financial Learning Experience

Current Employee - College Financial Representative
    Current Employee - College Financial Representative

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Flexibility: your work schedule is completely up to you
    Commission Potential: If you are willing to put the work in this can be a very profitable internship for the amount of hours you work

Cons

Initial phoning: When you first start they will want you to come with a list of 100+ names ready to call. This is a reachable target but not always fun to call on friends and family. That stated, my best closing and success rates were when I was calling on people I already knew, and specifically trying to reach out to people I thought would benefit from Northwestern's products and services.

Great Management and support throughout my internship. The greatest benefit I have noticed for myself is the ability to come to upper management with any questions within the financial industry, whether for an open case of mine or even just something I had been curious about.

Seemed pretty scammy of an organization, representatives were cryptic with what you would be doing from the get go.

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Decent sales and general experience in finance, encourages literacy in financial jargon and investment packages sold to individuals.

Cons

Not much support or emphasis on employee development, work seems rather menial serving only the profit goals of the company.

Excellent Experience. Especially if you are driven and have a knack for sales and self-promotion.

Former Intern - College Financial Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Intern - College Financial Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

office culture, excellent training, self-defined schedule

Other than morning development sessions the time commitment is whatever you want to put into it.
    The compensation is structured such that in general those who work the hardest make the most money.
    Opportunity for the internship to continue into school year on a part-time basis.

If you decide to take this internship schedule as much joint-work (you will learn what it means) as possible in the first couple weeks to get the most out the internship in both compensation and professional growth. No matter how long you stick with the internship the things you learn from working with established reps will help you more than any of the training sessions will.

Cons

Initial success is dependent on having connections in the immediate area. I would not suggest this internship to students who do not have an established network in the area or to students who go to school in a different geographical region. The sales cycle can take some time and unless you plan on continuing part time during school the end of summer deadline will limit opportunities.

Stress the importance of joint work early and dissuade interns from scheduling "networking meetings"

Recruiter prospects: good for learning, pay is way below market value in NYC

Former Employee - Director of Recruiting in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director of Recruiting in New York, NY

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

The people you recruit will work for commission only--that's the most difficult type of recruiting you can do. If you succeed, you'll learn how to find talent and sell as good or better than any recruiter out there. Good training / learning for the basics of recruiting: high activity, hit the phones, referrals, sell the meeting, etc.

Cons

The pay is well below market value in NYC. $45,000 base salary when market value is $65,000 - 70,000 for entry level corporate jobs. Bonus structure, rather than commission, and they're very difficult to hit. Don't expect to make a lot of cash on top of your base in your first year.

Despite the low-ball salary, management has little patience for lack of early results, so it's a revolving door. Average tenure is probably 10 months. Management's strategy is to pay low-salary, avoid giving bonuses, and cycle through people until they strike it rich on a decent recruiter.

Take time to develop your recruiters. Understanding your in a "need results now business," either pay better for experienced recruiters or take time to develop the entry-level talent you recruit. New hires won't really get the hang of it for 6, maybe even 12 months, but many are let go just as they've becoming effective.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Friendly and supportive staff
    Great working environment

Cons

I enjoyed my position. I can not think of any cons

Northwestern Mutual Photos