Northwestern Mutual

Northwestern Mutual Reviews

4.2

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske
John E. Schlifske

Pros
  • Unlimited income potential, office culture, ten week program (test drive the industry) (in 56 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some (in 119 reviews)

• There is no base salary so getting started is very difficult (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Basic questionnaire

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

No salary cap. Ability to grow your own business and always grow as a professional. Freedom of making your own schedule & truly feeling like a business owner.

Cons

100% commission based. Tough to get off to a quick start. Overall, pretty hard work. Not easy, but it's simple.

n/a

A career you can be proud of...

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Northwestern Mutual has the highest ratings by the major rating services and has always had the highest ratings. They are the only company that can say that. Futune magazine has ranked them most admired 25 years in a row. Northwestern Mutual has the best products, hands down. They have a great retirement program for they employees and they pay for 3/4's of their health insurance. They are a mutual company, which means they are owned by policy holders. Northwestern Mutual does a great job at training new financial reps. They also continue the training throughout your career. Northwestern Mutual has been around for 150+ years.

The best part of this career is that I get to make an impact of people's lives. I am helping people plan for dying too soon, living too long, or becoming sick or injured at some point in their lives. The products and services Northwestern Mutual offers helps people not have to worry about a financial loss. I take great pride in what I do for my clients. I have been with the company for 4 years and look forward to helping many more familes throughout my career.

Cons

There are not any downsides that I can think of. You have to be willing to work hard, but that is with any job.

Keep up the great work. Continue to recruit smart and driven individuals.

Great company, difficult career, worthwhile experience.

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Binghamton, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Binghamton, NY

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Lots of responsibility and flexibility given to interns. Also, it was a good educational opportunity and the other financial reps were extremely friendly, cooperative, and willing to help. Product line is strong and I felt comfortable standing behind it.

Cons

Deceptively difficult. Most interns in the program were unable to make any sales. It requires a networking skill that most college students don't have, and it's difficult to enter the job without an established network of contacts to build a customer base from.

As an intern, I met the management at a regional conference. They all seemed like trully honest people developing a private company with stronger morals and a sense of responsibility to their customers than their publically traded competitors. The numbers speak for themselves.

Great opportunity, but now what your actually getting into before you start

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Great opportunity to learn from others. You get to work with people and also learn about your own financial future and security as well. The people for the most part are really nice. I met a few really great people there who really took me under their wing and showed me the ropes.

Cons

All commisioned based. Very tough business to break into without strong personal connections beforehand. While the majority of employees are competent, there are a few that are maybe not so much. Not much office camraderie because most of the employees are in the field.

I would tell senior management to give a realistic view of how the business works before hiring. While I did not mind the tough work, I felt almost duped when I started. But overall the senior management was very helpful and were great people to learn from. Also, they were very genuine.

If you love sales you will love this career

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

To be your own boss. Take time off when you want it. Schedule your days to your needs. Communicate with many people daily. Solve real life issues that affect people in the future. Your income potential is dependant of you. The group I was with spent a lot of time training, and building a well balanced team. You can get valuable advice from just about anyone. The systems put in place maximize productivity. The leaders within the company are very positive outgoing people. The wealthier the market you get into the more money you can make. Did I mention you make your own hours?

Cons

It is very hard to get started. You need to devote a lot of time up front, when you don't know you will make it. It is a commission’s based career. You have to sell the rest of your life. In the begging you will experience huge business cycles. Prospecting clients is not that easy at first, and getting referrals. The job may feel redundant. You have to pay for everything. A rep may tell you that they make a lot of money, but much of it goes to pay expenses. All in do what you love and you with succeed!

Spend more time working with the interns. Watch what they are doing to make sure they are getting out of their warm market. Help them get comfortable with phoning and getting referrals. Show the people selling life insurance the benefits and how it works with a well rounded portfolio.

Good job, average career opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Good Job security, good people, fair pay.

Cons

Conservative, relationship-based culture can negatively impact innovation and growth. Emphasis on who you know and not what you know

Reward performance not popularity. Rotate upper management into better suited roles in order to manage change required to continue to compete and retain highly skilled motivated staff and protect against stagnation. The future leaders of the company need to be different than some of the current senior management in place at the company. The problem is that current senior management is deciding who will be the future leaders with their bias influencing their decisions.

A great place to work at any age!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, NY

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Good opportunities, good compensation, lots of chances to network. If you become an Advisor you'll get the opportunity to do detailed financial planning, so you'll also be making a difference in peoples' lives.

Cons

Same as normally associated with sales career for the sales force. Paths besides sales have less career guidance given to them; this can help or hinder depending on your ability to be self guided. Most of the experience depends on the type of manger you get.

Basically to stay the course; our dividends remain higher than average because our investment teams don't get caught up in bubbles but instead rely upon fundamentals to guide their investments.

A realistic approach to an excellent commisioned opportunity~Pro's & Con's

Current Employee - Financial Representative - College Intern in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative - College Intern in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

As a college student, the best reason to begin a practice as a financial representative with NMFM would be the unlimited possibilities and amount of knowledge and hands-on personal training that you have made available to you. You are given the keys needed to suceed in this company and are provided with a full support staff dedicated to your growth so you are not left alone. There are financial stipends available to you as student to help you survive as you build your commision, too!

Cons

Commission is the up and downside. While the amount of money that you can make is endless, it is also difficult to build. Typically, within your first few years, you may have to have a part time job alongside this career just to have a steady flow of income coming in. Thre are different financial incintives made available to you depending on the type of contract you are in but comission is still COMMISSION and not reliable.

Encourage the experienced agents who work with rookies to be more lenient in thier commision splits. They are already in a position that is stable and i feel that they should be willing to share more of the commision that they split with the new rep's that they are going on appointments with. This is fair, not only for ethical reasons, but also for the sheer fact that they would not have seen the new clients if it werent for the new agens who'd set the appointments up.

Northwestern Mutual- Protecting Financial Security Through Enduring Relationships

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

The opportunity to learn about the financial field is a great asset that NMFN brings. Not only that, the internship program has been in the Top 10 Internships, rated by Vault.com, for the past 13 straight years. You get the chance to do real work, as you have your own client base, you arrange your own schedule, and you have weekly meetings with management to keep you on track with your work and goals. It gives you a great chance to see if you can hack in the commissions world, and if you can't then you did not waste that much time since it won't take you long to realize if you are cut out for the business.

Cons

You are definitely always busy, which can be good and bad. If you are not busy, you won't survive long since you won't be making much of an income. Also, you have to learn how to accept rejection. A lot of it. People will say no to you on the phone, in person, through email, and by not responding to you at all, which is the worst. You can strain friendships and go into debt in the beginning so you are not handed a list of people to meet with. You call who you know and that is how you start out in the business.

Senior management usually have all succeeded in the business. They are always helpful and always willing to set up a time to discuss strategies or scenarios.

Best job oportunity ever!

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Crystal Lake, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Crystal Lake, IL

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

The most amazing place to work if you are trying to help people. It has the best dividends and can not be beat by other companies. Working for other companies and recommending their products over that of Northwestern Mutual's would be short changing your clients serious money in the long run. I believe in Northwestern Mutual and would strongly encourage hard workers to try this job.

Cons

Some of the management was a little pushy at times and would not accept your way of doing things. Some of the critisism was not just constructive - some of it was destructive. Not very compatable with lazy workers or people who have a fear of talking to people about products or sales.

Require set goals by the end of the week that are necessary to obtain the stipend check at the end of the week.

Northwestern Mutual Photos