Northwestern Mutual

www.northwesternmutual.com
  www.northwesternmutual.com

Northwestern Mutual Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske
John E. Schlifske

Pros
  • Unlimited income potential, office culture, ten week program (test drive the industry) (in 56 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some (in 119 reviews)

• There is no base salary so getting started is very difficult (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

This job is fun....and stressful...and high paying...and low paying

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

- Unlimited Earning Potential
    - Unlimited Flexibility
    - Ability to actually make a difference
    - Ability to Learn More than you ever would have known about financial services

Cons

- Straight commission is both exciting and stressful
    - Joint work is good from a learning perspective, but keep in mind these reps are also your competitors
    - Constant reporting of numbers gets a little old

This business is built on independence and flexibility, constant monitoring of numbers even for high performers can get very annoying.

Great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Great training, leadership, and support. Overall a great learning experience with a top notch organization.

Cons

Compensation package is commission only, which makes it difficult starting out.

Keep it up!

Best place to work!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Savannah, GA

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Resources are plentiful! If there's something you don't know you can always ask the home office. They are there to cover you and assist in any way.

Cons

Some systems need to be more user friendly, but they are addressing that.

Keep putting your staff first, they make the policies happen!

Depends on the division

Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

The free lunch is good and always filling, there is room to work independently (even as an intern), and there is a lot of opportunity to show strengths. The downtown campus is nice, but Franklin is by far the place to be. Mostly everyone enjoys working there and the culture is good. There are socializing opportunities with clubs and many departments have social events, especially during the summer.

Cons

That being said, the division you work for will make or break the experience. Middle management can be great in some places and down right ineffective in others. There are many "lifers" that make the work environment depressing at times. For many it is a great place to dig in and be unnoticed, for a few it is possible to excel. However, getting noticed by upper management strictly depends on your direct manager and whether or not they are your advocate or not.

There are many many "throw backs" that know their job and have done it for decades. While life insurance is mostly unchanged in that time, the technology used to administer and maintain it are changing. Each new update to IS stretches the ability of the aging workforce.

In all, NM caters to their lifers well but has not gotten the grip on engaging a younger workforce.

Boston Group

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Honestly this is a fantastic place to work. The company is the best in the industry and I am proud to say I work for Northwestern Mutual. The support from the other reps and advisors in the office can not be found elsewhere. The management is top notch. There is no politics in this office, it is strictly performance based which is very nice. You get what you put in to this job and if you can keep up then you will be very well off. The "Boston Group" is very professional and has only top-notch advisors and reps. There are no slackers in this office. If you are a slacker that somehow found your way into the door, you are not here for long.

Cons

Very hard to build your practice initially. 100% commision based....Although that could be a good thing.

Management does a good job in this office. I feel as the more competitive the better. I have no further advice.

2nd year employee, started as an intern

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

You can set your own schedule and are in charge of your own success. They have an excellent reputation and great training program

Cons

Can take a long time to get your business started. You are forced to begin your sales with people you already know before you can grow

A small compensation package for new employees would be very helpful for their first year at the company. Some sort of lead generation would be nice.

An alright place to work

Current Employee - Systems Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Systems Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Northwestern Mutual is an extremely stable job. The company is financially sound. Once hired, you can safely assume you will always have a job. They offer very competitive health insurance programs, 401k matching, and a pension.

Cons

Despite recent improvements, the compensation within Information Systems is still lower than industry standards and high performers often aren't rewarded. Individuals who start with the company are at a disadvantage when compared to experienced hires.

Also, the company is very process driven. The majority of processes within the company are bloated and take an excessive amount of time to complete.

My advice is specific to the Information Systems area. A greater emphasis needs to be placed on the technical infrastructure of the company. Employees would benefit from more training/certification of new technologies.

Intern Position

Former Employee - Intern in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Intern in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

You get a 100 stipend each week as long as you reach your activity goals for each week. Also culture is good.

Cons

The cons at Northwestern Mutual was that everything was a slow process. Trying to get your sales through to the home office took a long time.

Managment at Northwestern Mutual was very competent.

Amazing Internship Experience

Current Employee - Financial Representative Intern in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Representative Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Ability to run my own financial services practice. The tools and resources were always there for me when I needed them.

Cons

No business leads are handed out, we must come up with them on our own. Not necessarily a bad thing as it encourages us to meet with the perspective clients that WE enjoy working with.

Continue to hire more interns!! The culture is always more fun when we are learning together. I will always remember this experience. THANK YOU!

A Great Internship

Former Employee - Financial Representative Intern in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Financial Representative Intern in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Northwestern will provide you the opportunity to have one of the greatest internship experiences you could encounter. You basically are performing the same job as the full time reps while also learning valuable information that will always carry with you. Whether you stay full-time with them or not, your experience there will help you get a job practically anywhere.

Cons

You have to create your own market in which to initially begin selling, which can be tough for some people.

I feel Northwestern is run very well on all levels of management. They give you the tools to succeed, so no alterations need to be made.

Northwestern Mutual Photos