Northwestern University

Northwestern University Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Northwestern University President Morton Schapiro

Morton Schapiro

Pros
  • The benefits cannot be beat, and work-life balance is outstanding(in 21 reviews)

• Great Benefits- Can get great tuition assistance and healthcare benefits(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance options available(in 8 reviews)

• They are reluctant to terminate problematic Faculty and Staff at the management level(in 5 reviews)

Great environment and collaboration opportunities in a multidisciplinary research setting.

Research Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMedical school campus is right at downtown by the lake, The research facilities are outstanding, and a great collaboration opportunity with the clinicians.

ConsCommuting to NU downtown campus without any train lines in the vicinity could be time-consuming.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany layers of administration makes things difficult and time-consuming. More open discussions about the practical problems could be one way to resolve.

Perfect University for a posdoc

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat environment, resources and funding. Perfect location

ConsI had no problems while working at Northwestern

Good place to live and work.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) Evanston, IL

ProsProvides a very flexible and comfortable working environment. good place to live (very close to Chicago downtown). Beautiful Michigan lake and city skyline.

ConsIt is extremely cold at winter. if you don't like such a cold weather, I do not recommend.
    It is not enough salary (postdoctoral researcher salary) to live in this location

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Satisfied

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPrestigious university. Good working environment and hours.

ConsNorthwestern University vs. Feinberg School of Medicine vs NMFF. It is often confusing which one I fall under and therefore which departments to call when IT services are needed.

Review of temp assignment at Northwestern University

Data Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLaid back casual environment in a great location in Streeterville. Generous benefits and tuition assistance when you are a permanent employee.

ConsManagement had no idea what the employees were doing. Co-worker spent 8 hours a day on FaceBook and doing her homework. No one seemed to care because she was cute and bubbly. This had been going on for years. When she was called on this by a co-worker, she got the woman fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't effectively manage someone from another campus/location.

Great research for an undergraduate

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are a lot of great research opportunities as an undergraduate. I have worked here as a research assistant for a biology laboratory for disease therapies for atherosclerosis. My mentors are helpful, and I have learned a substantial amount about science research from the job. Plus, it looks great on a resume!

ConsThe school in general is very demanding on economics and pre-medical students. Definitely not an easy school, by any means.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't expect so much from undergraduates, in terms of courses

I study at Northwestern for my PhD

PhD Student (Current Employee) Evanston, IL

Prosworking hours are flexible as long as you attend weekly meeting and finish the job your advisor assigned;
    course work is a little heavy but you do learn knowledge;
    you have holidays and 2 weeks off in summer and 2 weeks off in Christmas.

Consthe research work is not easy to handle, you should have a strong willpower, office space is limited

Research Assistant

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Evanston, IL

ProsPeople are very friendly and professional. The professors here are excellent in their area.

ConsThe weather is really cold here...

Worked in the psycho-legal studies department while working on my masters..

Technical Researcher (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat research experience; interesting project

ConsCan't think of any.. the work was fun, meaningful, learned so much can't say a bad thing..

Advice to Senior ManagementLinda Teplin and Karen Abrams were the managers/investigators of the project I worked on and I found them exciting, approachable, and invested. They were busy as heck so didn't see them everyday but when they were around I got nothing but positive energy from them.

Poor management of Alumni Relations

Program Assistant Alumni Relations & Development (Current Employee) Evanston, IL

ProsGood benefits including medical, time off, etc.

ConsVery top down, old man's club. Lack of employee satisfaction. Compensation is low among our peers. Alumni are rude and extremely privileged.

Worked for Northwestern University? Contribute to the Community!