Northwestern University

Northwestern University Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Northwestern University President Morton Schapiro

Morton Schapiro

Pros
  • The benefits cannot be beat, and work-life balance is outstanding (in 21 reviews)

• Great Benefits- Can get great tuition assistance and healthcare benefits (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance options available (in 8 reviews)

• They are reluctant to terminate problematic Faculty and Staff at the management level (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people to work with!

ProsDedicated co-workiers and a friendly work environment.

ConsI don't have any cons at this time.

Great place to work. Wonderful people and community

Director (Current Employee) Evanston, IL

ProsHave worked hear 13 years, and will continue to for some time. Lots of opportunity for motivated folks to advance.

ConsLarge, decentralized decision making can make it difficult to affect change. Opportunities exist for promotion, but often require evaluating other schools and departments. Education benefit could be better.

PhD program in engineering

PhD Candidate (Current Employee) Evanston, IL

ProsThe campus is great--particularly in the summer--and the research is cutting-edge with many experts at your disposal. Collaboration in research is highly encouraged. Depending on the adviser and the field, the other graduate students are sociable. Proximity to Chicago is also a plus.

ConsThe Northwestern system is extremely bureaucratic and de-centralized, making any communication with other parts of the university a pain, particularly in the reimbursement of work-related expenses. Again, depending on the adviser, the connections post-graduation can be quite narrow.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical, high-quality research university

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgood core facilities, good collaboration opportunities, benefits are standard for big research universities, good integration with the hospital (e.g. for patient samples)

Consvery few staff scientist positions

Lecturer

Lecturer (Former Employee) Evanston, IL

ProsGreat People, great location along the lake

ConsParking --lack of and the cost for employees
    Pay is monthly

Research

ProsGood company benefits, really flexible schedules

ConsHorrible people to work with, horrible pay

I like the university, but as always there is a lot of weird politics.

Adjunct Lecturer, Humanities (Former Employee) Evanston, IL

ProsBeautiful campus, good facilities with access to everything you need to do the job well, well-known and prestigious university which can open doors in the future.

ConsVery hard to be promoted above the rank of adjunct lecturer. They know they can do whatever they like with you, and they do. Lots of last-minute changes, classes being cancelled leading to benefits being dropped, etc. A lot of politics. Low salary, especially for an expensive city such as Chicago.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to appreciate their employees more, rather than taking advantage of them.

Good research community, screws over NRSA fellows

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood research community. Downtown location is exciting, plenty of things and restaurants nearby. Decent public transit options. Research is well supported, with core facilities and faculty nearby.

ConsBenefits are decent on paper, however going on NRSA causes you to lose your health insurance and all other employee benefits such as retirement, or pre-tax commuter cards. Taxes are also not taken out of your paycheck when you are NRSA. No one will tell you this is going to happen or give you much instructions. You need to tell Northwestern a dollar amount for how much to withhold from your paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pretending NRSA postdocs aren't employees who don't deserve health insurance and other benefits.

Great School! Not so great career development

ProsGreat Brand
    Well Respected Programs
    Nice People
    Great work enviornment

ConsLow Pay
    No career laddering/Opportunities for advancement
    No true incentives

Best place I have worked

Director (Current Employee) Evanston, IL

ProsCollaborative, civil, good benefits. The staff are appreciated and included. Salaries are nationally competitive. The lakefront campus is beautiful, and there is a shuttle to downtown Chicago every 15 minutes. The portable tuition benefits are amazing if your kids are college-age.

ConsI really cannot think of a negative -- it is the best place I have ever worked. I have had no major issues or encountered a lot of red tape in my 8+ years here. The parking ticketing office is unrelenting, though.

Worked for Northwestern University? Contribute to the Community!