Northwood University

Updated January 9, 2015
3.1

Keith Pretty
1 Rating

Love the job, hate the bureaucracy.

Current Employee - Web Developer in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Midland, MI

I have been working at Northwood University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are always friendly and helpful. My flexible schedule and tuition reimbursement helps out with my personal needs. Lots of vacation time. Good health care and benefits.

Cons

Undercompensated/undervalued employees. Upper management has no idea what goes on at the lower operating level. No understanding of the needs of clients/students means money is wasted for no reason.

Value your employees more! They have better ideas than you may think. Focus more on what will drive enrollment, rather than petty details like naming conventions.

OK place to work - not competitive in terms of pay

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Midland, MI

I have been working at Northwood University

Pros

flexibility to design your own course
    fair work load
    no micromanaging

Cons

administration is a bit too far removed from the needs of remote faculty
    dead end - no opportunities for remote faculty, even those with excellent track records

try to be more competitive

Teaching was great, central administration not so much

I worked at Northwood University

Pros

Career as professor was very rewarding. Ability to manage the textbook selection and classroom teaching style to best suit the students and subject matter. Great to see the graduates land jobs in their fields of study with the skills they need.

Cons

Central administration decisions were not proactive enough to grow the school as needed. Hiring and salary freezes a tough pill to swallow.

Very dysfunctional

I worked at Northwood University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Small university setting, close relationships can be built with fellow staff members and students and you can build a sense of ownership in the university. Benefits are good, however, they are just as good at other universities.

Cons

Leadership thrives on favoritism, drama, and is driven by their own false assumptions of what other departments are doing/not doing. There is no forward thinking and if you want to move up and advance in the company, more than likely any new ideas that you have will be greeted with cynicism and disgust by the leadership unless you praise current practices. Good people do not stay at Northwood. There is NO vision moving this university forward. The vision is to be bigger and get more students, and there is not clear "value proposition" that is being marketed. Just a bunch of talking heads using big words that they don't understand.

Leaving Northwood was the best decision I ever made. I have more responsibility in my new position at another school, am treated with much more respect and have far less stress in my life.

Do not work here

I worked at Northwood University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As others mentioned the benefits are good. Although similar can be found in other university so might as well say university benefits are good. Schedule is flexible at times.

Cons

Everything. This is not a school but a diploma mill. There is no academic standard, everyone gets a diploma. The top management has no idea what they are doing but are very well paid. The TX campus was recently closed and they are selling off property. It will be surprising if the school survives for long. Short staffed and overworked people below. Very limited on resources but expect high output. It is really really bad. Only work here if you are desperate for a job.

Start over. Nothing much to say since this is a sinking ship.

Tough times

I worked at Northwood University

Pros

Flexible schedule; dedicated work force

Cons

tough economic times have taken toll on staff

Learned what NOT to do as a future executive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, MI

I worked at Northwood University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary in comparison to other institutions; Excellent faculty, staff, and students; Some of the academic programs are seriously top notch or the only ones of their kind in the U.S.; Excellent Adult Degree Program that appeals to non-traditional students and is doing quite well in comparison to the Traditional/Residential Program

Cons

Middle management and executives; Concerned about leadership's vision at times (found there was quite a bit of disconnect between front-line workers and leadership); Silos between some departments made it difficult to communicate and collaborate effectively; Leadership would sometimes be demeaning and disrespectful to subordinate employees; I never received a raise, and was told by long-standing employees that raises were pretty much non-existent (revenue has been a concern as of late)

Work hard to keep good employees... a lot of them left around the time I did and no one seemed to care. You could say we were viewed as "easy to replace" when we realized we didn't want to continue with the nonsense going on.

Manager, Student Life Center

Current Employee - Building Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Building Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Northwood University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great boss, flexible schedule, competitive pay

Cons

slightly outdated, under qualified staff at lower level

more scrutiny before hiring

On a Sinking Ship that has no chance of survival.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Midland, MI

I worked at Northwood University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Time off. You get the entire week between Christmas and New Years Off.
    There is also generous Vacation, Sick and Personal Days available to you.
    Access to some intelligent business professionals, specifically professors.
    Slower Summer because Students are out of school.

Cons

The culture is the biggest con to working with Northwood University, specifically in Admissions. The culture that has been created over the past two years is horrendous. It's a toxic and cancerous department and company to be involved in. Personal opinion, turnover will continue to rise while the VP of Enrollment and the current Director of Admissions are employed by Northwood University. Both of these individuals do not want to hear your opinion or respect it. They've created a culture where you cannot say a word without getting your hand slapped or taken to the principles office. Over the past 3 months, over 45% of the Admissions Staff has been given a verbal warning or written up for no valid reason. The new management is simply trying to show their power of authority by writing people up. Another con is the nights and weekends. They expect you to be in the high schools during the day and with families in their home on nights and weekends. There is literally no work to home life balance, which can cause strife in your own personal families. Another con is that they have been on a pay freeze and hiring freeze for years. When jobs are posted, it is simply because the person employed quit or was let go, not because they are growing and have jobs that need filled. I have never found a company with a culture like this, it's absolutely sickening that HR has let this go on for so long. Take my advice and please do not even consider taking a job with this company because you will regret it. There is not one person in Admissions that wants to work there, they are simply waiting it out to see if Management changes over the next year. Management is also very condescending when they speak with you and treat you as if you are incompetent, when in all actuality you are more competent than they are. They also should stop preaching the value proposition. Every Admissions Representative was trained by the consulting firm and we do not need a weekly reminder about the value proposition. We are adults, we can retain information.

No advice because it wouldn't be appreciated or taken to heart.

Stay Clear! Horrific Culture...

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Midland, MI

I worked at Northwood University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Programs have great curriculum and design. Colleagues are exceptional despite the terrible environment!

Cons

Culture is horrific, ironically leadership does the complete opposite of what is taught in the business leadership programs. Barking orders at staff and no positive team approach makes this a difficult place to want to work.

Treat others as you want to be treated. Instill learning model of programs into how team is lead by their manager.