Northwood University Reviews

Keith Pretty

Working at NU

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Northwood University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a good atmosphere, and I absolutely adored my coworkers who were very helpful, and it was always about teamwork.

Cons

They do not care about the employees. They were looking only to cut expenses, and lots of employees left because they could not stand the pressure.

2. Student Manager

Former Employee - Team Leader in Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Midland, MI

I worked at Northwood University (More than 3 years)

Pros

Faculty were willing to help me develop my management skills and implement my ideas, and also let me learn from mistakes. My management skills have improved dramatically from when I began to where I am now, they also taught me the importance of strong work ethic, customer service and satisfaction, and most importantly to never stop learning. They were willing to let me work around my class schedule and let me put my school work first when necessary.

Cons

I was required to be very flexible (around my class schedule), because of the different timing of events we would host. I never had much of a set schedule, some days I would work at 6:00AM and other days I would start work at 8:00PM, but overall it was a great learning experience, especially because they would give me the opportunity to make decisions and implement new procedures, and the faculty was always there for advice and support.

Advice to Management

Continue allow the student managers to manage, make decisions, and implement new procedures. Continue to be there for advice, and allow us to learn from our successes and our failures. This was the perfect opportunity to practice management techniques I've learned throughout school and apply them to a real workforce.

3. Watch sports get paid

Former Employee - Game Day Operations in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Game Day Operations in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Northwood University part-time

Pros

- Overall easy work to do - Watch sports while making spending money - Supervisors are cool and laid back - Can turn full time during winter break

Cons

- Not much negative things to say except for remembering to log in the hours on blackboard time entry if not it has to be done by hand and business office is hell to deal with

5. Athletic Event Staff

Former Employee - Athletic Event Staff/Student Assistant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Athletic Event Staff/Student Assistant in Miami, FL

I worked at Northwood University (Less than a year)

Pros

Was able to schedule my own hours

Cons

There are no cons of working here

6. Anonymous

Pros

Excellent benefits and leave plans.

Cons

Obvious disconnect between upper management and staff.

OK place to work - not competitive in terms of pay

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Midland, MI

Pros

flexibility to design your own course fair work load no micromanaging

Cons

administration is a bit too far removed from the needs of remote faculty dead end - no opportunities for remote faculty, even those with excellent track records

Advice to Management

try to be more competitive

Love the job, hate the bureaucracy.

Current Employee - Web Developer in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Midland, MI

I have been working at Northwood University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are always friendly and helpful. My flexible schedule and tuition reimbursement helps out with my personal needs. Lots of vacation time. Good health care and benefits.

Cons

Undercompensated/undervalued employees. Upper management has no idea what goes on at the lower operating level. No understanding of the needs of clients/students means money is wasted for no reason.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more! They have better ideas than you may think. Focus more on what will drive enrollment, rather than petty details like naming conventions.

Teaching was great, central administration not so much

Pros

Career as professor was very rewarding. Ability to manage the textbook selection and classroom teaching style to best suit the students and subject matter. Great to see the graduates land jobs in their fields of study with the skills they need.

Cons

Central administration decisions were not proactive enough to grow the school as needed. Hiring and salary freezes a tough pill to swallow.

Very dysfunctional

I worked at Northwood University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Small university setting, close relationships can be built with fellow staff members and students and you can build a sense of ownership in the university. Benefits are good, however, they are just as good at other universities.

Cons

Leadership thrives on favoritism, drama, and is driven by their own false assumptions of what other departments are doing/not doing. There is no forward thinking and if you want to move up and advance in the company, more than likely any new ideas that you have will be greeted with cynicism and disgust by the leadership unless you praise current practices. Good people do not stay at Northwood. There is NO vision moving this university forward. The vision is to be bigger and get more students, and there is not clear "value proposition" that is being marketed. Just a bunch of talking heads using big words that they don't understand.

Advice to Management

Leaving Northwood was the best decision I ever made. I have more responsibility in my new position at another school, am treated with much more respect and have far less stress in my life.

Do not work here

I worked at Northwood University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As others mentioned the benefits are good. Although similar can be found in other university so might as well say university benefits are good. Schedule is flexible at times.

Cons

Everything. This is not a school but a diploma mill. There is no academic standard, everyone gets a diploma. The top management has no idea what they are doing but are very well paid. The TX campus was recently closed and they are selling off property. It will be surprising if the school survives for long. Short staffed and overworked people below. Very limited on resources but expect high output. It is really really bad. Only work here if you are desperate for a job.

Advice to Management

Start over. Nothing much to say since this is a sinking ship.

RSS Feed </> Embed