Norwich University

Dr. Richard W. Schneider

Adjunct Professor at Norwich

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I have been working at Norwich University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work life balance
    Courses are easy to work with
    Helping students in the military

Cons

Due to online format sometimes means teaching all week at all times.

Valuable experiences

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Northfield, VT

I worked at Norwich University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful environment and very clean air!
    Easy access to outdoor sports.
    Students are disciplined and cooperative.

Cons

Winter period is too long and inconvenient.
    It's a ideal place if you like volunteer your time and skills.

Show more care for lower level staff and faculty. They are the ones who work extra hours and also get paid poorly!

Change come from an oath of "I will Try."

Former Employee - Civil Engineering Labratiory Assistant in Northfield, VT
    Former Employee - Civil Engineering Labratiory Assistant in Northfield, VT

I worked at Norwich University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

It is probably one of the most layer back ,professional jobs I've ever had.

Cons

One con, if you don't like snow, is the longer then average winter season.

Upper management need to limit communications between offices less and be more precise with any actions in the upcoming years.

I really enjoyed my time here and if the opportunity ever presents, I'd work here again in a flash.

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Northfield, VT

I worked at Norwich University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had forgotten how much fun it can be to teach undergraduates. I was also granted a great deal of autonomy in lesson planning. Initially I was concerned that the military-themed environment would be "up tight", but the cadets (though respectful) could be thoroughly engaging.

Cons

Initially, I did not have a great understanding my performance expectations and so felt a little tentative, but in a short period of time I was comfortable and relaxed. As an adjunct faculty, it is hard to develop a feeling of community and I felt like something of an outsider.

I felt that the University was a place with a great deal of spirit and a coherent vision.

Poor

Former Employee - Janitor in Northfield, VT
    Former Employee - Janitor in Northfield, VT

I worked at Norwich University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a pretty fast paced work enviorment. If you wanted to stay busy it is easy to find extra work to be done. Plenty of overtime options if you are a hard worker, and need some extra cash.

Cons

Students and Profressors treat everyone else on the campus like 2nd class human beings. The department heads would not stand up for their employees. Dirty job with low pay and little rewards.

Great experience, and valuable lessons

Former Employee - Conference Services Supervisor in Northfield, VT
    Former Employee - Conference Services Supervisor in Northfield, VT

I worked at Norwich University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It is located in a picturesque environment, which is very relaxing. You learn a lot working at a college, and interacting with students. For the most part employees are treated equally, and take their jobs seriously. Cabinet members are involved in the lives of the employees, and really care.

Cons

Some of the managers are very stubborn, and don't like to hear new ideas. They also talk down to their subordinates, not a majority of them but a few who represent the school, more so then others. The school seems very adverse to change, and new ideas.

Don't trust that supervisor's and manager's are simply doing their job because they aren't around, sometimes they are just sitting around.

Overworked and underappreciated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northfield, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northfield, VT

I worked at Norwich University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great sense of pride for working here. Great students.

Cons

Too many big wigs and not enough actual workers.

Treat your employees better so they stop leaving!

Excellent benefits and vacation time, but very stressful job and low pay

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions

I worked at Norwich University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Over four weeks of paid vacation, including an automatic week at Christmas. Norwich pays for most benefits or offers a $300 monthly payout if you are on spouse's benefits. You can use the school's gym and other facilities. It's a really unique environment and can be a really fun place to work.

I loved all of the staff in the admissions office. It's a great team and everyone seems to work very well together. I had two excellent supervisors. I was never afraid to ask questions or talk to them about an issue. The only problem I had was during special events- things in the office got stressful and managements' expectations were too high. It really is A LOT of work.

Best benefit- free Master's degree. They are online programs and very highly recognized. You only pay for the taxes on the degree, so it's about a $30,000 discount that you are getting. Most of the degrees are business or social science focused, so there's not a lot to chose from, but there is an MBA which applies to most fields.

HR is very quick with the hiring process. The school doesn't mind hiring people who will be relocating to take a job there, which is awesome for someone like me who moves around a bit.

You work with the students a lot, and it really is rewarding. This was my favorite part of the job.

Cons

Working in admissions is extremely stressful. They have very high expectations, and you are making at least 300 phone calls a month, sometimes much more. Travel is also very stressful. About 2-3 weeks per a semester, and you spend your entire day meeting with students and are still expected to do you regular office work at night. It's not fun at all.

The pay is very low, $28,000 to start as an admissions representative, and you don't get paid overtime although you work plenty of it, especially in the fall with all of the special events going on. You also have to work two nights a week, which stinks, especially in the winter.

Vermont is also a very expensive place to live, and there's not a lot in the area. I had trouble living alone on my salary, it was difficult to find a decent place to live, and I wasted a lot of gas just driving 10 + miles to the grocery store.

Lower expectations. Lower the work load. When traveling, counselors should just visit high schools and college fairs, no phone calls or file review. It's too stressful. Keep up everything else, I loved working there! Great management (in admissions) and a lot of fun!

excellent place to work

I have been working at Norwich University

Pros

nice, competent, professional colleagues. beautiful buildings and grounds.

Cons

things that may need changing tend to change slowly