Not Your Average Joes

Updated August 11, 2014
Updated August 11, 2014
3.7

Steven Silverstein

Overall, not a bad work environment

Current Employee - Waiter  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Waiter in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Not Your Average Joes full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great staffs at each restaurant in the company that I've been at. Corporate does care about what goes on at each location.

Cons

Restaurant specific management can be a little spotty.

Consistency is a necessity.

Quality company that cares about doing right by the customer and guests

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Not Your Average Joes part-time

Pros

Leadership and promote-from-within mentality allows those who 'buy in' to the company goals to do well.

Cons

The company is corporately managed which takes away some of the local level management decisions.

Fast-paced, fun restaurant

I have been working at Not Your Average Joes

Pros

My coworkers are great, there are many regulars.

Cons

You don't make good money like everybody thinks, two out of three of the managers are the most unprofessional managers I've ever had in my life.

Don't yell at your employees in front of the other staff, or in front of customers. Treat us with respect, and maybe we'll work even harder for you than we already do. Stop posting nasty messages to the staff all around the restaurant. The 5-10 question marks and exclamation points after every sentence doesn't get the point across. It just makes everyone more mad and makes us really not want to listen to you. Stop the favoritism, because that's all the scheduling is based on. Keep the rules equal for everyone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Busy Fast Paced Environment

Current Employee - Sever
    Current Employee - Sever

I have been working at Not Your Average Joes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-High Volume Restaurant
    -Good Money
    -Positive Working Environment
    -Excellent Menu
    -Great Wine List

Cons

-Corporate Feel
    -High Pressure
    -Customer Surveys at every table
    -Not allowed to order employee meals after 5pm
    -No long term growth

Stop trying to become a corporate entity.

Fast-paced restaurant

Current Employee - Food Server  in  North Dartmouth, MA
    Current Employee - Food Server in North Dartmouth, MA

I have been working at Not Your Average Joes part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The co-workers, certain customers, food

Cons

You don't make good money;the management

Treat employees with respect

Genuine customer service, supportive co-workers and managers.

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Not Your Average Joes full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone I work with is really supportive. Especially when I was just starting out (as a server), the other servers, managers, and even some of the kitchen staff frequently asked how I was doing and if I needed help with anything. It was really nice to know that I could always ask if I had a question or was having trouble managing my tasks. The management really emphasizes the importance of the guests and their experience, and we are told to do everything we can to make them happy (I think this should be how all businesses are run, but I know it's not always the case).

Cons

It is very fast paced and you'll never really get a chance to sit down, so you can expect sore feet, especially if you work a double. I haven't worked there for very long yet, but it does seem to take some time and effort to get the amount of hours I want (full time). Management seems to not want to overwhelm you, and you have to prove to them that you want to work and are a good server who will take care of the customers as well as doing whatever side work you're assigned. Benefits are offered, but I don't know the details since I am luckily still covered by my parents' insurance for another few years. I like that my hours are never earlier than 11am, but you have to be careful if you want to make plans with your friends or family in the evening - you might be scheduled to work until only 9pm, but you very well may stay quite a bit later than that, there's no guarantee (but you can certainly help things along be staying on top of your side work and other duties). You do get a pretty generous employee discount on the food - 50%. But it's just for you - if you eat with a friend or family member, the discount does not extend to the food they eat, even if you're paying for it. I'm actually not entirely clear on the details of the discount - it seems to vary a bit depending on whether you've been working a shift or just came in on your own time.

I do wish the schedule came out more than one week in advance. I don't see how it benefits anybody to go just one week at a time, and it's hard to make plans on Sunday, for example, when you only know what you're doing through Wednesday.

Great Experience. Great place to work

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Not Your Average Joes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Upper mgnt supports the restaurants. They care about their mgrs. quality of life. They have ongoing training for mgrs. Bonuses are attainable.

Cons

I have no cons about the company. I had a very positive experience while employed there.

Continued on going training for chefs, Gm's and mgrs. The more you invest in your people, the better return you will get and continue to grow effective mgrs. and leaders.

Fun but a lot of work

Current Employee - Server  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Server in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Not Your Average Joes full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employees, good management, and reasonable pay

Cons

A lot of side work, will be doing side work longer than you serve

There was a lot of effort put in to guest satisfaction, but lacked sometimes in employee satisfaction.

Current Employee - Host  in  Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Host in Beverly, MA

I have been working at Not Your Average Joes part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fellow employees were great to work with. Usually there was a very chill atmosphere. The restaurant really is different from your average restaurant, which is nice.

Cons

The shifts were almost always too short, usually being 1-3 hours. When things got stressful was when managers tried to do our jobs for us.

I worked at NYAJ for about 4 years throughout high school and college.

Former Employee - Server  in  Acton, MA
    Former Employee - Server in Acton, MA

I worked at Not Your Average Joes part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They were always very flexible with my schedule, I learned A LOT, it was the perfect intro to the restaurant world, you get free food sometimes, I made some of my best friends working there

Cons

Management comes and goes, as in any chain restaurant - you have to take the good with the bad. Also, the uniforms changed about 5 times the whole time I worked there and they don't reimburse you. As a poor college student that was not fun. Also, there was normally a lack of communication but that is on everyone's backs.

- Better communication within the company
    - Managers should empower their servers and staff more ie. give tips on how to increase your ppc average, ideas on how to consolidate tasks

Worked for Not Your Average Joes? Contribute to the Community!