Notre Dame

Notre Dame Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Notre Dame President Rev John I. Jenkins

Rev John I. Jenkins

Pros:
  • "Small town, easy to move around, beautiful campus"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Great people, great work-environment, and great benefits"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "South Bend isn't the most exciting city"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Not enough social life at South Bend"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love thee Notre Dame

ProsNice coworkers; Great facilities, resources, and networks; Good benefits for medical care; Amazing retirement account matches; Other wonderful miscellaneous benefits too, especially for those that appreciate football season tickets and bookstore discounts.

ConsDemands/pressure to preserve university brand and mission are extraordinary; Must be a self starter and seek trainings and opportunities

Corporate Sponsorship Intern

Corporate Partnerships Intern (Former Employee)
    Notre Dame, IN

ProsGreat people and work enviornment, passionate about what they do.

ConsNone to speak of from my time at Notre Dame

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Nice place, low pay, not for young people

Web Developer (Former Employee)
    Notre Dame, IN

ProsFree gym, great medical and dental, they double your 401k contribs, nice people

ConsIt's almost impossible to get fired, meaning you work with some redundant and/or incompetent people

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Student employee experience in multiple intern roles: Student affairs, and Finance and Investment Divisions.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Finance Division and the Investment Division are world-class and have an outstanding culture that is an example for other institutions to follow. The employees have a high degree of ethics and security about themselves to make good decisions and participate positively in the organization.

ConsI have no negative comments or criticisms of the financial staff of the university, but I do have criticism of the other divisions. In the Student Affairs division, there is too much conformity and insecurity and unnecessary supervision which prevents employees from fully realizing their potential in serving the Mission of the university. Managers the various departments in student affairs often overstep their role as advisers to students; too many people are employed telling students what they cannot do and there is a "cannot do" response toward many low or zero-cost or innocuous student activities. Not surprisingly, employees of this division are frequently replaced or change roles and sometimes driven out, especially senior staff; those that do stay in a role for a long tenure role are few, but they tend to be very agreeable people. There is definitely too much concern for politics in this division and not enough concern for helping students get the pleasant experience that that their tuition, room, and board pays for.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more outsiders and give longer tenure to good performers; do not tolerate breaches of the University's values by employees and especially directors, assistant directors, and AVPs in administration.

Gotta start somewhere

Compliance Intern (Former Employee)
    South Bend, IN

ProsGreat way to get your foot in the door

ConsThey bossed me around too much :(

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the little boys out of the priests offices

Some units better than others

ProsProfessional development opportunities through Human Resources; training programs through Office of Information Technology; beautiful campus; great students; strong benefits; main University offers strong vision and leadership

ConsHuge salary gap between exempt, non-exempt and faculty; faculty and staff are treated differently; leadership in my division is unreasonable and unrealistic; my division prefers men in leadership/secondary leadership roles; my division lacks vision and direction (based on my experiences this in not the case for all divisions)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe very careful when selecting your division leaders - make sure they are accountable, have vision, understand how to communicate that vision, care about the Catholic mission of the University (and live that mission of service and respect with those that work in that division).

Underpaid and overworked

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    South Bend, IN

ProsLots of great work experience and exposure to top research

ConsUnderpaid and overworked with very little help in finding post-graduate employment.

Very fulfilling; allowed latitude for creativity and received great mentoring from our faculty adviser, Dr. David Cohn.

Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Notre Dame, IN

ProsGreat resume builder and great way to work and study at the same time.

ConsChallenge balancing course load and work load while participating in sports and social activities.

Good experience.

Research Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, it was easy to get time off and the health insurance is great! The access to campus facilities was also a great perk. Easy to visit the doctor if you used the on campus wellness center.

ConsDidn't feel like there was much of an opportunity to move to other jobs within the university. The pay for a research technician was low compared to many other universities.

Wonderful Work Environment

IT Support Engineer/Analyst (Current Employee)
    Notre Dame, IN

ProsGreat support, wonderful benefits, and the ability to put your families needs at the fore.

ConsLower pay than in the Private sector.

Worked for Notre Dame? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Notre Dame reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Notre Dame CEO Rev John I. Jenkins. All 110 reviews posted anonymously by Notre Dame employees.