Notre Dame de Namur Reviews

Dr. Judith Greig

1. Good People

Current Employee - Admissions
    Current Employee - Admissions

I have been working at Notre Dame de Namur part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment! I adore some of the people I work with and the atmosphere is kept very professional.

Cons

The pay could be better but it's not bad either.

High expectations for below average compensation

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor

I worked at Notre Dame de Namur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll work with some of the best staff and students in the area. The small campus allows you to interact and know most of the campus community. It's a historic university with a lot of rich history. The university is committed to its community service outreach, and education for all approach. The majority of the students that attend are minorities and first generation students. You will have moments when you feel the job you're doing is rewarding.

Cons

There is virtually no on-boarding training. You are expected to learn as you go, with no proper training. Working under the enrollment division, you will feel the constant pressure to make enrollment projections each semester. It's a university that is dependent on tuition, so literally, every student counts, and you will be asked to do whatever you can to enroll a student for the benefit of the university. There is tremendous pressure to perform daily, operating very much like a for-profit university. Compensation falls below average based on peer universities in the area. Unfortunately, there are more days than not when you don't feel the job you are doing is very rewarding.

Advice to Management

The majority of staff do not feel like they are being valued for what they do, nor do they feel like their opinions matter. There is no transparency between upper management and staff, and this has created a divide between the two. Staff feels like they are just being told what to do, but are not given the resources, support, or proper traininig to do so.

3. Great people to work with

I have been working at Notre Dame de Namur

Pros

The people are great to work with.

Cons

Some departments are located away from the University, and can make it difficult at times.

5. A small school with a wonderful mission, but disorganized management

I have been working at Notre Dame de Namur full-time

Pros

A focus on teaching, passion for community service and engagement, the ability to work closely with students, a beautiful campus, generally very nice people to work with.

Innovative approach to program development (NDNU will have the first PhD program in Art Therapy in the country!)

A mission to ensure educational access to all students (NDNU was the the first women's college in California and the first in the state authorized to grant the baccalaureate degree to women!)

There is good support for professional development (access to materials and resources, conference attendance) - this may vary by department and employee role.

Cons

For candidates: we do not advertise salary ranges like many other schools, we do not offer relocation, we generally do not provide travel/housing for in-person interviews.

Benefits: insurance for partners/spouses/dependents is expensive (very little to no subsidy from employer); a pay-as-you-go philosophy (meaning there are no cost-of-living increases, or "bonuses" in the traditional sense. If we do well, financially, in any given year, there could be salary increases or retirement contributions the following year. There's nothing wrong with this philosophy, but it may be different than other employers.

There is an inadequate focus on performance evaluation and so some employees are never taught how to do their jobs better.

Lack of good communication between decision-makers and everyone else.

Human Resources department is inconsistent and has primary concern for the university, not the employees.

There are a good number of employees who have been here a long time and/or are disgruntled, which sometimes makes the working environment negative.

As a small school, many of our offices are understaffed, leading to people feeling under-appreciated and over-worked.

6. Spiritual, committed, fulfilling, I loved working here and blessed to have been around such wonderful people.

Former Employee - Grounds Manager in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Grounds Manager in Belmont, CA

I worked at Notre Dame de Namur full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, lots of positive reinforcement, and surrounded by people who appreciate higher education, and nature.

Cons

With all educational institutions, is lack of funds, you have to work here for the passion of what it is your seeking.

Advice to Management

I know you all are committed to do the best with what is available. I will remember you all forever especially the Sisters of Notre Dame.

Under appreciated employees

Current Employee - Admissions in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Notre Dame de Namur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great faculty, sincere students who stuck because most courses wont transfer out

Cons

management is ungrateful, sloppy dress code, unprofessional HR

Advice to Management

need more driven employees

RSS Feed </> Embed