Nova Holdings Reviews

NOVA

Current Employee - Administrative  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Nova Holdings part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its great place to work.

Cons

hard to move up in the college

look out for lower level first

Only good for a visa

Former Employee - English Teacher  in  Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)
    Former Employee - English Teacher in Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)

I worked at Nova Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can get a visa in Japan. They will pay you money. You won't starve on this pay. If your branch staff are nice, they will gladly help you with everyday life in Japan. They helped with filing taxes.

Cons

The pay scale is dependent on student numbers and how many classes you have booked. I'm sure in larger cities it's fine, but in Nagoya the demand isn't as high. My paycheck would wildly fluctuate because of this. You needed to double check your paystub because it wasn't always correct. Their treatment of the Japanese staff is worse than that of the native teachers, which got to me. They also don't really take into account children with special needs. I was told I had an autistic student ten minutes before the lesson with zero training. They still don't have training for special needs kids, yet accept them into their classes.

Treat your employees with respect. Don't punish them for class numbers that are not in their control. Create a program for special needs kids if you're going to put them in classes, otherwise you very well might do more harm than good.

You Get What You Give

Former Employee - English Instructor
    Former Employee - English Instructor

I worked at Nova Holdings part-time for more than a year

Pros

The students are the most rewarding part of your job, If you interview you will get an offer automatically, pay isn't that great, you have a lot of independence, meet many new people, teach eight lessons a day, long breaks, training is very easy, reimbursed for travel expenses when going to and from branches, they give you visas to work in Japan, they can provide housing, if you put in the effort it's rewards, you get what you give.

Cons

Very little direction, no one to ask questions to, staff sometimes speak no English yet they handle your paycheck, travel expenses.. basically you rely on them, no bonus, no promotions, can be asked to relocate at any time, no unpaid holidays, hours are very long, commutes are also long, big company that overlooks employees both good and bad behavior, no benefits, hours start late end late, work weekends usually, they expect you to be very flexible due to lack of teachers/management, very disorganized, counter staff are often extremely overworked

Promotions or some incentive should be given, there should be a person available that helps teachers with "human resource" material such as visa questions, relocation questions, etc. not just assistant to the area manager, when interviewing there should be another screening after the interview in order to discern quality teachers vs. problem teachers, have a more concrete "boss" to the teachers, modernize company regulations to better fit the real needs of the branches, offer more money for kids lessons, be more organized overall; lots of time, money and sweat is wasted on easy to fix things.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Prime example of how an "eikaiwa" should not be run

Former Employee - Language Instructor  in  Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Language Instructor in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Nova Holdings full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Punch in, punch out, don't ever have to take any work home.
    Company deservedly went down in a much-publicized ball of flames, now operates ona much smaller scale. far far further down the eikaiwa food chain.

Cons

Constant bending of the law to make sure teachers couldn't qualify for any form of legal full-time employee benefits.
    Teachers treated as cattle to be chewed up and discarded after a year's contract, general attitude from management being, and I quote: "if you don't like it, get out".
    Management chosen young (25~30) for malleability and ability to treat co-workers like dirt whilst enjoying their first experience of "power".

How do you sleep at night?

Not a bad experience, but the pay wasn't great

Current Employee - English Teacher  in  Sapporo (Japan)
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Sapporo (Japan)

I have been working at Nova Holdings part-time for more than a year

Pros

Prepared lesson plans, guaranteed lesson timetable, friendly work colleagues and students.

Cons

Management could be quite incompetent at times, especially with getting pay correct. Pay is quite low and bonuses are dependant on student quotas, which are rarely met. Lesson plans and timetables could be quite disorganised at times.

Need to improve administrative processes, make correct payments on time and work collaboratively with teachers.

Read the fine print

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Niigata-shi (Japan)
    Former Employee - Instructor in Niigata-shi (Japan)

I worked at Nova Holdings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay for this area oj Japan

Cons

Alot of lies I don'tknow if they lied because they were in need of an instructor or if they always lie, but they lied to me about everything my hours, pay and transportation cost.

If you wantto keep good teacher don't lie about important things especially pay.

sucked

Former Employee - Nova
    Former Employee - Nova

I worked at Nova Holdings

Pros

i do not believe there was any positive to nova. the place i was located had many pluses being so far away from head office. i did like the books though

Cons

tons. dirty pats, shady business practices. no support for the teacher what so ever. and wow, can we afford scratch paper for the students...nope cause it went bankrupt.

leave, just leave and go to a company where you will be appreciated and not loathed. most of the time we understand you are just doing your job but seriously.

Good people, good staff, good customers, poor upper management- no room for promotion.

Current Employee - Trainer
    Current Employee - Trainer

I have been working at Nova Holdings

Pros

It's a fun job. Good way to understand Japan, learn about Japan and live in Japan.

Cons

The old management will never leave. There are trust issues between Japanese upper management and foreign staff that go beyond company structure.

While most employees want to do a good job. Evaluations mean nothing when they are have no reflection on salary or position.

overall a good experience

Former Employee - English Language Teacher  in  Kumamoto (Japan)
    Former Employee - English Language Teacher in Kumamoto (Japan)

I worked at Nova Holdings

Pros

good pay
    very reasonable hours/schedule
    depending on school, great co-workers

Cons

when recruited they don't stress how much of a "sales" environment it is-this is a business trying to make money

better screening for teachers you recruit-there were some real nutballs-personality screening perhaps.

NOVA: If your choices are NOVA or nothing, pick NOVA

Former Employee - English Instructor  in  Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)
    Former Employee - English Instructor in Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)

I worked at Nova Holdings

Pros

No experience necessary
    Not time-intensive
    Kinda mindless work
    Possible to swap shifts around to get upwards of a week off at a time, if you can swing it, plus you'll be working weekends for a while to make it up.
    Might talk to interesting people

Cons

Went bankrupt right before I left it (got bought out)
    Kinda mindless work
    Might talk to boring people
    Not very accomodating to employees

Be more supporting and selective in hiring and training

Worked for Nova Holdings? Contribute to the Community!