Nova Medical Centers (Texas)
www.n-o-v-a.com Houston, TX 500 to 999 Employees

Nova Medical Centers (Texas) Reviews

Updated Apr 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ulf Rohde

You have to have a mentality for sales.

Sales ID (Current Employee)
    DFW, TX

ProsI work in the DFW area and have never had any issues with management or even upper management. People need to understand that sales jobs are very fast paced and always will be. Turnover exists in every company in sales. Some folks aren’t cut out for this level of demand on a constant level, that’s why we make the big bucks. Hard work goes beyond the 9-5 Monday thru Friday. Commitment is key. Some people don’t have the time and energy to keep up. It’s a cold hard truth that not everyone is cut out for sales. Find another position that works for you that you can dedicate yourself to. Bashing management isn’t going to get you anywhere when your problem stems elsewhere. It is long days and it is hard work, but it really does pay off. You really do have to have a mentality for sales.

ConsPeople who aren't right for this type of job always complain.

Good Pay, Extreme Micromanagement, Extremely Stressful Job, Very Difficult if you are in an established Territory

Houston, TX

ProsGood Pay and Extreme growth expansion. New clinics are opening rapidly so there is potential for growth with the company as an employee. But I put a large emphasis on "potential"

ConsManagement is extremely focused on micromanagement. There is a focus on fear rather then encouragement. Very structured work environment that allows absolutely no deviation even if there is a good reason. If there are more then 3 minutes between cold calls you are called out by management. A lot of hours are required after hours in the evening and on the weekends. I easily put in 70 hours per week and it is very unnoticed and unappreciated. Instead it is expected. I can see where some reps that work for the company state that it is only hard in the beginning. It is very hard if you are assigned to a territory that has a clinic that has been open more then 1-2 years. The reason being that there have easily been 30 -50 reps before you in that same territory that did not succeed, quit, or got fired so finding new business is very hard so then sales metrics are impossible. That means when you call businesses they literally scream at you because they have been called by 30-50 reps in the last year. If you are fortunate and get into a fresh territory with a brand new clinic then success can certainly be had. There is a need for occupational medicine and it is a growing industry so new growth into a new city is the ideal situation if you are looking to attempt a career as an Industrial Director with Nova Medical Centers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop leading by fear. It is a bad choice in management styles and results in poor results and burn-out. I have managed employees and sales reps and to be a successful manager you must encourage and offer support. A happy employee is a good employee. Walt Disney emulated that management style and my opinion why it is the empire that it is today.

Great company!

Dallas, TX

ProsThe Dallas management team is professional and well organized. They are there to help when you need it and open to help when you are struggling. Reviews that say otherwise are incorrect. You have quotas and guidelines you have to follow but they are set up to help you achieve success! I have been on the Dallas team for almost 2 years and have found the distribution of leads fair and consistent.

ConsIf you are not a hard worker and don't want to work this is not the job for you. This company will give you all the tools you need for success but you have to be willing to use them!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! So excited about the growth of the company and being part of a great team!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for Nova

MCM Medical Clinic Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsOur clinic stays pretty busy most days, so the work flow is constant. I like my position and love my team. My teammates always are ready to learn and help. I have a lot of respect for upper management. They work hard to get and keep things organized. We have weekly meetings where things can be addressed as necessary which helps, too. I love my Nova work family, they make the day go by fast.

ConsSince we are the only staff, we work M-F. We get to know our patients well, but scheduling multiple days off in a row is tricky sometimes.

I Absolutely Love My Job Here - Endless Opportunities For Can-Do Minded Individuals

Dallas, TX

ProsI love this job because, if you put in the work, keep an optimistic outlook and have a genuine drive to succeed, it will happen. End of Story. I love that I have creative freedom with my accounts, I can gift them and expense it which is great because I get to use my creative skills and combine them with my sales experience. You are your own business, if you are producing there is 0 micro-managing. Numbers speak for themselves. I love most of my co-workers, and management is young, fun and have all worked your job and understand it.

ConsThe ramp up phase is hard of course, but this is no different than any other ramp up phase. There are clear and concise directions in regards to what is expected of you and how to build your book of business. If you follow the formula and have natural charisma and sales ability, you will be 100% fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more involvement in the recruitment process, the company could save a lot of money if prospective employees were interviewed by the manager who will be ultimately managing them.

Most unprofessional atmosphere

Sales - Industrial Director (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsMost co-workers people are friendly and helpful

ConsDallas management is extremely unprofessional. They mock the CEO during conference calls, are never satisfied with performance, and manage by fear. They clearly hire to build a book of business then cut with malice. They assign accounts to reps they want to keep around.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Jokes about sex, anatomy, and overall out in the open disrespect of others is purely unprofessional.

Enjoying working for this company

ProsThe job is very difficult at times. I have a great manager. He is very dedicated to the team's success. My teammates are great. The company has a awesome culture. :) Happy I made the decision to work here.

ConsPunching in and out. Driving to Norcross everyday.

High-stress, horrible work/life balance, unrealistic goals, high turnover. CEO is a jerk.

Industrial Director (Former Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsThey whip you with a high salary. Enjoy it until they can your ass for not meeting impossible metrics.

ConsMeetings every Friday afternoon and Monday morning that takes you away from invaluable time in your territory. Endless role-play that results in ridicule and behind the back mocking by peers and management, all the way up to the top. You are "salaried" but have to clock in and out. They expect you to work after hours, which you aren't compensated for. Have fun explaining that to your spouse. They monitor your every action, and get after you for gaps in activity greater than 5 minutes. No joke. Micromanagement at its finest. I'm convinced the managers steal your accounts at every turn. Worst choice I've ever made, shadiest company I've ever worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an environment where the face of your organization can enjoy working for you, instead of dreading every minute of it. Stop referring to your sales force as losers from the deck of your yacht. I'm sure your account base can't help but notice that someone different is representing NOVA every several weeks.

Nova is the best job I have ever had. Please do not let people that do not understand a job requires work sway you.

Houston, TX

ProsNova Medical Centers is a great place to work. I would recommend this company to anyone that has a good work ethic and understands you have to put the time and effort in to be successful.
    The company is growing and has many opportunities available for advancement for those committed to achieving goals.
    The company has a set plan for people to follow to be successful. Plan your work and work your plan. This is a sales driven environment with goals and quotas. People that want to knock Nova Medical Centers are people that expected to put in 50% effort and with any sales job, that is not going to work. Lazy people and work do not go well together. Nova pays us very well and in return they expect us to work hard to achieve our quotas.

Training - I love the way we do training at Nova. They have a great web based training that you can learn in the privacy of your own home. Some companies have classroom setting training where you sit for a week or 2 listening to someone babble for 8 hours a day. With our training you can study an your own pace and get the knowledge you need to be successful.
    I have seen the whiners on here complaining about that as well. Again what job out there does not require employees to actually do work and get paid. I do not know of any because they are not out there.

ConsCons - Well I can say that we have hired a lot of hambones over the last couple of years. Not blaming Nova Recruiting Department for that. Some sales people can talk you out of your clothes. They are good persuaders when interviewing. Then they get hired and do not produce and either quit or are let go. Why does this happen? Well once again you have to work and put the time in to make it in sales. It is not an 8-5 job. People are told that when they are in the interview process. They are told about the expectations and demands of the job. This company is transparent when interviewing. You are told the good and the bad. People take the job and then try to reinvent the wheel and try to change things. Nova has a successful model in place that does not need to be changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck to Nova as we start our expansion into other states. Nova's management wants their sales force to work and they reward the sales force with a great income opportunity. Keep up the good work and hopefully we have gotten rid of all the rif raft so called sales people out of this organization.

I couldn’t be happier. Nova PT and philosophy allow me to help people

Supervising Physical Therapist (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGreat benefits, salary, management, treatment philosophy, ethics, sense of security

Conshigh volume and fast-paced (but it makes the days go by and everyone has high energy)

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a Supervising PT for Nova, I saw the review recently posted and HAD to respond. Whoever they are, I am glad they’re gone!

Nova Medical Centers has been my saving grace. I have worked at other companies in the past where patients weren’t treated as ethically as they should have been: exercises that weren’t beneficial, not doing the most for the patient, not seeing patients frequently enough, et cetera. I became a physical therapist because I wanted to help people. I wanted to make a difference in their lives. I felt like I wasn’t really getting to do that at my former jobs. Nova restored my faith in PT and has enabled me to truly ‘do good’ EVERYDAY. I see each patient for 2 hours a day multiple times a week. We surpass all the limits.

Nova is a 100% occupational health. That is what we do. As such, you absolutely know going in that you are going to be treating work injuries. We call patients “occupational athletes.” So I don’t know if the previous reviewer was confused or what, but it is clear that the patients are not sports athletes.

I don’t know what this person is talking about in terms of the power of billing either. The therapists have a duty to ensure accurate billing and we are able to do so with the system we use. It is an automated system, and before submitting anything it asks if you agree with what is automated. If you don’t, you click “no” and can manually enter in the information and time on your own, so that it is an accurate reflection. It cannot be more ethical!!

Nova HAS reinvented the wheel. We do not limit treatment like a lot of insurance companies and other facilities do. Whatever treatment is needed for a full recovery is what we do, and if a company doesn’t cover the full cost, Nova picks up the remainder! The focus is totally on the patient and the goal is always to help them recover 100%. And the company recently restructured their management because of their expansion. (They’ve opened like 12 new clinics this year.)

There are cameras set up, and I am glad there are!
    I work with a fantastic team, and we get along amazingly. I have seen colleagues get their deserved recognition and there are definite growth opportunities for those who are flexible.

I don’t know what that person’s problem was, but I wouldn’t trade in this career for any other PT job. I am happy here and with the expansion of the company, I am glad to be a part of a company that is aligned with my own personal values and believes in doing good.

Worked for Nova Medical Centers (Texas)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nova Medical Centers (Texas) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nova Medical Centers (Texas) CEO Ulf Rohde. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Nova Medical Centers (Texas) employees.