Nova Scotia Power

Updated Feb 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bob Hanf

enjoyed working with very bright and professional people. however there was too much overtime needed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prossafety and wellness conscious, decent salaries for this area

Conspeople regularly work too much overtime

Sneaky Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood wages and good hours

Consback room dealings keep employees in the dark and then blind-side them.

stable, but not very intresting

Maint (Current Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

Prosit gives me stable employment with a sustanable salery.

ConsIt is so heavyly managed, it leavs no room tohave much input into your work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, very political

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

ProsThe people are very cooperative to work with and pay is reasonable

ConsLeadership can be very disengaged from operation due to the political nature of the organization

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter focus on operational efficiencies

Co-workers were fantastic, upper management incredibly difficult to deal with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

ProsFlexible hours, fantastic benefits and able to work close to my home town. The coworkers were also very nice to me. The position is essentially recession proof and I new my paycheques would be on time.

ConsFound it difficult to obtain promotions and felt like I would be stuck in the same position forever. Felt that management would not heed my advice and that much of what I said was never seriously considered.

NS power thermal generating division trenton ns

Power Engineer (Current Employee) Trenton, NS (Canada)

Prosshift schedule is great for operators

ConsIncompetent managers, low pay future does not look good here.

A great company to work for if you plan on staying in Nova Scotia.

Engineer (Current Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

Pros- accommodations, meals and travel expenses are covered when travel is required (depending on the department, there is a lot of travel).
    - job security is probably pretty good, at least in the next 5 years or so, I can see dismissal happening if you do something like steal or deliberately break/kill something.
    - there are a lot of smart, hardworking peers.

Cons- if you're based in Halifax, travel means going to a much smaller remote city/town.
    - company is going through some facelifts, part of that is compacting people into smaller, low-walled cubicles.
    - payscale means that a lot of people will leave the company for better compensation. Consider it the "Halifax Tax". Unless you have a lot of family/friends here, you could be working a lot less for a lot more money in a different city.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to stay grounded with operations and the people at the bottom of the ladder. They do have a lot of good ideas. A lot of strategies/plans I've seen higher-level employees come up may look good on paper but are not very practical. On the other end, some of the people at the bottom don't have the big picture in mind when they grumble.

NSPI

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

Pros-There is generally lots of overtime available. It is fairly easy to take advantage of and is offered to all equally (within a dept). Occasionally OT is mandatory.
    -when working long hours the company will provide food and accommodation at a near by hotel.

Cons-Promotions were sometimes kept secret. This calls into question the integrity of the process.
    -Annual performance bonuses were not given to less senior employees even though they contributed equally to meeting the goal targets.
    -feedback was offered after I was declined for an internal promotion. I accepted th eoffer but did not receive an actual date or meeting to receive the feedback for 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the provider of an essential service you ask, expect and receive a lot out of your employees. This includes new and terms employees (which all are at some point). Keeping employees defined and temp or term for 5 years and longer to avoid paying out benefits is not a smart business practice if you want top retain top talent. But I believe you are feeling that now. Good Luck.

Worked for Nova Scotia Power? Contribute to the Community!