Novacoast Reviews

Reset
3.9
Paul Anderson

1. Wide range of IT opportunities

I have been working at Novacoast full-time

Pros

+ Laid Back Atmosphere + Wide range of technology + Opportunities to travel and gain promotions

Cons

- Laid Back Atmosphere - Co-workers don't pull their weight - Lack of accountability - Not a clear path forward

2. Great Company

Former Employee - RMS Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - RMS Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Novacoast full-time

Pros

-Fast growing company -Bright & friendly staff -Competitive wages & benefits -Multiple opportunity's for advancement -

Cons

-Projects are sometimes not given clear instructions or expectations -Some staff members are shown obvious favoritism to the point that they aren't given fair criticism -HR was inefficient to the point of incompetency

Advice to Management

Be more open to criticism and responsive when a new employee asks for help whether it be a corporate procedure or general assistance.

3. Awesome company with great work environment and lots of opportunities to grow

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Novacoast

Pros

Novacoast is one of those companies that seems like it's run by a group of friends. The office environment is extremely laid-back and welcoming. It might seem cliche, but it really is like a family. They are growing fast so there is a lot of room for growth. I was a software developer, and they gave me a lot of independence to work without micromanagement, as well as pursue my own ideas when they aligned with the company. If you're self-motivated and are willing to help a good company become great, I recommend Novacoast.

Cons

This isn't a downside, but since the company is constantly growing, things can change. Whether it's policies, chains of command (which won't be too big of a deal since the company has a very flat hierarchy), etc. But if you're flexible, these changes won't be a problem.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Your transparency and welcoming nature are very appreciated and refreshing.

5. My experience has been amazing, I've never been around such talented engineers. They're fearless, but never reckless

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Novacoast full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

With a 170 employees currently, they still operate as a family

Cons

This is a hard one, none pop out at me as I'm writing this

Advice to Management

Keep the family atmosphere, you've done well with that approach

Experience was so-so

I worked at Novacoast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule work from home as needed The people there were kind

Cons

Lack of resources for sales reps Embarrassingly bad marketing materials No sales strategy Management and leadership team completely lacking in accountability There was an awful lot of throwing subordinates under the bus by management. That is an unfortunate part of the culture there. Management could do no wrong. Unqualified/inexperienced people in senior positions

7. Great experience

I worked at Novacoast

Pros

I enjoyed the time working there and learned a lot. Colleagues are very nice.

Cons

Sometimes the time schedule is not very flexible

8. Bad Management

Current Employee - Campaign Sales Representative in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Campaign Sales Representative in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novacoast

Pros

Good pay for part-time employees.

Cons

The company terminated our campaign because of bad management not due to our performance. Which, actually exceeded their expectations. They rewarded us with one hour of time to pack up our things and mentioned that it wasn't personal, "this kind of thing happens all the time" (Warning)

Advice to Management

Two weeks notice professionals.

Learn a lot of different technologies and get paid pretty well

Former Employee - Software Developer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Novacoast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture; very relaxed, great co-workers, work from home, and you get to pick most of the hours. Additionally, since you're working as a consultant you get to learn a bunch of different stuff so you wont get bored. The pay is really what you make of it. Since it's a commission based model, if you're very dedicated you can make quite a bit of money. If you take the casual route like I did you still make a really comfortable salary. Despite working on my own for most of the time, if I ran into any trouble you could just find out if anyone on the team knows the technology you're working with to ask for some help, or even send out a mass email to the team. You're essentially working as a contractor without the hassle of finding clients or dealing with legal stuff. It's good experience if you're coming out of college like I did. You get a taste of what it's like to work with a smallish software company mixed with a corporate atmosphere which comes with the clients.

Cons

In my experience, I didn't really have much leadership; however, I thrive in those kind of environments. If you need someone guiding you a lot you might not be able to handle it. Everything I learned was essentially learned on my own(however, there are tons of experts on the team and you can always ask for help).

Advice to Management

The 10 days of paid time off a year isn't really paid time off with the commission model; you still need to catch up on your billing when you get back. Taking vacations is important for me and I was a little bit irked that no one ever explained that you technically don't get paid time off, it's more like a loan.

Sales Executive

Former Employee - Client Executive
    Former Employee - Client Executive

I worked at Novacoast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly work environment. Hard working. Often-times on the cutting edge. Training not encouraged. Allows for a lot of individuality. Company conveys image of being very family friendly. Operates as a big little company

Cons

Guidance often time confusing. Perks minimal. Management spread very thin.

Advice to Management

Offer more personal growth and training for employees.

Challenging, Dynamic Environment

Former Employee - Developer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Novacoast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of ways to learn the ropes at Novacoast as an IT consultant. Their intern program works very well to move candidates through to full time consultants.

Cons

They have a particularly heavy focus on Novell software, which is a niche market these days. While that lends them to being SMEs in that realm, Novell is a dying company and technology.

RSS Feed </> Embed