Novant Health

Updated January 23, 2015
3.1

Novant Health Senior Executive Vice President Carl Armato
Carl Armato

Pros
  • The company provides good benefits and working conditions (in 5 reviews)

• Large company with great benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries (except for CEO and other upper management) are below national average (in 13 reviews)

• These upper elite members of managers and supervisors have little to no knowledge about their actual departments (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

ENJOYED MY JOB

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I worked at Novant Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I loved working for Novant Health and wish they had not sold my department to an outsourcing company.

Cons

Sold to an outsourcing department.

Nothing.

Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Novant Health

Pros

During my time at Novant, I had a solid experience. Worked with a fantastic team of talented individuals. I learned and grew a lot through my work there.

Cons

The healthcare industry is heavily regulated, so there's not a lot of room for creative engagement or exploration.

WILL TEST YOUR SANITY

Current Employee - Patient Account Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Patient Account Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Novant Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My pay was based on years of experience not a generic pay scale like most companies. I feel that I started out at a wage that was closer to my experience level (20+ yrs) then past employers in NC. A lot of nice coworkers, benefits are not bad for a single person. PTO time is earned every pay period so it can add up significantly. There are several different teams depending on facility or specialty. My Manager is good at working with me if I have issues but other Managers don't seem to care about their employees.

Cons

They are more concerned with productivity then fixing the problem the first time so the money comes in faster. You can be fired if you do not meet their productivity goals which seem to change regularly based on some report received on the "National Average". We are not a call center but that is what Upper Management perceives us as, therefore they believe the ridiculously high numbers for productivity can be achieved by everybody. Sure they can if you don't work the account properly. Promotions depend on who you know, not what you know or how well you do in an interview. Communication is not always spectacular and you often hear about most changes from other employees before you hear about it from Management. This is the only company I have worked for that PTO has to be used for holidays when the office is closed. All the other companies I have worked for in the past paid their employees for the holidays. There are cliques and certain employees can do no wrong with Management while another employee will be reprimanded for the same thing. Training on the billing system is not adequate and you have to figure a lot of things out on your own that are already known by others. Cheat sheets should be given out to new employees listing several different ways to do something and allow that employee to choose which one works for them.

Stop treating your employees like robots. Mistakes are made that way which causes things to get overlooked or done wrong often resulting in having to write stuff off for timely filing or other reasons. Listen to employees concerns and actually act on them instead of just trying to placate them with false responses.

Coordinator

I worked at Novant Health full-time

Pros

Good Pay and benefits. Enjoy working with patients and staff. Very nice manager

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth. Even with an MBA there are little opportunities, because you seem to get stock based on the titled you entered with, and the recruiters do not think that you have skills that are transferable.

Love the CEO

Stressful Hostile Work Environment

Current Employee - CBO in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - CBO in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Novant Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to learn skills needed for another great organization that will appreciate their employees. It's a shame that they spend so much money in training and don't follow through in making it a great environment where people want to stay.

Cons

No flexibility, family is not a priority for Management. No consistency in workplace policies, rules or guidelines.
    They make it up as they go. It changes on a weekly basis. Biggest concern is productivity. Not worried about employees and making it a work environment that makes employees want to do 100% . Turnover is very High at the CBO due to the way management treats its staff.

Make it an environment that you foster a positive attitude and make it a place that people don't leave. If you treat your employees like they matter then they will in turn go out of there way to do the best job for the company. Don't micro manage people. We are adults, treat us this way. Allow flexibility.

Horrible

Current Employee - Registered Nurse, CNA, RT in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse, CNA, RT in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Novant Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Start pay is ok but 10years from now. It won't be much different.

Cons

Horrible benefits. Terrible 401k. 25cent-50cent raises. No incentive. More of a job than career. Cut salaries. RNs CNA RT are treated awful. No raises. No room to advance financially. Negative work environment.

Nursing

Former Employee - Nurse in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Nurse in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Novant Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smaller community feel of a local non-profit rather then a large corporation is still felt in some level. High standards for patient care.

Cons

Salaries (except for CEO and other upper management) are below national average. Recent cuts in salaries really hurt peoples livelihood yet upper management and CEO are getting paid Extremely generous. Treat staff like robots and game boards pieces rather then humans. Continuously make budget cuts taking away staff and supplies yet demanding higher standards and putting bulk of blame on nursing staff which are generally the ones "there" all the time with the patients and short staffed working with broken or outdated equipment. Even patients starting to comment on how the hospital doesn't offer many amenities that it used to and that they will choose CMC "next time".

Disorganized

Former Employee - PAR III in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - PAR III in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Novant Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great, flexible work schedule, good benefits

Cons

No Trust, too much rework, training and management are inconsistent

Listen to your employees and trust that they will do a good job. Implement one and done strategy and stop work duties overlapping so more can be done

Great Place To Practice Nursing and leadership

Current Employee - Nursing Supervisor in Kernersville, NC
    Current Employee - Nursing Supervisor in Kernersville, NC

I have been working at Novant Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Novant Health is a great place to work. The company is patient focused and wants the very best for patients as well as their employees. This is a very innovative company that truly allows you to bring your ideas to life.. If any healthcare system can master the patient experience; it will be Novant Health.., Joanne Allen is the President of NHKMC and is very vested in our meeting expectations around safety, quality and how we make our patients feel. I'm very proud to be among the best of the best.

Cons

I would say.. Hiring the right folks to make our vision come to life... NH has high standards as well as the leadership and we only want the best if the best caring for patients..

Not a good place

Current Employee - Staff RN in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Novant Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I can not think of any pros for this greedy corporation at this point. Well, maybe co workers. The staff that I directly work with are very good.

Cons

No staff appreciation whatsoever. Employees not valued at all. They feel that it is okay to cut salaries, and give nothing in appreciation to staff......well except the fact that the CEO got $900,000 BONUS, yet salary for secretaries were cut by $2.00/hr. People that have been there for many years receive no hint of appreciation. Staffing is cut in the name of budget, and patient care suffers, and nurses are run into the ground by picking up extra shifts to cover holes in the schedule. Some nurses work 6 and 7 days straight, and apparently that is okay to administration. Novant is supposed to be "Not for profit", but the corporation is all about greed to higher administrators. Why is it okay to get nearly a $1M bonus, and cut salaries of other employees??

You better start appreciating your staff. You could be one heck of a good example by making your staff happy. Cutting the pay of secretaries without regard to the years of service is just plain wrong. Just the fact that they have been there for several years warrants the pay they already receive. By cutting their pay, you are telling them that their years of hard work and loyalty mean NOTHING to you! Also cutting the $1/hr for charge nurse duties is wrong. You expect the charge nurse to take on a full load of patients, and do the extra charge nurse duties without compensation. Why are you punishing your staff like this??? If the CEO "earned" a bonus nearly equal to his salary, the staff must be doing something right to help him earn that kind of a bonus. Yet, he wants to cut pay, and take things away from staff! I would also suggest reinstating the Baylor weekend program. If an employee is willing to give up their weekends to work every weekend, they should be compensated for it. Working EVERY weekend, (two 12 hour shifts) and compensated for 36 hours is very reasonable. You all enjoy your weekends/holidays off, don't you? Well, if other employees wish to have more weekends off, why not give them that option by having well compensated weekend staff? It seems to be all about corporate greed. You forget that all of those decisions you make affect PEOPLE! Not numbers on paper! You know, the secretaries still have to pay for their health insurance, and that premium has not gone down just because they make less money. And your greedy decisions ultimately affect patient care. You need to go back to the principle of health CARE....not health BUSINESS!!!