Novartis Animal Health US

Be The First To
Add Photos

George Gunn

good company

Field Sales (Current Employee)

Proslarge company
    decent benefits
    good worklife balance

Consever changing leadership, benefits have been decreasing

Advice to Senior Managementgood sales people don't always make good managers

Once a great company, now only a shell of it's former self.

ProsGenerally great people, with a lot of passion.
    Good benefits, retirement, etc.
    Focused portfolio

ConsToo many processes and procedures - run more like a bank than an animal health company
    Current global leadership started out strong, but has morphed into short term, quarter by quarter reactionary leadership - slow to support and quick to critisize.
    Lack of R&D success and continued cost cutting, plus extensive stock outs have completely gutted the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinalize the sale to Elanco and retire as soon as possible.

Challenging times ahead for NAHUS employees

Associate Director (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsFlexibility. Work life balance depending on direct management.

ConsChallenging times coming up with the acquisition by Elanco. Uncertainty as to the future of the site. Continue to ask for more with less resources.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long Time Employee

ProsOverall i think the company has good benefits. The company has been pretty good the last couple of years in taking care of the employees during a challenging business situation. The overall culture of AH division is good and for the most part a nice atmosphere to work in. I had a great time and really enjoyed working with them.

ConsI have always felt that leadership had a Lack of future vision and no long term strategy. It feels like we were never able to make a big play to move the company forward. On one side there was good flexibility based on your manager, but overall poor work/life balance. Not uncommon to find myself working nights/weekends. Always a lack of staffing meaning the employees were always expected to take on more and more work. Not necessarily more compensation for additional workload either. Lots of cumbersome internal processes that prolonged decision making and made getting things done difficult.

It's Getting Harder to Enjoy

ProsEmployees, products,animal health industry, comraderie

ConsProcedures, compensation, strategic direction unclear

Advice to Senior ManagementStrategic direction unclear

Some good, some very bad

Field Sales (Current Employee) Oregon City, OR

ProsSome very good people are in isolated areas of the company.

ConsPoor management in many areas, very little training, compensation and ranking biased toward high population-growth areas. Management by spreadsheet, creates incentive for unethical practices among sales force. Advancement criteria leads to unethical behavior by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude market-share as a primary component in incentive and ranking programs. Admit to product weaknesses and work to compete with quality instead of asking the sales force to offer "me-too" products to an unreceptive market. Your best products are made by someone else.

My experience with Novartis was bittersweet.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsOpen, casual, yet professional atmosphere. Good report across the various levels of management. Somewhat of a family atmosphere among the full time employees.

ConsContingent employees were treated like complete outsiders and communication, even at internal department levels was extremely poor. Overall, site communication - at large- left much to be desired. There were silos of knowledge and obstacles between departments that made the site seem as if it were in an internal and continual power struggle. There were blurred lines of responsibility between global and site management and personnel and both were continually battling for recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild trust and establish an atmosphere of open communication and collaboration between global and site management. Allow what you have learned to trickle down to all personnel. Establish a commonality of goals and strive to meet those goals as a team and not a collection of individual contributors.

Systems, rigidity, poor management

Sales (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsSalary and benefits are good overall, but it doesn't make up for the management and the control that seems to be tightening up more and more each year. There is some freedom and flexibility out in the field, but less over time.

ConsSenior Management getting worse. Lots of legal procedures. Lots of restrictions and limitations on how to do your job day to day. After failing some recent audits, the company is piling on paperwork and procedures every day to the point of it getting overwhelming.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell to another company that will manage better or let people be themselves as they carry out their jobs. Too much restriction causes burnout and leaves employes feeling unsatisfied about their jobs and not cared about by management.

Hit or miss depending upon your role

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Greensboro, GA

Pros- Compensation better than industry average (when you start)
    - Opportunity for growth within sales and marketing

Cons- No opportunity for growth outside of sales and marketing
    - Work life balance (within admin positions) does not exist
    - Once you're in don't expect much in the way of increases
    - Performance under constant review

Advice to Senior Management- Stop trying to do more with less

Good company going downhill

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsThe culture (excluding upper management) is very team-oriented and friendly. The products are exceptional and the pay and benefits are good, especially for the area. There is availability to move up, but primarily if you want to live outside of the US.

ConsThe Upper Management is not good at communicating and many do not fight for their co-workers. The systems are outdated and the processes are backwards. HR department does not support its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would try to increase morale of the co-workers through more rewards and recognition. I would also upgrade many of the systems.

Worked for Novartis Animal Health US? Contribute to the Community!