Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research Reviews

1. Great research environment

Former Intern - Graduate-level in Cambridge, MA
    Former Intern - Graduate-level in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research as an intern

Pros

Great work-life balance. A good amount of seminars, poster presentations and group meetings that really encourage people to share their research with co-workers.

Cons

Not really much for interns.

Good company with bad management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great science over all with lot of resources and interaction with other scientists, great product pipeline, company provides very good benefits

Cons

Terrible management!!! Managers can abuse their power and manipulate in order to acclaim their credits, which in turn make employees very stressed out with unrealistic timeline and many projects at the same time. Work-life balance is a wish.

It's a predicament if you zqueeze and stress out your employees in a long run while still expecting them to remain efficient, productive and creative.

Contractor at NIBR in Cambridge MA

Current Contractor - Contractor in Cambridge, MA
    Current Contractor - Contractor in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-Novartis/NIBR has most of the pros you'd expect from a very large biotech/pharma employer: excellent resources such as ease of access to IT and an intranet, LOTS of knowledge and capabilities within the organization and even the small stuff such as a shuttle van for traveling between the different buildings here in Cambridge.
    -There are lots of trainings, speakers and seminars available for those who are interested. Even if the event isn't held in your location there's a great chance that you can VC/TC in for an event elsewhere.
    -Novartis as a whole has a strong pipeline and this is continuously being reinforced by both internal development projects and M&A, partnerships etc.
    -Work-life balance may obviously vary greatly depending on your group and role but in my experience this has been excellent at NIBR. My coworkers and managers have been very accommodating for both myself and others in my group.

Cons

-Likewise Novartis/NIBR has a lot of the cons associated with a very large organization. Red tape, hierarchy and a disconnect between groups along associated pathways in the organization are all present to various degrees.
    -Favoritism between related functional groups is obvious to everyone involved.
    -Compensation is below average. Even as a contractor my compensation is NOT competitive and many of my coworkers have noted that their benefits packages are well below market average for their experience level.
    -In my experience, budgets here are VERY tight. My group in particular has worried more about their budget more than some start-up biotechs I've worked at!!

5. Great place to do research

Current Contractor - Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Current Contractor - Intern in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Wonderful people, all very friendly. Great resources, other divisions always ready to lend a hand.

Cons

Intern salary. But FTers express that they are well-compensated.

Like the new values.

6. Former NIBR contractor's thoughts

Current Contractor - .NET Software Developer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Contractor - .NET Software Developer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to work in an environment with so many talented, creative people, using modern, sometimes state of the art technologies. Relatively hands off management leaving room for talent to blossom. Opportunities abound to learn and grow as a developer. Great and interesting challenges in developing software for Scientists. Pay is good. Nice facilities.

Cons

As a Contractor I did feel treated as an outsider by some people, but this was certainly not the case with all. Working among so much talent definitely comes with its share of stress and pressure to perform and keep up. Novartis has a policy that limits a contractor's role to no more than 18 months. No matter how well you perform, if you are not offered a full time position, you will be let go

Much talent is lost by such heavy reliance on Contractors, that are dropped after 18 months. This is a large, multinational company, so this allows just enough time to really understand in depth how things work, and make significant contributions, and gain recognition. A model based on producing larger shareholder dividends is clearly in conflict with NIBR's mission to further medicine and discovery

Terrible culture and management!

Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Cambridge, MA
    Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Contractor positions pay well.

Cons

Poor, disorganized management. Company culture leads to lots of stressed-out people, there's a lot of sitting around and then panicking to get things done at the last minute. Unbelievably cliquey management and preferential treatment for people in the inner circle. No actual performance feedback, just passive aggressiveness. They try to save money on benefits by putting "contractors" in full time roles.

Give feedback and advice on performance. Employees aren't mind-readers and evil glares across the office won't help improve performance.

8. Great place to work

Former Intern - Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, very friendly, a lot of room to grow and learn, brilliant people who care about the benefit you will receive from your position.

Cons

No work life balance, but that might depend on the position you assume and how much you choose to take your work out of work and bring it home.

Good place to be from

Former Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There was a strong emphasis on science-centric decision making, and wide breadth of resources in terms of infrastructure and access to information.

Cons

Bureaucracy, silo-ization, opaque decision making processes, some infrastructure functions were understaffed, little to no career advancement opportunities within NIBR for non-scientists

Finding Innovative Solutions to Cure Human Blindness.

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work in a Disease Area, where I am presented with a unique opportunity to design treatment for a patient. The job allows for disease model generation, validation, testing and application in clinical trials.

Cons

Largely unexplored area of science, where we are competing with academia, biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies across the globe to find unique and innovative approaches and solutions to disease model generation and treatment design for a patient.

Invest more resources, human and budget alike in order to expedite the process of treatment generation.

11. Great place to learn and work on cutting edge research

Current Employee - Research Investigator II in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Research Investigator II in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People are very receptive to new idea, great colleagues and management

Cons

Well, so far so good

Upper management can have more face time with employees through town hall etc., instead of written/polished blogs

Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research Photos