Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Novartis Pharmaceuticals Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Novartis Pharmaceuticals President André Wyss

André Wyss

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance with many activities for company bonding"
    in 32 reviews
  • "good company with good benefits"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "Large company work life balance is hard if you can't do it for yourself"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Not robust career development, there should be more emphasis on your future in Novartis"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Tough place to work, though you'll make good coin and learn loads along the way

ProsIf you can make it here, you can make it anywhere. An excellent training ground.
    Good opportunity to have a positive impact on the business while growing your skills in a tough, fast-paced environment.
    If you have strong advocates, your career will take flight.

ConsThey'll work you to the bone without a promise of commensurate rewards or job stability; this place is not for the faint of heart. Senior leadership has lots of room for improvement, particularly in terms of driving a clear business strategy versus trying to be perfect at everything. Finance calls the shots; very little external/patient/customer orientation despite the way we brand ourselves and the external accolades we earn.

Management should listen more to their employees.

Medical Advisor (Current Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsLots of perks, a lot of flexibility to work remotely and in regards to schedule.

ConsThere is a huge lack of communication and cooperation between different functions and between management and employees. There is little openness to challenge of ideas and subject matter experts are usually disregarded. People work in silos, and the organization is hugely political.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider listening to your people more, you have a lot of very experienced knowledgable people that can contribute greatly to the business. People are passionate and feel valor ate when they are listened to and considered. Additionally, try to on board people better, a lot of teams, people is thrown to a position with no guidance what so ever and sometimes with not very welcoming teams.

Large pharma that tries to stay nimble.

Executive Director (Current Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsDiverse workforce. Lots of support functions. Numerous perks (on site gym, matching funds for charitry, on-site restauarants, conmpany store, discounts on personal cell phone servcei etc).

ConsToo many managers who think that "I am senior and therefore smarter." Extremely bureacratic. Very easy to become pigeon-holed. Meidical benefits have become progressively weaker-at one time they were great and now they are barely adequate.

Advice to Senior ManagementCloser oversight of mid-level managers. Tere are too many that seek to advance themselves on the backs of their subordinates, leading to discontent in the trenches.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Upper management's fantasy world allows them to believe they've reinvented the wheel

Neuro Psych Specialist (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsDirect report management was great

ConsThe upper management is either in denial or smoking something

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to "the front lines!" ((Sadly, this will never happen, rather it's easier to stay quiet, check Facebook & collect an unreasonably high salary to look busy while making no difference whatsoever. Thank God for R & D!

Good process orienteted company

Systems Consultant (Current Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsGood company, good growth, good opportunities.

ConsHiring and firing policies,

Changing Industry

Miami, FL

ProsA great company over the years

ConsLimited pipeline and products in primary care

Very Favorable experience

East Hanover, NJ

ProsCommitted to R&D spending above peer companies
    Diverse portfolio of industry leading products
    Hire bright people with good values
    Invest in the development of talent
    Beautiful campus

ConsSignificant downsizing in field sales, research in recent years
    Heavy workload for many

11 years experience generally happy with company

Grand Rapids, MI

Prosgood managers, reasonable sales goals, manageable territories

Conspoor product pipeline for the future

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue with an business ownership mentality

Good place to work

ProsGreat benefits, flexible work schedules catering to employees, week long shutdown at end of year, good work-life balance

ConsManagement is sometimes not open to concerns of employees, yearly/bi-annual layoffs it seems

Executive Sales consultant

Executive Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent pay and benefits. Products that help humanity. Excellent effort ($) put into R&D. The people care and work hard, Diverse portfolio of subdivisions: Brand Pharma, Vaccine, OTC, etc. Let's face it--we need pharma to innovate so we can all live better, healthier lives. Unfortunately, there are strong cultural forces that deny or oppose that idea. This company is trying to walk the tightrope between political correctness and profitability,

ConsIn the Brand divisions several important patents have expired. FDA taking tougher stance on new approvals has made promising pipeline products get denied or require more study. Legislation has taken an industry that was recessing and added to the hurt. Healthcare dollars are moving from patient care to bureaucratic payroll. We are paying people to say "no."

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation made you. Innovation will turn this around. Nobody can deny the value of Pharma once their life was spared or renewed.

Worked for Novartis Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Novartis Pharmaceuticals reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Novartis Pharmaceuticals CEO André Wyss. All 461 reviews posted anonymously by Novartis Pharmaceuticals employees.