Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Novartis Pharmaceuticals Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Novartis Pharmaceuticals President André Wyss

André Wyss

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance with many activities for company bonding"
    in 32 reviews
  • "good company with good benefits"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "Large company work life balance is hard if you can't do it for yourself"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Not robust career development, there should be more emphasis on your future in Novartis"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

okay

Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsAt one point a great company to work for. Benefits salary, etc,

Consdeclining pipeline, LOE of key brands and lack of communication with upper management

Advice to Senior Managementincrease product pipeline

I enjoy working at Novartis

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Wilkes-Barre, PA

ProsGreat people, good pay, great culture

ConsMany reorganizations and restructuring, etc

I have been grateful for my career with Novartis.

ProsIf you are in Oncology or one of the other specialty groups, it can be a good place to work

ConsI am concerned about the lack of new medications in the pipeline when it comes to general medicines.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pipeline, but not a fulfilling environment

Global Trial Leader (Current Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsEntry base pay is appropriate and relative to experience.
    Small rotation program available to learn about and to contribute across line functions.
    Good collaborative cross-functional communication can exist if you try hard as a team.
    Interacting with some of the most passionate people I have meet across the industry who know their science and care about the patient.
    Strong pipeline.

ConsLow bonus pay and and no stock options for most worker-bee levels in the company computers to other pharma.
    Strategies for work life balance are implemented in very different ways depending on your direct line management- when they are flexible, they are super flexible. But for those with face-time needing managers, the flexibility does not exist. I've worked for both extremes of the spectrum.
    Too many micromanaging middle managers- influences productivity, morale, deliverables and overall team efficiency.
    Developing your direct reports is not valued. It is great that you work hard to go to bat for others and your direct reports and push hard to support their growth, but it is demoralizing when the next level up does little to support development or praise our level's work or development.
    Commitment to 'diversity' contributes to keeping toxic coworkers thus affecting people and projects negatively.
    Antiquated review and rating system where a lot can get missed and managers can take a few words out of context from a multirater and greaty distort the intent of the contents due to their lack of understanding of a person's contribution to the overall project and their lack of understanding of a role's interaction with other line functions. Some do a disservice to staff by applying a broad stroke to reviews and compare tasks done by all people in a role. We need more adept managers who understand the different cycles of projects and can appreciate the value of contributions in the short and long term. It is very demotivating when management in other departments acknowledges and praises you and your colleagues, but your direct management routinely does the exact opposite.
    Disruptive innovation is not embraced or understood by all management.
    It is not an issue anymore for our family, but did employees are still waiting for the child care center. However they did already build another fitness center, outdoor basketball court, etc.
    A lot of outsourcing of fundamental tasks supportive of the clinical development business.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your people, grow your people, let them show you what they can do.

It's for the long term health of the company

Field Representative (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGood training. Lots of resources.

ConsPoor culture. You're a number. You're in fear of being downsized every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're turnover of good people is hurting the long term bottom line.

mediocre at best

QC RA (Current Employee)
    San Carlos, CA

Proseasy work; everyone is going home early here....

Consmany lazy, click-ish employees; don't want to be another brick in the wall......

Advice to Senior Managementincrease salary for new comers and hire them perm.

Pays great but it is extremely unfulfilling if you work in technology

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsGreat salary + bonus and benefits package. Nice onsite facilities - multiple decent cafeterias, full service fitness centers, pleasant modern office spaces (even nice cubicle setups).

ConsIn IT and other technical areas, very heavy use of outsourcing to clueless offshore companies and also work shifting to India office. Extreme levels of bureaucracy, resulting in projects and technology moving at a glacial pace. Frequent high-level reorgs and layoffs.

Novartis as a whole is a great company.

ProsNovartis has many opportunities and encourages their employees to expand to their other divisions. The benefits are excellent!

ConsToo many internal admin processes and busy work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep Novartis as it was a few years ago...more customer focused and not so internal process oriented.

Good company with strong pipeline

Clinical Trial Leader (Current Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsSenior management encourages opportunities for career development

ConsWork-life balance is difficult to manage

cut and run

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

Prosused to be benefits, but not any longer

Consmicro management, lack of SOPs and process guidance. No integrity in the drug development process. Individual departments work like a CRO, trying to please their customers while violating SOPs, FDA guidelines and ICH.

Advice to Senior Managementmake a decision are you a pharma company or a health care company..

Worked for Novartis Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Novartis Pharmaceuticals reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Novartis Pharmaceuticals CEO André Wyss. All 461 reviews posted anonymously by Novartis Pharmaceuticals employees.