Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Novartis Pharmaceuticals President André Wyss

André Wyss

76 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An excellent company that cares about its' employees

Senior Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent company, very employee friendly, flexible hours, high quality people

ConsToo much beaurocracy, too long to make some decisons

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower teams and individuals more

Great fiscally run pharmacy company with good values

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat inherent values and behaviors

ConsHard to move up to upper levels

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep business leadership fresh and experienced in niche pharmacy markets

Job experience

IT Director (Current Employee)
East Hanover, NJ

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDiverse/Global, various opportunities, forward thinking. Opportunity to drive activities and challenge the status quo. Flexibility in work. Flat hierarchy.

Consbig company bureaucracy, heavy process oriented, constant change, heavy work load

Advice to Senior ManagementTake risks. Be willing to cut losses early on - don't do it just because you have spent good monies or time. This requries good risk management at every level. Hear from people at ground level.

Great companies are made from great people to work with; Novartis is one of these places.

Clinical Research Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is plenty of work to go around due to the robust pipeline. The people there are very friendly. Here you will notice many smiling faces.

ConsSalaries have a wide range and are not guaranteed to be within the suggested range of the position (for better and for worse).

Advice to Senior ManagementExperienced and skilled workers need to know they are valued. One way this can be clearly seen is through compensation increase.

Very oriented to retaining good talent

Associate Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits, care about employee wellness

ConsAlot of restructuring and org changes

Great people in charges, positive culture

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDo the right thing when it comes to their employees and the patients they serve
Positive work environment, lots of autonomy

ConsCan be crippled by legal concerns, which while understandable, can be to the point of ridiculousness. We are more strapped by legal than other pharmacy companies.

Salary

Process Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary was good sometimes you feel you deserve more based on your yearly review.

ConsYearly review can be tedious

Good company but be prepared to WORK hard

Product Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTraining and development, facility, salary and benefits are top notch. There are alot of smart people there that you can learn alot from. One of the best in supporting career development through traditional and untraditional roles.

ConsWork/life imbalance: associates routinely work 12+ hour days, after hours, vacation. The politics change frequently and the management as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a change and stick with it long enough to see if effective. The organization changes too rapidly to see what is working and what isn't.

Good but don't count on Employee Development unless your in top 2%

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe company offers competitive salary, benefits and generous time off. The facilities and amenities are fantastic and the company holds campaigns/activities to engage the employees in various activities. Flex time and telecommuting are also allowed but at the discretion of each manager. Lots of employee resource group activities to support diversity and understanding among the diverse employee base. Rewards and recognitions programs in place and LOTS of town hall meetings and communication forums from senior management.

ConsEmployee development not taken serious unless you are in top/key player in company. The company has been undergoing large layoffs. As a result, the remaining employees are overworked and stressed out. Work life balance means working from home in the evenings after putting in a 8 - 10 hour day at the office. Most employees also respond to calls, emails or requests when on vacation.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow an interest in ALL employee career development and hold vacation time sacred so your words and actions align. Employees are overworked and way too stressed out so start figuring out what information is really needed vs. asking for every variation or minute piece of detail.

Future isn't bright

Associate Director (Current Employee)
East Hanover, NJ

ProsStill a nice company to work for, great benefits (though they are getting worse), mostly nice and well-qualified people

ConsShaky pipeline, bad decision making by management - remember Famvir? No way they'll find a substitute for Diovan cash cow so it will be one lay-off afer another. The company is going down, hopefully they have enough money in Basel it keep it afloat.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back Kurt Graves and Len Kanavy

Worked for Novartis Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Novartis Pharmaceuticals reviews and ratings in East Hanover, NJ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Novartis Pharmaceuticals CEO André Wyss. All 76 reviews posted anonymously by Novartis Pharmaceuticals employees.