Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Novartis Pharmaceuticals President André Wyss

André Wyss

84 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall favorable place to work but several caveats

East Hanover, NJ

ProsPay is good and benefits are good.
    Staff and corporate culture are ethical.

ConsRecent round of layoffs left me with out the resources to do my job properly

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen doing layoffs, management should develop a continuity of operations plans BEFORE the layoffs so that you can be sure that work can continue at least at 80 to 90% of previous levels.

For technologists, it is not the place to work

Senior Applications Architect (Current Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsWork life balance, provides opportunities to innovate

ConsIt's a typical European company, lot of hidden hierarchies. Absence of strong IT Governance

Advice to Senior ManagementShow career roadmap to employees and make them grow in their roles

Great Company

Director (Former Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsExcellent work environment and very good senior leadership. Great Diversity programs and policies and treats employees fairly and with respect.

ConsDifficult to gain new positions in other departments

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on your excellent financial control and policies but encourage new innovative thinking to develop new marketplaces.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

happy where I am

Senior Global Trial Leader (Current Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

Prosgood company with good benefits

Consconstant re-organization and shifting of jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees

Challenging Electrical Engineering Assignments

Project Manager (Electrical Engineer) (Former Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsInteresting work, good pay, reasonable expectations.

ConsLack of long term commitment to employees. Contract assignment was relatively brief due to changing management plans. Lack of coordination and cooperation between former Sandoz and Ciba Geigy dominated groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate the corporate cultures from the two former separate corporate entities. A clash of cultures and personalities between these groups hinders the most effective use of human resources and affects the bottom line.

Management should listen more to their employees.

Medical Advisor (Current Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsLots of perks, a lot of flexibility to work remotely and in regards to schedule.

ConsThere is a huge lack of communication and cooperation between different functions and between management and employees. There is little openness to challenge of ideas and subject matter experts are usually disregarded. People work in silos, and the organization is hugely political.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider listening to your people more, you have a lot of very experienced knowledgable people that can contribute greatly to the business. People are passionate and feel valor ate when they are listened to and considered. Additionally, try to on board people better, a lot of teams, people is thrown to a position with no guidance what so ever and sometimes with not very welcoming teams.

Large pharma that tries to stay nimble.

Executive Director (Current Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsDiverse workforce. Lots of support functions. Numerous perks (on site gym, matching funds for charitry, on-site restauarants, conmpany store, discounts on personal cell phone servcei etc).

ConsToo many managers who think that "I am senior and therefore smarter." Extremely bureacratic. Very easy to become pigeon-holed. Meidical benefits have become progressively weaker-at one time they were great and now they are barely adequate.

Advice to Senior ManagementCloser oversight of mid-level managers. Tere are too many that seek to advance themselves on the backs of their subordinates, leading to discontent in the trenches.

Good process orienteted company

Systems Consultant (Current Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsGood company, good growth, good opportunities.

ConsHiring and firing policies,

Very Favorable experience

East Hanover, NJ

ProsCommitted to R&D spending above peer companies
    Diverse portfolio of industry leading products
    Hire bright people with good values
    Invest in the development of talent
    Beautiful campus

ConsSignificant downsizing in field sales, research in recent years
    Heavy workload for many

Great people, good experience, future opportunities diminishing in sales as pipeline continues to specialize.

Manager (Current Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsI've worked under 10 different people and each one has been a great leader from whom I've learned a lot and been able to develop. Career opportunities exist if you take advantage of them and perform. Benefits outstanding and Novartis takes care of it's employees when they suffer hardship (ie, natural disasters, personal setbacks or layoffs).

ConsPrimary care portfolio limited and unlikely for growth which has resulted in multiple layoffs over the last 6 years. Those remaining must compete with many for remaining jobs; progressive development more difficult as leadership openings shrink rapidly. For sales people, goaling methodology flawed, cumbersome and arbitrary which can be very frustrating and difficult to manage effectively.

Worked for Novartis Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Novartis Pharmaceuticals reviews and ratings in East Hanover, NJ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Novartis Pharmaceuticals CEO André Wyss. All 84 reviews posted anonymously by Novartis Pharmaceuticals employees.