Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Novartis Pharmaceuticals Reviews in East Hanover, NJ

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Novartis Pharmaceuticals President André Wyss

André Wyss

Pros
  • Good work life balance with many activities for company bonding(in 35 reviews)

• good company with good benefits(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work load is just too much and there is absolutely no work life balance at all(in 24 reviews)

• No work life balance and lack of promotion opportunity(in 7 reviews)

84 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall favorable place to work but several caveats

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) East Hanover, NJ

ProsPay is good and benefits are good.
    Staff and corporate culture are ethical.

ConsRecent round of layoffs left me with out the resources to do my job properly

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen doing layoffs, management should develop a continuity of operations plans BEFORE the layoffs so that you can be sure that work can continue at least at 80 to 90% of previous levels.

For technologists, it is not the place to work

Senior Applications Architect (Current Employee) East Hanover, NJ

ProsWork life balance, provides opportunities to innovate

ConsIt's a typical European company, lot of hidden hierarchies. Absence of strong IT Governance

Advice to Senior ManagementShow career roadmap to employees and make them grow in their roles

Great Company

Director (Former Employee) East Hanover, NJ

ProsExcellent work environment and very good senior leadership. Great Diversity programs and policies and treats employees fairly and with respect.

ConsDifficult to gain new positions in other departments

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on your excellent financial control and policies but encourage new innovative thinking to develop new marketplaces.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

happy where I am

Senior Global Trial Leader (Current Employee) East Hanover, NJ

Prosgood company with good benefits

Consconstant re-organization and shifting of jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees

Management should listen more to their employees.

Medical Advisor (Current Employee) East Hanover, NJ

ProsLots of perks, a lot of flexibility to work remotely and in regards to schedule.

ConsThere is a huge lack of communication and cooperation between different functions and between management and employees. There is little openness to challenge of ideas and subject matter experts are usually disregarded. People work in silos, and the organization is hugely political.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider listening to your people more, you have a lot of very experienced knowledgable people that can contribute greatly to the business. People are passionate and feel valor ate when they are listened to and considered. Additionally, try to on board people better, a lot of teams, people is thrown to a position with no guidance what so ever and sometimes with not very welcoming teams.

Large pharma that tries to stay nimble.

Executive Director (Current Employee) East Hanover, NJ

ProsDiverse workforce. Lots of support functions. Numerous perks (on site gym, matching funds for charitry, on-site restauarants, conmpany store, discounts on personal cell phone servcei etc).

ConsToo many managers who think that "I am senior and therefore smarter." Extremely bureacratic. Very easy to become pigeon-holed. Meidical benefits have become progressively weaker-at one time they were great and now they are barely adequate.

Advice to Senior ManagementCloser oversight of mid-level managers. Tere are too many that seek to advance themselves on the backs of their subordinates, leading to discontent in the trenches.

Challenging Electrical Engineering Assignments

Project Manager (Electrical Engineer) (Former Employee) East Hanover, NJ

ProsInteresting work, good pay, reasonable expectations.

ConsLack of long term commitment to employees. Contract assignment was relatively brief due to changing management plans. Lack of coordination and cooperation between former Sandoz and Ciba Geigy dominated groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate the corporate cultures from the two former separate corporate entities. A clash of cultures and personalities between these groups hinders the most effective use of human resources and affects the bottom line.

Very Favorable experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) East Hanover, NJ

ProsCommitted to R&D spending above peer companies
    Diverse portfolio of industry leading products
    Hire bright people with good values
    Invest in the development of talent
    Beautiful campus

ConsSignificant downsizing in field sales, research in recent years
    Heavy workload for many

Good process orienteted company

Systems Consultant (Current Employee) East Hanover, NJ

ProsGood company, good growth, good opportunities.

ConsHiring and firing policies,

Good pipeline, but not a fulfilling environment

Global Trial Leader (Current Employee) East Hanover, NJ

ProsEntry base pay is appropriate and relative to experience.
    Small rotation program available to learn about and to contribute across line functions.
    Good collaborative cross-functional communication can exist if you try hard as a team.
    Interacting with some of the most passionate people I have meet across the industry who know their science and care about the patient.
    Strong pipeline.

ConsLow bonus pay and and no stock options for most worker-bee levels in the company computers to other pharma.
    Strategies for work life balance are implemented in very different ways depending on your direct line management- when they are flexible, they are super flexible. But for those with face-time needing managers, the flexibility does not exist. I've worked for both extremes of the spectrum.
    Too many micromanaging middle managers- influences productivity, morale, deliverables and overall team efficiency.
    Developing your direct reports is not valued. It is great that you work hard to go to bat for others and your direct reports and push hard to support their growth, but it is demoralizing when the next level up does little to support development or praise our level's work or development.
    Commitment to 'diversity' contributes to keeping toxic coworkers thus affecting people and projects negatively.
    Antiquated review and rating system where a lot can get missed and managers can take a few words out of context from a multirater and greaty distort the intent of the contents due to their lack of understanding of a person's contribution to the overall project and their lack of understanding of a role's interaction with other line functions. Some do a disservice to staff by applying a broad stroke to reviews and compare tasks done by all people in a role. We need more adept managers who understand the different cycles of projects and can appreciate the value of contributions in the short and long term. It is very demotivating when management in other departments acknowledges and praises you and your colleagues, but your direct management routinely does the exact opposite.
    Disruptive innovation is not embraced or understood by all management.
    It is not an issue anymore for our family, but did employees are still waiting for the child care center. However they did already build another fitness center, outdoor basketball court, etc.
    A lot of outsourcing of fundamental tasks supportive of the clinical development business.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your people, grow your people, let them show you what they can do.

Worked for Novartis Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!