Novartis

www.novartis.com

Novartis Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Novartis CEO Joseph (Joe) Jimenez Jr.

Joseph (Joe) Jimenez Jr.

Pros
  • Work life balance can be achieved if you prioritize it (in 14 reviews)

• Great products, challenging environment, good pay and benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There are different cultural norms for work/life balance depending on site & business unit (in 11 reviews)

• People loosing focus on business due to senior management style (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Big company. What do you expect?

ProsNew technology, cutting edge. Get to work on a lot of interesting programs and projects. Am able to go to trainings whenever I need to. Great people. Everyone is very motivated.

ConsCorporate structure is overbearing at times. Tons of red tape. Lots of moments of asking yourself if upper management really cares about us or if we're all just numbers on an excel sheet in basel (which we are).

Novartis has been a fulfilling company to work for over the years with a good work environment and excellent benefits.

ProsGreat benefits package, clean work environment, sustainable growth opportunities, low turnover.

ConsCan be tough to promote or move forward with the company locally, low turnover makes it fairly difficult to advance, when they do promote its usually from outside of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more effort to share knowledge and to offer opportunities to take chances to those below you.

Long time career over 10 years.

Account Management (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pipeline. Lots of opportunity if you are willing to move.

ConsBig Pharma. Very political. It's not what you know, it is who you know and who likes you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT management

IT Functional Information Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI worked for Novartis for more 10 years, first few years were great and the CIO actually knew what is needed and what the strategy was, he was very much a people person and actual had conversation with his staff and their staff. I was able to deliver 8-10 large systems which people still use today. Learned lots of things and charted the areas that we're not even thought of until recently. Current management is too busy trying find out what to?

ConsManagement does not know how to run the business and support the business technically. Directors and above are too busy trying to get promoted and not do anything for many years to show for accomplishments and these people are the one that gets promoted. Take a look at track record and you will see, people under them did the work and credit is taken by the director and they are getting promoted. It is like college club house and it takes long to get in, if you are not in get out. There is no way you will ever get recognized or promoted. No direction, lack of trust, egoistic and opinionated culture. Do not trust anyone. HR will only listen to management no matter what the facts are so better if leave and find other companies to work for and for less money. Long hours too.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look inside yourself and can you look in mirror and say you have been fair and honest. You will see dishonesty and inhuman behavior. Practice what you preach, you should learn and behave in what Novartis culture and beliefs are first and practice.

Novartis does not reward or acknowledge performers.....

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsIf you are a Diversity hire or employee....your future is bright.

ConsIf you are a white male high proven performer....you will be passed up 90% of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your performers and stop promoting and hiring people because your worried about another lawsuit.

No regard for years of service

Director (Former Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsGreat products, challenging environment, good pay and benefits

ConsPolitical, little opportunity for advancement

Positive experience as Scientific Associate

Associate Scientist (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsChallenging work environment that encourages personal and professional growth. Collaborative culture and supportive network.

ConsCommute into Cambridge can be difficult.

Manager

Manager (Former Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsFlexible schedule, good benefits, training available if supported by manager

ConsConstant change in management and processes

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much time spent on firefighting and damage control. Lack the time for creativity and change. Too much time spent on review process without a return for employee developemnt

worked at Novartis consumer health division

Supply Chain (Former Employee) Parsippany, NJ

Prosexcellent benefits, good name recognition

Consuncertainty as division is the worst performer across all divisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNCH needs leaders to battle the quality storm

A global rollercoaster

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGlobal thinking, depth of analysis, financial rigor and controls,

ConsFrequency of management turnover, shifting objectives, expectations which at times are impossible to achieve

Advice to Senior ManagementListen better to employees and get better at recognizing and rewarding results

Worked for Novartis? Contribute to the Community!