Novatek

Novatek Reviews

3.8

David R. Hall
1 Rating

Great internship and chance to learn.

I worked at Novatek as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible work hours (due to hourly pay for all employees). Excellent opportunity to produce and present results as an intern.

Cons

Hourly pay for everybody. Superficial benefits are good (free lunch, use company equipment for personal stuff), but few options for long-term benefits (retirement, insurance, etc.).

Small company feel

I worked at Novatek

Pros

Salary was good for an inexperienced intern

Cons

Somewhat eclectic rules and bonuses

Be more consistent

Small with dramatic profit

Former Employee - Patent Draftsmen in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Patent Draftsmen in Provo, UT

I worked at Novatek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, little bureaucracy and nice location.

Cons

Too much politics for a small company. Hiring and firing trends are too dramatic.

Company changes direction based off off President's whims when it should be based off of market needs.

Freedom to participate in many different phases of the product development process

Current Employee - Engineer Intern in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer Intern in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novatek as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

You are free to explore your skill set by working on concept development, design, testing, or production of the product. Great people to work with as well. The environment is very positive and hands-on.

Cons

The management is a bit eccentric, so there are some quirky aspects to working at Novatek. For example: hourly pay, no health/retirement befenfits, and an occasional email from the CEO ranting about politics.

I feel that employees respond positively to incentives--group health insurance would be great.

Dynamic and new

Current Employee - Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novatek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The ability to be creative and not experience the red tape bureaucracy of traditional large R&D engineering companies. A lot of great employees to work with and learn from. Friendly environment and dedicated to succeed. Great experience and pay for interns, invaluable.

Cons

No employee benefits at all (Medical, Dental, PTO, Retirement). Can be a volatile with the increasing frequency of layoffs. Pay is not great and there are no annual reviews with senior management.

Be more interested in the employees and provide feedback to them. An annual review that includes where the employee is at and what is expected for the employee to be more valuable and be eligible for a raise would be a good start. Incentives to succeed.

Novatek is all about innovation

Former Employee - Health and Wellness Program Developer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Health and Wellness Program Developer in Provo, UT

I worked at Novatek part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Novatek is a great place to work if you want to be on the cutting edge of developing supermaterial industrial applications and patents. Their company has registered 25 patents since the beginning of the year and there are still 3.5 months left for 2012. Pay is competitive. If you have an idea or research development you are interested in pursuing in the realm of supermaterials (IE: industrial diamonds and their applications) the president of the company is very good about hearing proposals once you've established yourself as a dependable and trustworthy employee. Just make sure that you've done sufficient background research and that you put together a solid proposal.

Cons

If you are working in the field of research and development, it is important to keep in mind that you need to be able to deliver results on a consistent basis. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. but since Novatek is all about development and innovation, you need to come up with a new idea AND form a concrete visualization of what that idea is. That's the relatively easy part. The real challenge comes from being able to put together a realistic timeline and an effective plan of action on how to bring that into being. This means you have to do things that no one has done before, which can be pretty darn cool; but can also be accompanied by quite a bit of stress and uncertainty.

Good place for creative engineers, but has awful management

Former Employee - Structural Design Intern in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Structural Design Intern in Provo, UT

I worked at Novatek as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I had a great experience with the engineers and drafters I had immediate interaction with. We had a diverse and creative team with an immediate supervisor that was driven, goal, oriented and fun to work with. I had a great time there only due to the people I worked with and felt like we were among the most productive and innovative in the company. I learned alot about innovation, creativity and team work from this experience. But outside of this group of core engineers was a complete twighlight zone that I never want to repeat which you will read about below.

Cons

The upper level management is completely incompitent and oppressive. There is not a single professionally liscensed engineer in the entire company, so you can expect very little growth from older engineers.

The "experienced" engineers they rely on, have not kept current with other technology outside of Novatek and think the entire world revolves around them and the company. Many outstanding and innovative ideas were shot down by the CEO and his "elite engineers" simply because it wasn't their idea. Or they didn't understand the concept and didn't want to look incompetent by asking further questions. So they critisize and mock so their inadequacies are kept hidden. The result...frustrated employees and stagnation in the innovation process. We were often forced to pursue the most of ludicrous ideas, that came from upper level management. When showed the damning evidence that it wouldn't work, they often disbelieved or accused to defend their incompetent ideas. Management especially the CEO also chooses favorites and grants them security when the company is in trouble. This typically includes the CEO's sons and or people that flatter the CEO by praising his misguided and unintelligent decisions. Once when the CEO was approached by three consulting engineers about a flaw in the design of a mechanical part that compromised the wording in a patent, instead of fixing the part or correcting the patent, the CEO's solution was to fire the three of them. No squeaky wheel...no heart ache right? That is how it is done at Novatek.

Length of response nor words are adequate to describe how backwards and frustrating this company can be. Since the CEO is compulsive with money and pays himself way too much, he jeopardizes the entire company financially. On a whim he decided to buy all his managers iPads only to learn that they don't run flash which is what the company website runs off of, which is where we do nearly all of our work. Nice one. All in one morning, all bonuses were cut, all phone reinbursements were cut, all travel reimbursements were cut, and all employees were ordered by company mandate to buy iphones on their own dime by the end of the year. New interns were forced to work unpayed time learning new software packages that the company would use for product design. I've seen the CEO insult hard working and productive employees, he doesn't like, openly in front of guests and in design review meetings. They will change employees over to salary pay without their consent and force them to work 50 hour weeks. This and many other outrageous decisions have led to disaster within the company, at least to those who aren't related to the CEO or praise him in his ludicrousy. All this and much much more led up to a massive release of many dozens of employees via a three sentence long email sent to them from the CEO on Father's Day morning 2012! I could keep going. But I think you get the picture.

I would not recommend working here. I consider myself lucky to have worked with my specific team that had their heads on straight and had to deal patiently with a very confused and deranged management system. Oldly enough I wouldn't take back the experience I got there because I made a few great friends, whom I bonded well with and learned alot from. I think maybe because we were kicked around the company we clung to each other as a team so well. Chances are you won't have that experience seeing that all the good employees have been layed off.

Don't hire engineers and then refuse to listen to them.
    Don't hire your sons but condemn other managers for the same.
    Don't spend 12 million dollars meant for payroll on swamp-land south of Novatek campus for frivilous reasons.
    Encourage your engineers to become liscensed.
    Hire a professional accountant that can control you're unparalled desire to waste money.
    Don't violate contracts with consultants or testing facilities.
    Pay people ontime
    Don't insult worker's/intern's fields of study or work in front of guests and potential partners
    Purge yourself of your god complex
    Don't lie and exagerate about your products to clients in order to sell them.
    Abide by the law and follow city codes.
    If all these things are done I will be willing remove this scathing review and recommend people to work at Novatek.

Great internship, not so great full time

Current Employee - Intern: Novadrill Group in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Intern: Novadrill Group in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novatek

Pros

Novatek focuses on getting prototypes done quickly. There is a great opportunity to learn and take initiative to get things done. They are extremely generous with the schedule and time off. They pay interns well and give them a lot of unique opportunities.

Cons

For full time employees they pay below average and have no benefits (as of recently). There is little feedback on projects and performance.

offer benefits or a better salary. Communicate better with employees on performance and offer bonuses for excellent work.

Good place to start a career.

Current Employee - Intern in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Intern in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novatek

Pros

Very flexible with time off.

Cons

Not enough to do as an intern.

Innovative, Creative Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Novatek

Pros

Great opportunity to work on cutting edge technology

Cons

Little feedback on performance from senior management, direction and overall vision changeable and not always clearly communicated.

Make the company less personality driven, establish clearer procedures and policies.