Novatel Wireless

Novatel Wireless Chairman and CEO Peter V. Leparulo

Peter V. Leparulo

Things could be better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSmall, intimate team. Friendly co-workers. Get to work on many different areas of wireless technologies.

ConsLack of merit increases. Unpredictable project schedule. Depressed stock prices.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of employees

A rollercoaster ride ...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has a high concentration of smart, dedicated employees. The work environment can be very exciting ("MiFi" was invented here). If you like ups and downs, this is the place for you!

ConsM2M business has been slow to scale. Mobile computing products are hit or miss. The company is in a hole and needs top dig itself out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake responsibility, admit failures, be open and honest to all stake-holders and simply lead (or find others who will).

Great potential, terrible management.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt's a good place to work - people are friendly, good atmosphere.

ConsThe executive management team is incompetent and it trickles down to the rest of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to go.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good working environment with excellent benefits.

ProsPeople are wonderful within this company and the benefits are normal. The amenities within the complex are great. it has a good gym, swimming pool, and tennis courts. There is also a fitness staff that teaches yoga, a variety of cardio classes and tennis clinic

ConsThere is really is very little advancement within the company. There has been no raises for 4 years. Stock options are not very high.

Great workers, horrible executive leadership, not even respectable executive management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsReally smart, hard working employees, who hang in for each other. Between phones and laptops employees are working all the time to support the US during the day and the Asia CMs at night.

ConsNo raises for employees for several years, small bonuses and several layoffs. Yet the executive team has given themselves stock and raises. No strategic plan of any merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe lack of attention post the 65 million dollar Enfora purchase alone should have had several people self relieved of their positions. But that did that did not happen. Now, adding salt to the wound, the CEO has added a $60k raise to his pocket. GO! Before there is nothing left.

They stole 6 years of my life and I want them back!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery few that I can think of. Despite the horrible atmosphere the bulk of the non-management employees are top notch. How this happens is beyond me. Standard benefit package is pretty decent.

ConsThe CEO and Executive Management team have delusions of adequacy. They are compulsive liars and the CEO quite literally acts like a child. How he keeps his job is truly beyond me. He's had 7 years to turn the company around but continues to drive it into the ground. He has managed to fill the Board with his cronies so there is zero oversight or accountability. He would have been fired years ago in a real company.

If you work for Novatel you can expect long hours with little recognition or reward. Annual bonuses are hit and miss and only two raises were given in the six years I worked there. Promotions are also few and far between and when you are actually lucky enough to get one, the most you can expect is a 3 or 4 percent increase. It's not uncommon to receive 0%...All the while the Executive team receives fat compensation, has lunch catered in EVERY day at the company's expense, and travel Business class while the company maintains its non-profitability status quarter after quarter.

Also don't expect the least amount of compassion when it comes time to be laid off. They are the worst I've seen at this. You won't receive even the least bit of compassion or humanity. They do multiple layoffs so that they can stay below the WARN act. They'll exit you and cut off your health benefits that same day. Not even so much as a week or month to get something else in place. Review your severance package carefully as it is typically rife with errors. The entire HR staff should be terminated.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves. Honestly, how much do you need? You've already screwed investors out of millions lining your own pockets and saving your collective butts from litigation. Do the right thing and leave now so that the remaining employees at least have a small shot of turning that place around with a real leadership team. You owe it to them.

Great people but. ...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe workers are great. I can't speak for everyone but my peers were great. Always willing to help and back you up and my immediate supervisor was amazing, caring and understanding. Benefits were great.

ConsExecutive and sometimes upper management are horrible. CEO is driving the company into he ground. 3 "restructuring" aka layoffs in one year!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your skilled workers with respect and keep them and layoff the dead weight I.stead of keeping them and paying them higher than the employees that actually do do work and bust their ads to their jobs!!

I have been working at Novatel Wireless. "It is great but do not want to work here forever”

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThere are a lot of competent people at Novatel especially in Engineering and Operations
    Work with all the latest and greatest in technology.
     Co-workers are great to get along with. Most people are very helping.

ConsLow salaries.
    Worried about company stability.
    Layoffs each year without any notice.
    Management is horrible on almost all levels.
    Anyone here below executive level has ZERO power in the company
    Lack of communication
    No Transparency

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency in groups

Awful Experience

Various (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIf you want to waste a few years of your life and career potential, please go ahead and join this company.
    All fairness, the balance of life here is OK.
    You enjoy all the amenity you should have with a high tech company.
    You got to learn some advanced stuff.
    You can loaf along easily.

ConsNo one cares about you from the management.
    Average promotion is longer than 5 years (roughly).
    No recognition.
    Business outlook is grim.
    CEO lies compulsively.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself.

Greedy worthless Executives

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEngineers are great to work with.

ConsGreedy Executives. They care only about themselves. After 16 straight quarter losses, CEO is still around and none of the executives are fired. Isn't their lack of experience obvious enough? They probably don't even know what a MBA stands for. The board members don't do anything. They are in cahoots to just wait for their share while lay off after lay offs. NVTL layoffs little by little so to go unnoticed by investors.

Don't forget about the insider trading. Wonder why NVTL settle... afraid of the truth.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutives, do everyone a favor and leave. Everyone in the company knows how you awarded yourselves hundreds of thousands of RSU even during the layoffs.

VPs are hopeless and keep saying there is no layoffs while plotting how to save their own position.

To current employees, leave while there is still money.

Worked for Novatel Wireless? Contribute to the Community!