Novatel Wireless

Big company, burning cash

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Novatel Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The technology I used day-to-day was quite fun, and, due to incompetent oversight, unregulated. I got to do a lot of fun things that I just thought up since nobody really cared.
    Fairly well-funded (for now), so the office environment was pretty nice. It's like they were doing their best to make it seem fun, and I didn't hate the effort.

Cons

Management was clueless beyond compare.
    CEO was vain, idiotic and so incredibly detached. Seriously, this guy might be smart, but it was never demonstrated in any of the (very limited) interactions he had with the company.

Quit. No, seriously. There are some great engineers there. They would do so much better at performing your job, and they would actually understand what their workers are doing.

Things could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Novatel Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Small, intimate team. Friendly co-workers. Get to work on many different areas of wireless technologies.

Cons

Lack of merit increases. Unpredictable project schedule. Depressed stock prices.

Take better care of employees

A rollercoaster ride ...

I worked at Novatel Wireless full-time

Pros

The company has a high concentration of smart, dedicated employees. The work environment can be very exciting ("MiFi" was invented here). If you like ups and downs, this is the place for you!

Cons

M2M business has been slow to scale. Mobile computing products are hit or miss. The company is in a hole and needs top dig itself out.

Take responsibility, admit failures, be open and honest to all stake-holders and simply lead (or find others who will).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good working environment with excellent benefits.

I have been working at Novatel Wireless full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are wonderful within this company and the benefits are normal. The amenities within the complex are great. it has a good gym, swimming pool, and tennis courts. There is also a fitness staff that teaches yoga, a variety of cardio classes and tennis clinic

Cons

There is really is very little advancement within the company. There has been no raises for 4 years. Stock options are not very high.

Great potential, terrible management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Novatel Wireless full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a good place to work - people are friendly, good atmosphere.

Cons

The executive management team is incompetent and it trickles down to the rest of the organization.

It's time to go.

Great workers, horrible executive leadership, not even respectable executive management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Novatel Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Really smart, hard working employees, who hang in for each other. Between phones and laptops employees are working all the time to support the US during the day and the Asia CMs at night.

Cons

No raises for employees for several years, small bonuses and several layoffs. Yet the executive team has given themselves stock and raises. No strategic plan of any merit.

The lack of attention post the 65 million dollar Enfora purchase alone should have had several people self relieved of their positions. But that did that did not happen. Now, adding salt to the wound, the CEO has added a $60k raise to his pocket. GO! Before there is nothing left.

Great people but. ...

I worked at Novatel Wireless

Pros

The workers are great. I can't speak for everyone but my peers were great. Always willing to help and back you up and my immediate supervisor was amazing, caring and understanding. Benefits were great.

Cons

Executive and sometimes upper management are horrible. CEO is driving the company into he ground. 3 "restructuring" aka layoffs in one year!!!!

Treat your skilled workers with respect and keep them and layoff the dead weight I.stead of keeping them and paying them higher than the employees that actually do do work and bust their ads to their jobs!!

They stole 6 years of my life and I want them back!

I worked at Novatel Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very few that I can think of. Despite the horrible atmosphere the bulk of the non-management employees are top notch. How this happens is beyond me. Standard benefit package is pretty decent.

Cons

The CEO and Executive Management team have delusions of adequacy. They are compulsive liars and the CEO quite literally acts like a child. How he keeps his job is truly beyond me. He's had 7 years to turn the company around but continues to drive it into the ground. He has managed to fill the Board with his cronies so there is zero oversight or accountability. He would have been fired years ago in a real company.

If you work for Novatel you can expect long hours with little recognition or reward. Annual bonuses are hit and miss and only two raises were given in the six years I worked there. Promotions are also few and far between and when you are actually lucky enough to get one, the most you can expect is a 3 or 4 percent increase. It's not uncommon to receive 0%...All the while the Executive team receives fat compensation, has lunch catered in EVERY day at the company's expense, and travel Business class while the company maintains its non-profitability status quarter after quarter.

Also don't expect the least amount of compassion when it comes time to be laid off. They are the worst I've seen at this. You won't receive even the least bit of compassion or humanity. They do multiple layoffs so that they can stay below the WARN act. They'll exit you and cut off your health benefits that same day. Not even so much as a week or month to get something else in place. Review your severance package carefully as it is typically rife with errors. The entire HR staff should be terminated.

Fire yourselves. Honestly, how much do you need? You've already screwed investors out of millions lining your own pockets and saving your collective butts from litigation. Do the right thing and leave now so that the remaining employees at least have a small shot of turning that place around with a real leadership team. You owe it to them.

I have been working at Novatel Wireless. "It is great but do not want to work here forever”

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Novatel Wireless full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of competent people at Novatel especially in Engineering and Operations
    Work with all the latest and greatest in technology.
     Co-workers are great to get along with. Most people are very helping.

Cons

Low salaries.
    Worried about company stability.
    Layoffs each year without any notice.
    Management is horrible on almost all levels.
    Anyone here below executive level has ZERO power in the company
    Lack of communication
    No Transparency

Transparency in groups

Awful Experience

Current Employee - Various  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Various in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Novatel Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you want to waste a few years of your life and career potential, please go ahead and join this company.
    All fairness, the balance of life here is OK.
    You enjoy all the amenity you should have with a high tech company.
    You got to learn some advanced stuff.
    You can loaf along easily.

Cons

No one cares about you from the management.
    Average promotion is longer than 5 years (roughly).
    No recognition.
    Business outlook is grim.
    CEO lies compulsively.

Fire yourself.

Worked for Novatel Wireless? Contribute to the Community!