Novatel Wireless

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Novatel Wireless Chairman and CEO Peter V. Leparulo

Peter V. Leparulo

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My experience at Novatel Wireless started as a wonderful opportunity that led to positive and life-changing events

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsNovatel Wireless is a large company with several hundred people, most of us in San Diego, CA. We have very talented individuals working in our engineering and test teams. Our customers are very satisfied with our deep commitment and persevering attention to detail as we have launched - and continue to launch - cutting edge wireless data (mobile broadband) products.

ConsNovatel Wireless is a publicly traded company. We are 'NVTL' on the NASDAQ. Quarterly earnings is detrimental to our R&D and planning because Wall Street always wants to know that we are going to be reaching new highs next quarter.

Advice to Senior ManagementNovatel Wireless is a high-tech team with some great players who have launched killer products, including MiFi. The team can be made even stronger with better leadership and communication. After improving internal communications, allocate more time to strategic marketing and more budget to competitive intelligence / market research. Wireless is a fast changing space and it takes extra effort to stay on top of the latest events and happenings.

Interactive and enjoyable

Software Engineer I (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGood gym, pool, spa and sport courts (IE: Tennis, Basketball, Ping Pong etc.).
    Good Work environment.
    Close to Food court.

ConsLots of 3rd party interaction.
    Low salaries.
    Worried about company stability.
    Difficult to obtain equipment needed for development.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease improve marketing. Right now I feel there needs to be more marketing (IE: PR). I also feel the name Novatel should be marketed and not just our main product.

It's a great entry level organization, but doesn't seem to have any internal promotion process.

Software Engineer I (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThere is a great balance of Work and Home Life here. My direct manager is fantastic and the team I'm on is also a great joy to work with. This makes morale very high which encourages positive work ethic and makes you want to come to work.

ConsThere is a lack of innovation at the company which is directly tied to the lack of incentives for such a thing. The Novatel stock is very volatile and makes for a poor investment which leads to even less incentive to innovate. This coupled with a poor promotion system is leading to lots of top talent vacating in search of better opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more incentive for innovation. An improved promotion system would help with this and would also help keep some of your best talent at Novatel. Expanding into new markets and improving our current position in our main market would help boost our stock and strengthen our company. This can be done best if your human resources are encouraged to innovate.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Things could be better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSmall, intimate team. Friendly co-workers. Get to work on many different areas of wireless technologies.

ConsLack of merit increases. Unpredictable project schedule. Depressed stock prices.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of employees

Great potential, terrible management.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt's a good place to work - people are friendly, good atmosphere.

ConsThe executive management team is incompetent and it trickles down to the rest of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to go.

I have been working at Novatel Wireless. "It is great but do not want to work here forever”

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThere are a lot of competent people at Novatel especially in Engineering and Operations
    Work with all the latest and greatest in technology.
     Co-workers are great to get along with. Most people are very helping.

ConsLow salaries.
    Worried about company stability.
    Layoffs each year without any notice.
    Management is horrible on almost all levels.
    Anyone here below executive level has ZERO power in the company
    Lack of communication
    No Transparency

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency in groups

Great atmosphere to work with bright people and a place you can call it your home.

Project Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFast paced work life with challenging projects available every year.
    Coworkers are your friends.
    Activities for everyone to participate for fun.
    Learning new technology in wireless industry.
    Great place to start your career.

ConsLayoffs each year without any notice.
    Future isn't always bright or visible.
    Do not have any product plans beyond 2 years.
    Not much advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage and create a program for employees to add renovations.
    Use Agile development method to create team oriented project development.

No accountablity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat people. Everyone is friendly and willing to help out if they can.

ConsPoor management with zero accountability which leads to too many shortcuts being taken. Management is busy playing politics and will defer making decisions instead of driving their teams towards completing goals that can benefit the company as a whole.

software engineer 2

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Good Work environment.
    Close to Food court.
    Work with all the latest and greatest in technology.
    Brilliant peers.

ConsLow salaries.
    Worried about company stability.
    Layoffs each year without any notice.
    Management is horrible on almost all levels.
    Anyone here below executive level has ZERO power in the company
    Lack of communication

Great workers, horrible executive leadership, not even respectable executive management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsReally smart, hard working employees, who hang in for each other. Between phones and laptops employees are working all the time to support the US during the day and the Asia CMs at night.

ConsNo raises for employees for several years, small bonuses and several layoffs. Yet the executive team has given themselves stock and raises. No strategic plan of any merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe lack of attention post the 65 million dollar Enfora purchase alone should have had several people self relieved of their positions. But that did that did not happen. Now, adding salt to the wound, the CEO has added a $60k raise to his pocket. GO! Before there is nothing left.

Worked for Novatel Wireless? Contribute to the Community!