Novatel Wireless

Peter V. Leparulo

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Things could be better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSmall, intimate team. Friendly co-workers. Get to work on many different areas of wireless technologies.

ConsLack of merit increases. Unpredictable project schedule. Depressed stock prices.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of employees

Great workers, horrible executive leadership, not even respectable executive management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsReally smart, hard working employees, who hang in for each other. Between phones and laptops employees are working all the time to support the US during the day and the Asia CMs at night.

ConsNo raises for employees for several years, small bonuses and several layoffs. Yet the executive team has given themselves stock and raises. No strategic plan of any merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe lack of attention post the 65 million dollar Enfora purchase alone should have had several people self relieved of their positions. But that did that did not happen. Now, adding salt to the wound, the CEO has added a $60k raise to his pocket. GO! Before there is nothing left.

Great potential, terrible management.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt's a good place to work - people are friendly, good atmosphere.

ConsThe executive management team is incompetent and it trickles down to the rest of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to go.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful Experience

Various (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIf you want to waste a few years of your life and career potential, please go ahead and join this company.
    All fairness, the balance of life here is OK.
    You enjoy all the amenity you should have with a high tech company.
    You got to learn some advanced stuff.
    You can loaf along easily.

ConsNo one cares about you from the management.
    Average promotion is longer than 5 years (roughly).
    No recognition.
    Business outlook is grim.
    CEO lies compulsively.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself.

Experience at Novatel Wireless

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsLocation of office, company products

ConsManagement, executives. They all need to go and give way to real leaders

Advice to Senior ManagementFor sake of company, leave. It's enough already. You have taken the company down to dirt level. Let some competent people take over and thrive the company.

In the end you get 10 minutes to pack your things and get walked out the door

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe people who do the work are awesome. Even under rapidly degrading work conditions and company outlook, those who are left continue to row the boat knowing there's no light at the end of the tunnel, and certainly no financial reward. Pretty good benefits (health/dental, vision insurance, 401K with 4% match). Oh, and there are 2 vitamix's in the kitchens so you can make smoothies. These were provided by the insurance company, as part of a new wellness program.

ConsWhere do I start? Long hours, stressful conditions, a lot of pressure... yet only 2 raises in nearly 8 years, and one was a minimal cost of living increase. Yet the executive team has lunch delivered every day, and huge bonuses and salaries (this is public information). The stock performance is laughable. The executive team has been in place for years and is driving the company into the ground...and somehow the board allows this team to stay in place! Company does not allow "work from home". Very interesting, given that their main products provide wireless connectivity. Hmmmm. What does that tell you? When layoffs come (3 in 13 months, by the way)...you will have no warning, and only 10 minutes to pack what you can. You'll be walked out the door and will need to make arrangements to come back another day for your belongings. Your insurance benefits will expire at the end of the month they let you go, and you'll no doubt encounter problems trying to continue your cell phone coverage, sell your stock, etc. None of it will be easy. The worst of all things is that upper management doesn't view the employees as people...there's no true recognition or appreciation for people's efforts, or for our financial well being, as is evidenced by the chastising handed out by senior management because employees were selling their ESPP shares too quickly to supplement income (since we had no raises). Oh, by the way, ESPP program was cancelled twice due to running out of shares because the price plummeted due to sustained poor company financial performance. Look it up, it's all public information. This is a great place to work if you have no job...and need one desperately. Don't worry, your paycheck won't bounce. Yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt minimum, exec team should give up their money until they can reward those who are really doing the work. Read all the bad reviews, and act upon them.

I have been working at Novatel Wireless. "It is great but do not want to work here forever”

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThere are a lot of competent people at Novatel especially in Engineering and Operations
    Work with all the latest and greatest in technology.
     Co-workers are great to get along with. Most people are very helping.

ConsLow salaries.
    Worried about company stability.
    Layoffs each year without any notice.
    Management is horrible on almost all levels.
    Anyone here below executive level has ZERO power in the company
    Lack of communication
    No Transparency

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency in groups

NVTL is circling the drain and senior management is to blame.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros1. Great people to work with. For the most part are always upbeat despite the chaos.
    2. Free coffee

Cons1. Executive management is completely lost. Hiring and firing people trying to anticipate the market and in doing so, has completely lost direction.
    2. Smart, innovative hard working people are laid off while the real problem, management, remains.
    3. The org chart looks like an inverted pyramid. Too many directors and VP's making decisions and not enough people working for them to execute. Results in rushed programs and a near constant state of emergency.
    4. Employees have not seen a raise in the last 3 years, while 5 executives have receive bonuses that total more than most employees annual salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike a sports franchise, NVTL is in dire need of a rebuild from the top down. Poor management and leadership has cost over 100 employees in the UK, Canada and Texas their jobs and caused the closing of the UK and Canadian offices completely. Without change at the top it won't be long before the San Diego offices closes their doors as well.

No accountablity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat people. Everyone is friendly and willing to help out if they can.

ConsPoor management with zero accountability which leads to too many shortcuts being taken. Management is busy playing politics and will defer making decisions instead of driving their teams towards completing goals that can benefit the company as a whole.

software engineer 2

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGood gym, pool, spa and sport courts (IE: Tennis, Basketball, Ping Pong etc.).
    Good Work environment.
    Close to Food court.
    Work with all the latest and greatest in technology.
    Brilliant peers.

ConsLow salaries.
    Worried about company stability.
    Layoffs each year without any notice.
    Management is horrible on almost all levels.
    Anyone here below executive level has ZERO power in the company
    Lack of communication

Worked for Novatel Wireless? Contribute to the Community!