Novelis

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Culture

Management (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGlobal opportunities and the chance to work with people from several different regions of the world. The total package for salary and benefits is very competitive with top companies in the great place to work category

ConsThe lack of maturity from management can be noticed by some initiatives where the good intent is shadow by poor execution. It is a challenge to deal with cinism from the old Novelis a nostalgia for a time that will not come back, but it is a clear fear of change

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider better Chang management, there is a lot of good talent the just need the right guidance to engage

Great potential, terrible mgmt, ineffective HR

supply chain mgr (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsOpportunities abound with the growing focus on automotive
    Market outlook is positive if they knew hot to treat customers

ConsPoor communication
    No accountability for the mills
    Low morale
    Poor management of customer expectation

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to middle management as your top execs are clueless

Novelis review

Atlanta, GA

ProsNovelis is a dynamic company in an industry that is about to change radically with the lightweighting of vehicles (see Ford F-150 as an example) occuring now on a global scale. In addition, the company has done a great job positioning itself as the unsurpassed global leader in recycling; something that makes all of our employees very proud. Additionally, we have really great people. In my professional career, I've never met and worked with so many people in our HQ, Region Offices and Plants that I am proud to call my friends.

I think the future at Novelis is very promising and dynamic. We are about to enter a significan growth phase and it's going to be exciting to be a part of it.

ConsSo many things have changed during my tenure at Novelis. In order to successful, you need to embrace change or you will struggle here. There may have been times in the last few years when we could've acted a little more prudently and slowed down a bit on a few initiatives. However, the core strategy is solid and we are taking corrective actions to fix some of our missteps. I think this is a sign of a pretty healthy company with a good sense of self-awareness.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue engaging and seeking input from the people on the front lines who are executing on our strategy. I'd like to see more of our strategic initiatives have plant-based employees on the steering committees. This will help us gain more insights into the real challenges they face plus help us build buy in for the change initiatives underway.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate HQ Employee

Atlanta, GA

ProsI've worked at the North American HQ for a year in a senior procurement role. I've enjoyed my time here so far and don't have many complaints. Although a well established global company there are exciting things going on currently. Growth is looking up as are profits. I'm compensated well (both salary and bonus). Benefits are better than most other large cap companies in Atlanta (wife works for a larger, well known company and is on my insurance).

ConsNone so far. I'm really like working here.

A case study in Corporate Greed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsCreating an environment rich in opportunity to conduct a Harvard case study in how to destroy employee trust, loyalty and eventually productivity.
    Financial results illustrate how to drive results through eliminating retiree benefits, with the impact serving as a direct reward to Senior Leadership in the form of amended Long Term incentive bonuses.

ConsCentralized management structure destroying cultural value.
    Leadership team unable and unwilling to bring balance to dictatorial management process driven by Mr. Martens.
    Lack of integrity characterized by misleading and incorrect statements made regarding the elimination of retiree health care.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to and take meaningful action in response to the message driven home by the Oswego employees.

Novelis Corporate Office

Tech Representative (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsDecent pay and good benefits.

ConsNovelis intentionality gives bad titles in order to keep the turn over rate in sales/commercial low. Inside Sales Reps were demoted to Customer Service Reps in order to keep sales from leaving the company and getting better jobs. Novelis has time and time again hired people from outside the company for management jobs while over looking great candidates. Bonuses were cut, but still given to upper management. Company raises are generally between 2-4%. Only upper management has offices while everyone else sits in desks that allow everyone walking by to see your computer. They call it Novelis "1". Meaning, we're all the same, but it's to spy on you and see if you're surfing the web or working.

Proceed with extreme caution....

Accounting and Finance Employee In HQ (Former Employee)

ProsGood Salary and Benefits
    Great Offices
    Great Holiday Parties
    Challenging Work
    Smart Co-Workers

ConsManagement team that is solely focused on themselves and not on the development of the team under them.

Unfair performance reviews - would wait until the annual review to tell you much you suck and give you a crappy performance rating.

Overlooked for positions in favor of management hiring their friends from their previous companies

Career Advancement seemed to only happen for Directors and above, or the personal friends of a certain crowd.

High Turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementI left Novelis a while back but I would say to focus on developing the current team. Stop assuming that someone else can do a better job, chances are they can't!!! Not only will the employee you screwed over leave, the person you hired will see what's going on and leave as well.

Unfortunately, I hear not much has changed over there since I've left.

Once a great company, now a joke

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsPays well and benefits are above average.

ConsMatrix structure is a mess. Global IT is making decisions with blinders on.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink Matrix organization, and take the reviews on this site seriously. If you knew how many people were sick of how things are and how many were looking for new jobs you would be shocked.

Disorganized, lack of upper management leadership

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsOpportunity for advancement within company

Consconsultants have too much power & decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of consultants and hire capable employees who care about their work & company progress.. Outsourcing is not the best solution to everything.

Not a good employer

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsSome good workers who are dedicated and work hard

ConsNot employee oriented. Cancelled bonuses for many employees while Executives got millions in stock options. Now they discontinuing medical for retires. Made a terrible decision about implementing SAP too early which cost the company 100+ million. Employees were working 12 hours a day to handle the mess. HR represents the management but not the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA...... They don't care anyway

Worked for Novelis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Novelis reviews and ratings in Atlanta, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Novelis CEO Phil Martens. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Novelis employees.