Novelis

Novelis Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Novelis President & CEO Phil Martens

Phil Martens

Pros:
  • "Still a decent hourly wage, good people to work with on the shop floor"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great Co Workers in the Regions"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management is systematically destroying the company"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Upper management struggles to come to grip with how to manage people"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not the company it used to be....

ProsGreat co-workers
Concern for the community

Consstuck in your pay scale which isn't equal to responsibilities - exceed goals and you might get a 3% increase, if you're lucky - and don't get used to that bonus as management will find a way to get around paying it out
high deductible insurance
corporate management only concerned for themselves and not the people

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees do not like the change in direction management is taking the company - without the employees, you wouldn't have a company. Show your concern and appreciation for them and the company will be more successful than you can ever imagine. Continue with your own personal agenda and the company will continue to decline.

Not Entitled Retiree

Quality Control (Former Employee)

I worked at Novelis full-time for more than 10 years

Prosco-workers and local supervisors and community

ConsWatching the company heading in a downward spiral

Advice to Senior ManagementHealth insurance for retirees and employees is not an "entitlement" it is a benefit for giving the company a service of work and getting the best employees. Management needs to identify the solutions for employee discontent. Create an advisory board of employees and management to discuss issues that are beneficial for both parties. Management has created a hostile work environment where the division is us against them and neither party will win. There is much room for improvement to once again become a really great place to work.

It's time to unite !

Production (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStill a decent hourly wage, good people to work with on the shop floor.

ConsAweful health plan - high deductible health plan with also inscreasing our monthly premium costs. No more health care for retirees, 300 plus million dollar addition to Oswego and pinching every penny out of the employees pockets, can't trust any of the management teams.

Advice to Senior Managementsupport your production teams and quite worrying about your personal growth,, without them you will not have to worry about maintaining customers.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people to work with but a no so great cooperate climate

Materials Science Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than a year

ProsEveryone has a great attitude to work with inside their own departments, the pay is reasonably good, and the work environment is very safety oriented.

ConsWorking inter-departmentally is a chore, the attitude towards cooperate leadership at the plant level is that they do not know what they're doing and are very wasteful, and at the smaller plants there is much tighter budgets and these plants are treated much more like pilot plants than production operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about being so prim and proper all the time if results are rolling in positively and to make an effort to show your employees that they do matter.

Proceed with extreme caution....

Accounting and Finance Employee In HQ (Former Employee)

I worked at Novelis full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Salary and Benefits
Great Offices
Great Holiday Parties
Challenging Work
Smart Co-Workers

ConsManagement team that is solely focused on themselves and not on the development of the team under them.

Unfair performance reviews - would wait until the annual review to tell you much you suck and give you a crappy performance rating.

Overlooked for positions in favor of management hiring their friends from their previous companies

Career Advancement seemed to only happen for Directors and above, or the personal friends of a certain crowd.

High Turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementI left Novelis a while back but I would say to focus on developing the current team. Stop assuming that someone else can do a better job, chances are they can't!!! Not only will the employee you screwed over leave, the person you hired will see what's going on and leave as well.

Unfortunately, I hear not much has changed over there since I've left.

As Novelis it has only gone down hill, as Alcan it was a good place to work.

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt is a job, if you don't have one.

ConsThey are sneaky and they lie. At this point and time it seems their main focus is to take way as mush as they can from us and then line their pockets.

Advice to Senior ManagementPack up your bags and go destroy another company.

Novelis Corporate Office

Tech Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent pay and good benefits.

ConsNovelis intentionality gives bad titles in order to keep the turn over rate in sales/commercial low. Inside Sales Reps were demoted to Customer Service Reps in order to keep sales from leaving the company and getting better jobs. Novelis has time and time again hired people from outside the company for management jobs while over looking great candidates. Bonuses were cut, but still given to upper management. Company raises are generally between 2-4%. Only upper management has offices while everyone else sits in desks that allow everyone walking by to see your computer. They call it Novelis "1". Meaning, we're all the same, but it's to spy on you and see if you're surfing the web or working.

Changing for the WORSE

Flooron (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFellow employees are great. Now more than ever the workers are united.

ConsManagement up through the ceo Phil Martens is a joke and HR should not be a department with paid employees since we all must dial an 866 number to get anything accomplished. Loss of income, benefits that are a joke, threats of loss of current work schedule, and leaders that think they are a far better class than those that work hard to ensure that they even have a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people that work for you and provide you with your income are completely fed up with the direction this company is headed. Stop demanding more while making our benefits, income, and work environment worse. Whomever is making these decisions must only have a business mind and not understand human nature. You can only beat people for so long until they unite and fight back.

Novelis Oswego was a great place to work.

Maintenance (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFellow employees are great. Great quality craftsmen as well as skilled process and machine operators. Fair compensation and

ConsUpper management struggles to come to grip with how to manage people. With the newly announced policy changes with vacation, pay as well as the safety absolutes employees are actively seeking union representation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as well as you do your customers. Without them you have no customers.

Once a great company, now a joke

IT Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPays well and benefits are above average.

ConsMatrix structure is a mess. Global IT is making decisions with blinders on.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink Matrix organization, and take the reviews on this site seriously. If you knew how many people were sick of how things are and how many were looking for new jobs you would be shocked.

Worked for Novelis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Novelis reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Novelis CEO Phil Martens. All 73 reviews posted anonymously by Novelis employees.