Novelis

Novelis Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2014

Novelis President & CEO Phil Martens

Phil Martens

Pros
  • Still a decent hourly wage, good people to work with on the shop floor(in 7 reviews)

• Additionally, we have really great people(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is systematically destroying the company(in 5 reviews)

• Upper management struggles to come to grip with how to manage people(in 4 reviews)

Novelis review

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsNovelis is a dynamic company in an industry that is about to change radically with the lightweighting of vehicles (see Ford F-150 as an example) occuring now on a global scale. In addition, the company has done a great job positioning itself as the unsurpassed global leader in recycling; something that makes all of our employees very proud. Additionally, we have really great people. In my professional career, I've never met and worked with so many people in our HQ, Region Offices and Plants that I am proud to call my friends.

I think the future at Novelis is very promising and dynamic. We are about to enter a significan growth phase and it's going to be exciting to be a part of it.

ConsSo many things have changed during my tenure at Novelis. In order to successful, you need to embrace change or you will struggle here. There may have been times in the last few years when we could've acted a little more prudently and slowed down a bit on a few initiatives. However, the core strategy is solid and we are taking corrective actions to fix some of our missteps. I think this is a sign of a pretty healthy company with a good sense of self-awareness.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue engaging and seeking input from the people on the front lines who are executing on our strategy. I'd like to see more of our strategic initiatives have plant-based employees on the steering committees. This will help us gain more insights into the real challenges they face plus help us build buy in for the change initiatives underway.

Harassment and hostile work environment overlooked and condoned

Mill Operator (Current Employee) Fairmont, WV

ProsThe only thing going for this company is a decent wage for our area. Benefits are being chiseled away with every passing contract.

ConsHarassment and hostile work environment is not only present but condoned. Management and HR allow such behavior to keep employees in check. This is not only a practice of local management but of corporate also. The code of conduct that Novelis has is nothing more than a pretty wrapper.I myself have delt with a hostile work environment for 10 years with the perpetrators being basically given a pat on the back.FMLA is frowned upon even when your wife is fighting breast cancer.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying and do the right thing. We are humane beings with lives anf families.Loyalty and respect go both ways.

Novelis Employer Representative responded to this review

Jun 23, 2014

Thank you for sharing this feedback. Novelis is committed to a workplace free from harassment or hostility. Providing a safe work environment for our employees is extremely important to us. That’s ... More

Great potential, terrible mgmt, ineffective HR

supply chain mgr (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsOpportunities abound with the growing focus on automotive
    Market outlook is positive if they knew hot to treat customers

ConsPoor communication
    No accountability for the mills
    Low morale
    Poor management of customer expectation

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to middle management as your top execs are clueless

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Culture

Management (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGlobal opportunities and the chance to work with people from several different regions of the world. The total package for salary and benefits is very competitive with top companies in the great place to work category

ConsThe lack of maturity from management can be noticed by some initiatives where the good intent is shadow by poor execution. It is a challenge to deal with cinism from the old Novelis a nostalgia for a time that will not come back, but it is a clear fear of change

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider better Chang management, there is a lot of good talent the just need the right guidance to engage

Corporate HQ Employee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI've worked at the North American HQ for a year in a senior procurement role. I've enjoyed my time here so far and don't have many complaints. Although a well established global company there are exciting things going on currently. Growth is looking up as are profits. I'm compensated well (both salary and bonus). Benefits are better than most other large cap companies in Atlanta (wife works for a larger, well known company and is on my insurance).

ConsNone so far. I'm really like working here.

Good company, but not what it used to be

Mid Level Salaried Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat products and quality. Dedicated people at plants and at lower levels. Great benefits. Pay is above average. Developing new markets which will help them in the future.

ConsLot of pressure on everyone due to many expansion projects. Lot of people working long hours. Cutting back on some benefits recently. Recent ERP implementation was difficult to manage through.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication to the workforce. Define goals and objectives clearer. Hire more people in key areas so some people don't have to work 60 hours a week.

Great Company to be a part of!

Operator (Current Employee) Oswego, NY

ProsGreat people, environment, and future outlook.

ConsSometimes can be short staffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Decent place to work.

Operator (Current Employee) Oswego, NY

ProsGood people and competitive wages. opportunities to advance. Very concerned about employee safety.

ConsThe once good benefits that were in place have now been stripped to a less than idea package. Communication between management and floor staff is minimal. Employees are at the mercy of senior management when it comes to pay and benefits and are not consulted in the least been when changes are being made.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to build the trust of their employees back and show that we're more than just a body that can be replaced.

Lack in communication

ProsGood company for the area

ConsLack in communication. Human Resources dept doesn't care to answer employees questions or help them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to talk with your employees, tell them what is going on.

Overall Good Company

CI Specialist (Current Employee) Oswego, NY

ProsGood salary and training as well as bonuses. Recent events caused management and corporate to finally listen to the employees.

ConsThough communication is still not the greatest from employee to manager. Promote employee safety very highly at work but in the winter they force you to take a vacation day if the weather is so bad that the area is under a state of emergency and you are unable to drive in.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to concerns of employees no matter how small to avoid aggravation and annoyance

Worked for Novelis? Contribute to the Community!