Novelis Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

2.4

Novelis President & CEO Phil Martens
Phil Martens

Pros
  • Still a decent hourly wage, good people to work with on the shop floor (in 7 reviews)

• Additionally, we have really great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is systematically destroying the company (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management struggles to come to grip with how to manage people (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Stuck between a rock & a hard place.... in my career

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall friendly-outgoing, great, smart co-workers
    Good benefits
    Gives back to the community
    Global-International Company

Cons

Must be a 'chosen-one' for opportunites, once your in the door
    See co-workers get opportunities with less experience & tenure, just because of who you know
    See executives receive huge cash incentives, Novelis says they are a '1 Novelis' culture
    Rules are not the same for all

Management needs to really look at whose actually doing the work and give credit where it's due
    Be honest

Good experience, Terrible Communication, Management does not care about anything besides the bottom line ($$$$$$)

Former Employee - Continuous Improvement  in  Oswego, NY
    Former Employee - Continuous Improvement in Oswego, NY

I worked at Novelis full-time for less than a year

Pros

Non--management Coworkers were all very helpful. Compensation was good, medical benefits were good.

Cons

Management did not communicate well at all. Every department seemed to be its own business, very limited inter-department communication. Management asks you to do things you have not been trained on and then reprimand you for asking for help.

Listen to employees, education does not mean experience, training is a necessary for employees to do their job and meet expectations.

Aug 8, 2014

Thank you for providing this feedback to us. Communication and training are both extremely important to us at Novelis. That’s why our Novelis Oswego plant hosts weekly Plant Manager Roundtables with ... More

Heading in wrong direction

Current Employee - DC Operator  in  Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - DC Operator in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay, good co-workers,

Cons

No strategy for temps being converted to fulltime employees; can not trust management, poor communication, plant fighting between itself: Union vs Non Union has reduced teamwork and trust in the plant. Two people killed in less than three years and no discussions about it; like it never happened.

Need new local leadership in Oswego

Aug 21, 2014

We appreciate you sharing this feedback. All temporary employees at Novelis have the opportunity to apply for regular full-time positions, many of whom have applied and successfully been hired ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Novelis review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Novelis is a dynamic company in an industry that is about to change radically with the lightweighting of vehicles (see Ford F-150 as an example) occuring now on a global scale. In addition, the company has done a great job positioning itself as the unsurpassed global leader in recycling; something that makes all of our employees very proud. Additionally, we have really great people. In my professional career, I've never met and worked with so many people in our HQ, Region Offices and Plants that I am proud to call my friends.

I think the future at Novelis is very promising and dynamic. We are about to enter a significan growth phase and it's going to be exciting to be a part of it.

Cons

So many things have changed during my tenure at Novelis. In order to successful, you need to embrace change or you will struggle here. There may have been times in the last few years when we could've acted a little more prudently and slowed down a bit on a few initiatives. However, the core strategy is solid and we are taking corrective actions to fix some of our missteps. I think this is a sign of a pretty healthy company with a good sense of self-awareness.

Continue engaging and seeking input from the people on the front lines who are executing on our strategy. I'd like to see more of our strategic initiatives have plant-based employees on the steering committees. This will help us gain more insights into the real challenges they face plus help us build buy in for the change initiatives underway.

Harassment and hostile work environment overlooked and condoned

Current Employee - Mill Operator  in  Fairmont, WV
    Current Employee - Mill Operator in Fairmont, WV

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The only thing going for this company is a decent wage for our area. Benefits are being chiseled away with every passing contract.

Cons

Harassment and hostile work environment is not only present but condoned. Management and HR allow such behavior to keep employees in check. This is not only a practice of local management but of corporate also. The code of conduct that Novelis has is nothing more than a pretty wrapper.I myself have delt with a hostile work environment for 10 years with the perpetrators being basically given a pat on the back.FMLA is frowned upon even when your wife is fighting breast cancer.

Stop lying and do the right thing. We are humane beings with lives anf families.Loyalty and respect go both ways.

Jun 23, 2014

Thank you for sharing this feedback. Novelis is committed to a workplace free from harassment or hostility. Providing a safe work environment for our employees is extremely important to us. That’s ... More

Great potential, terrible mgmt, ineffective HR

Current Employee - supply chain mgr  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - supply chain mgr in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities abound with the growing focus on automotive
    Market outlook is positive if they knew hot to treat customers

Cons

Poor communication
    No accountability for the mills
    Low morale
    Poor management of customer expectation

Start listening to middle management as your top execs are clueless

Great Culture

Current Employee - Management  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Global opportunities and the chance to work with people from several different regions of the world. The total package for salary and benefits is very competitive with top companies in the great place to work category

Cons

The lack of maturity from management can be noticed by some initiatives where the good intent is shadow by poor execution. It is a challenge to deal with cinism from the old Novelis a nostalgia for a time that will not come back, but it is a clear fear of change

Consider better Chang management, there is a lot of good talent the just need the right guidance to engage

Corporate HQ Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked at the North American HQ for a year in a senior procurement role. I've enjoyed my time here so far and don't have many complaints. Although a well established global company there are exciting things going on currently. Growth is looking up as are profits. I'm compensated well (both salary and bonus). Benefits are better than most other large cap companies in Atlanta (wife works for a larger, well known company and is on my insurance).

Cons

None so far. I'm really like working here.

Good company, but not what it used to be

Former Employee - Mid Level Salaried Employee
    Former Employee - Mid Level Salaried Employee

I worked at Novelis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great products and quality. Dedicated people at plants and at lower levels. Great benefits. Pay is above average. Developing new markets which will help them in the future.

Cons

Lot of pressure on everyone due to many expansion projects. Lot of people working long hours. Cutting back on some benefits recently. Recent ERP implementation was difficult to manage through.

Better communication to the workforce. Define goals and objectives clearer. Hire more people in key areas so some people don't have to work 60 hours a week.

Great Company to be a part of!

Current Employee - Operator  in  Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - Operator in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, environment, and future outlook.

Cons

Sometimes can be short staffed.

Keep up the good work!

Worked for Novelis? Contribute to the Community!