Novelis

Updated November 23, 2014
2.2

Novelis President & CEO Phil Martens
Phil Martens

Pros
  • Still a decent hourly wage, good people to work with on the shop floor (in 9 reviews)

• Additionally, we have really great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management refuses to listen to the individuals that know the business (in 6 reviews)

• Senior management is systematically destroying the company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Corporate HQ Employee

I have been working at Novelis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've worked at the North American HQ for a year in a senior procurement role. I've enjoyed my time here so far and don't have many complaints. Although a well established global company there are exciting things going on currently. Growth is looking up as are profits. I'm compensated well (both salary and bonus). Benefits are better than most other large cap companies in Atlanta (wife works for a larger, well known company and is on my insurance).

Cons

None so far. I'm really like working here.

Rapidly growing company for career minded individuals.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Novelis as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Rapidly becoming world leader in flat rolled aluminum products. Leading the industry in technological innovation to expand into new markets and improving market share in existing areas.

Cons

Rapid expansion has growing pains, but benefits far outweigh any negative impacts.

Continue to hire and develop future leaders of the company. Educate existing employees across all business segments on the path for success.

Good Place to Work - Excellent Benefits

Current Employee - Mid Level Salaried Employee in Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - Mid Level Salaried Employee in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Novelis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic Benefits including pay, medical etc, other compensation is excellent as well (bonuses etc); Great group of people - friendly, welcoming, down to earth; breaking through to completely new industry ideas - innovation in market, on site management is good, opportunities for movement and advancement very good; education reimbursement and job training offered, relaxed atmosphere (usually) and very proud employees make this place shine.
    I like my job tasks (for the most part), but the reason I will stay is because the people who work here are generally just great people, and anyone who's ever worked with the opposite knows - it makes ALL the difference.

Cons

Corporate culture is unfortunately reaching a plant that typically was not influenced as much - but with a move into the spotlight and such big plans in the future, I feel this was bound to happen. There have been cuts to some of the benefits that those who worked at Novelis for many years had grown accustomed to, however, what is currently offered is still on target or much better than average offerings locally.

On site management - try to shield your people from the control of Atlanta!
    Atlanta management - trust the employees of Oswego; they have been successful for many years and will do whatever is asked if you just give the a chance.

Great place to work. Great people. The culture in Oswego is very good.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Novelis full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people. Growing quickly. Investing in expansion.

Cons

Corporate increasing control a little frustrating.

Trust the people to lead

Good Experience

I have been working at Novelis

Pros

Friendly working environment. Lots training opportunities. Experienced senior people.

Cons

Like almost all heavy industry companies, not well balanced men/women ratio.

Novelis review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Novelis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Novelis is a dynamic company in an industry that is about to change radically with the lightweighting of vehicles (see Ford F-150 as an example) occuring now on a global scale. In addition, the company has done a great job positioning itself as the unsurpassed global leader in recycling; something that makes all of our employees very proud. Additionally, we have really great people. In my professional career, I've never met and worked with so many people in our HQ, Region Offices and Plants that I am proud to call my friends.

I think the future at Novelis is very promising and dynamic. We are about to enter a significan growth phase and it's going to be exciting to be a part of it.

Cons

So many things have changed during my tenure at Novelis. In order to successful, you need to embrace change or you will struggle here. There may have been times in the last few years when we could've acted a little more prudently and slowed down a bit on a few initiatives. However, the core strategy is solid and we are taking corrective actions to fix some of our missteps. I think this is a sign of a pretty healthy company with a good sense of self-awareness.

Continue engaging and seeking input from the people on the front lines who are executing on our strategy. I'd like to see more of our strategic initiatives have plant-based employees on the steering committees. This will help us gain more insights into the real challenges they face plus help us build buy in for the change initiatives underway.

Great Culture

Current Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Novelis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Global opportunities and the chance to work with people from several different regions of the world. The total package for salary and benefits is very competitive with top companies in the great place to work category

Cons

The lack of maturity from management can be noticed by some initiatives where the good intent is shadow by poor execution. It is a challenge to deal with cinism from the old Novelis a nostalgia for a time that will not come back, but it is a clear fear of change

Consider better Chang management, there is a lot of good talent the just need the right guidance to engage

A company being constructed, new x old stiles.

Former Employee - Management in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Management in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Novelis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It’s a wonderful flat-rolled aluminum company with great focus on beverage cans recycling. I’ve learned a lot there as soon as I’ve collaborated to its recycling business scrap purchase development.

Cons

One thing is the speech the other is the way business is run. The culture has a mixture of government practices (lazy) and some people trying to be oriented to results, not to themselves.

Pay attention to the area and the leader personality.

Great Company to be a part of!

Current Employee - Operator in Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - Operator in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Novelis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, environment, and future outlook.

Cons

Sometimes can be short staffed.

Keep up the good work!

Overall Good Company

Current Employee - CI Specialist in Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - CI Specialist in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Novelis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good salary and training as well as bonuses. Recent events caused management and corporate to finally listen to the employees.

Cons

Though communication is still not the greatest from employee to manager. Promote employee safety very highly at work but in the winter they force you to take a vacation day if the weather is so bad that the area is under a state of emergency and you are unable to drive in.

Listen to concerns of employees no matter how small to avoid aggravation and annoyance

Novelis Photos