Novelis Reviews

Updated April 3, 2015
102 reviews filtered by

Sad to see what Novelis has become

I worked at Novelis (more than 10 years)

Pros

Still have good manufacturing assets and some good people.

Cons

The culture of this company has become toxic. Many talented people are leaving and they seem oblivious to the fact that they have a problem. Many senior managers are incompetent and treat people terribly. HR is a joke. Cutting retiree benefits so many people that have put in 30-40 years now have to deal with health premiums 3-4 times higher than what they had. After many years of dedicated service I was treated terribly. Absolutely 0 loyalty anymore. Customers see this change for the worse and wonder what is going on. But it only gets worse.

Advice to Management

Instead of bringing in everyone from the outside that have "the proper background"' but know absolutely nothing about the business, start utilizing the people already there who are being stifled in their attempts to get promoted. HR have no regard for the employees, they just tow the company line. Root out some of the upper managers that think they are the smartest people in any room, but alienate and demotivated their employees.

One of the least rewarding experiences

I have been working at Novelis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a reasonable job and due to immense work load, you get to learn a lot of aspects
    Global exposure for some position in the organization
    Reasonable medical benefits and average compensation package

Cons

There is no career growth in the organization in general and especially on the technical side. Unlike what is promoted in the organization on "technical career track", that is simply not true. People are not given opportunities and there is no investment in career track. Even when communicated to management or trying to take things in own hand, no further actions are taken. there is a lot of "promotion" without tangible measurable actions on being invested in careers of others.
    The pay is reasonable but on average a lot of people are overworked and under paid compared to other organizations
    Be very careful of what you step into. Lots of promises were made to new hires which ended up being completely broken and job descriptions changed.
    The general feel in the plants is that the move is to the wrong direction and the changes for improvement are minimal across various locations. There are plenty of people who left due to current environment only to replaced by new inexperienced hires.
    I would be extremely careful of joining such a place given the "consumable people" culture where people are easily replaceable and not well respected. Please be careful of other reviews here which is clearly written by corporate communication, which can be spotted easily based on style and language used which aim to improve image here. Have a thorough read through the reviews over the past two years and build your own judgement

Advice to Management

I would recommend investment in people further both in the commercial and technical organization to avoid high current turn over.

Oct 20, 2014

We always appreciate hearing feedback on better ways we can assist our employees. Career development is important to us at Novelis, and many of our employees have established lifelong careers with ... More

Don't do it!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Novelis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Free soda and snacks in the break rooms.

Cons

Novelis is worried about their turnover rate so they give you a high salary with a bad title to essentially "trap" you and keep you locked in place from ever leaving the company and getting a better job elsewhere. If you didn't go to a tier 1 university forget about ever getting promoted unless you're good friends with middle and upper management. Also, get use to 2-3% raises every year. You will also spend half your day in meetings.

Advice to Management

Stop having so many pointless meetings.

Not impressed

Current Employee - Project Leader in Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - Project Leader in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Novelis full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people for the most part.

Cons

Major disconnect between management. Unethical raise system.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the people. To much high and mighty attitude.

Stuck between a rock & a hard place.... in my career

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Novelis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall friendly-outgoing, great, smart co-workers
    Good benefits
    Gives back to the community
    Global-International Company

Cons

Must be a 'chosen-one' for opportunites, once your in the door
    See co-workers get opportunities with less experience & tenure, just because of who you know
    See executives receive huge cash incentives, Novelis says they are a '1 Novelis' culture
    Rules are not the same for all

Advice to Management

Management needs to really look at whose actually doing the work and give credit where it's due
    Be honest

Heading in wrong direction

Current Employee - DC Operator in Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - DC Operator in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Novelis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good co-workers,

Cons

No strategy for temps being converted to fulltime employees; can not trust management, poor communication, plant fighting between itself: Union vs Non Union has reduced teamwork and trust in the plant. Two people killed in less than three years and no discussions about it; like it never happened.

Advice to Management

Need new local leadership in Oswego

Aug 21, 2014

We appreciate you sharing this feedback. All temporary employees at Novelis have the opportunity to apply for regular full-time positions, many of whom have applied and successfully been hired ... More

No central communication

Former Employee - Communications in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Communications in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Novelis full-time (less than a year)

Pros

snacks on tuesdays and thursdays

Cons

leadership is all over the place

Advice to Management

centralize and bring your workers together

The individual manufacturing plants are the core business, let them share their knowledge

I worked at Novelis

Pros

Good pay, good work/life balance & telecommute when needed

Cons

Upper management refuses to listen to the individuals that know the business. The "C" level management team manages towards a timeline without considering the financial, production and most importantly morale impacts.
    The attrition rate is consistently above 50% which means large projects continue to falter creating a slippery slope for the above mentioned issue.

Advice to Management

The P&L, production volume and attrition rate speak for themselves.
    New facilities will not solve your issues; only attempt to mask the real source of the problems.

Good experience, Terrible Communication, Management does not care about anything besides the bottom line ($$$$$$)

Former Employee - Continuous Improvement in Oswego, NY
    Former Employee - Continuous Improvement in Oswego, NY

I worked at Novelis full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Non--management Coworkers were all very helpful. Compensation was good, medical benefits were good.

Cons

Management did not communicate well at all. Every department seemed to be its own business, very limited inter-department communication. Management asks you to do things you have not been trained on and then reprimand you for asking for help.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, education does not mean experience, training is a necessary for employees to do their job and meet expectations.

Aug 8, 2014

Thank you for providing this feedback to us. Communication and training are both extremely important to us at Novelis. That’s why our Novelis Oswego plant hosts weekly Plant Manager Roundtables with ... More

Novelis review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Novelis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Novelis is a dynamic company in an industry that is about to change radically with the lightweighting of vehicles (see Ford F-150 as an example) occuring now on a global scale. In addition, the company has done a great job positioning itself as the unsurpassed global leader in recycling; something that makes all of our employees very proud. Additionally, we have really great people. In my professional career, I've never met and worked with so many people in our HQ, Region Offices and Plants that I am proud to call my friends.

I think the future at Novelis is very promising and dynamic. We are about to enter a significan growth phase and it's going to be exciting to be a part of it.

Cons

So many things have changed during my tenure at Novelis. In order to successful, you need to embrace change or you will struggle here. There may have been times in the last few years when we could've acted a little more prudently and slowed down a bit on a few initiatives. However, the core strategy is solid and we are taking corrective actions to fix some of our missteps. I think this is a sign of a pretty healthy company with a good sense of self-awareness.

Advice to Management

Continue engaging and seeking input from the people on the front lines who are executing on our strategy. I'd like to see more of our strategic initiatives have plant-based employees on the steering committees. This will help us gain more insights into the real challenges they face plus help us build buy in for the change initiatives underway.

Novelis Photos