Novell

www.novell.com

Novell Reviews

Pros
  • Experience good Work-Life balance, No Micro Level Management(in 53 reviews)

• Good benefits, good development process for individuals, well understood business process(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management at times experience a disconnect from the work in the "trenches"(in 8 reviews)

• no future, no raises, outdated technology(in 6 reviews)

Novell is a great company but should change their name to SUSE

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNovell has High Ethical Standards

ConsNovell has struggled with hot technologies

Advice to Senior ManagementNovell needs to retain their talent

Good place to stop until you get laid off.

Director (Former Employee) Provo, UT

ProsThis is one of those companies that has the best technology, but loses out in the marketplace. So, by working there, you can get a great look at some fantastic technology. No company is all bad, just like no management team is all bad. It does seem that the high hopes that were held when Ron Hovsepian joined have been dashed by the continued lay offs and lackluster performance.

ConsThey have continual lay offs, every six months or so. This means that people are always looking over their shoulders. They live and work in fear that their job will be cut at any time. Earnings reports are listened to carefully, because employees want to know how likely it is that they will be on a layoff list somewhere. I've known people who were asked about their interest in working for Novell who have declined because they didn't want to work for a company that has such frequent layoffs. Therefore, it drives up their salary cost because they have to pay more to get people to come to work for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk yourselves, "Have all the lay offs really helped the business get better?"

Five years and Groupwise and Evolution still don't work great together?

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI think there is a lot of upside to this company. We have serious potential to do something great. I think Linux on the Desktop and Linux in Small/Medium Business's would be a great thing. Mono also has enormous potential. Overall our product stack is pretty impressive.

ConsI am not sure if we have the ability to execute to our potential. Although our product stack is impressive the actual quality of some of those products isn't that great and our interop is terrible. I wish our products worked better together and I wish they worked better with other technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on execution, quality, integration, and APIs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good company, if you get on the right team

Software Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsNovell has good benefits and a good work environment. Working from home is a very nice experience as are the flexible hours. Depending on the role, engineers have an opportunity to work on new ideas and build products people want to use.

ConsMany jobs are tied to legacy products (NetWare, Groupwise, ZENworks) that are not leaders in their field and are not seeing significant innovation. Sales roles can be very challenging if you are assigned to sell legacy products.

Advice to Senior ManagementCost cutting and business optimization can only go so far. If Novell is to succeed as a technology company, real innovation is needed. Building a amorphous strategy blob of "FOSSA" will not solve this. It requires really innovating and coming up with new ideas. Take some risk!

Struggling company may finally be finding its way.

Senior Consulting Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCompensation. Technical leadership. Occasional opportunities for new ideas.

ConsLousy management at some times in the past. Lack of recognition. Bailed out of California.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue.

The New Novell is the best place to work.

Premium Support Engineer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsBenefiits are some of the best in the industry.

ConsMarketing is not done enough to upper managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on current course. It is starting to pay off.Novelll

Yes, it is possible to have too much potential.

Director (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsSmall enough to make a difference. Big enough for it to matter. Decent pay, decent benefits. Access to management. Loyal customers and partners.

ConsMarket largely has made its mind up about Novell. Harder than it should have to be to succeed in the market as a result. Extreme focus on profit means wages not keeping up with COLA. Corporate attention span of a gnat. Need to bet bigger on a few things and see them through with some patience and some good execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a few of the most promising things and let some others go. You're trying to win 1,000 battles at once with a pretty small army and pretty scarce weapons, rations, etc. Don't let the troops decide how to achieve savings - be bold enough to eliminate an entire something.

Keep the spirit!

Account Manager (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe spirit of the original Novell (Provo, UT), the collaboration and commraderie were fantastic. Novell was blessed with some of the most loyal and passionate customers in the industry. Novell "drinks their own champaign", operating their business on their own software platform. The employee portal, powered by single sign on and Identity Management, made accessing applications and resources extremely easy. Ron Hovsepian is a dynamic leader who is very approachable and business savvy.

ConsLosing relevance in core markets. Many talented and knowledgeable people losing their jobs and being replaced with those with less experience and knowledge. Reoganization after reorganization makes for weary employees, customers and partners.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop slashing the organization! Business units are a great "go to market" strategy with appropriate staff levels. With fewer employees, the "overhead" of communicating and collaborating among business unit silos expends a lot of energy for limited results.

Novell, still lacking leadership

Product Manager (Current Employee) Provo, UT

Proslocation and many quality people.

ConsLack of confidence in upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some leadership

Great company, talented people but suffers from executives that are not in it for the long haul, just the money.

QA Engineer (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsThey permit a flexible schedule and there are opportunities to grow your knowledge. The benefits are very good for the area but are gradually decreasing. Nice Provo facilities.

ConsSome of the down sides are the salaries are not keeping up quite as well as other companies in the area. Bonuses can be somewhat sporadic. Stock options or stock bonuses are non-existent. The government killed most of the benefits of the employees stock purchase plan. The same, it's who you know (promote your friends) mentality as other companies. MOVING JOBS OUTSIDE THE US. I understand that we operate in an global economy but the pace of moving jobs outside the US was irresponsible. It is much more than about paying someone less. The skills difference and knowledge transfer is a substantial issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing forward with the current strategy. Put your own salaries and additional compensation in line with everyone else in the company. On a scale of 1 to 10, you are not a 1000. If I'm a 3 and my VP is a 6. Meaning he is paid about 3 levels higher than me. The executives get paid a 1000. The gap between the upper people managers and the executives is enormous. Fix it. Get the board to fix it. Work as hard as the people in the trenches and pay them as generous as you are paid or you will lose essential talent and knowledge and the company will fail.

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!