Novell

Novell Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Novell President & General Manager Bob Flynn

Bob Flynn

Pros:
  • "Experience good Work-Life balance, No Micro Level Management"
    in 51 reviews
  • "Good benefits, good development process for individuals, well understood business process"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management at times experience a disconnect from the work in the "trenches""
    in 8 reviews
  • "no future, no raises, outdated technology"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company with great people

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Provo, UT

Pros- Plenty of brilliant people who are experts in their field
    - Good balance of new development and maintenance
    - Wonderful flexibility, especially in the work/life balance

ConsPrevious management have given Novell a bit of a negative reputation concerning job security. However, I can honestly say that lately, I've been more positive about Novell's long-term future (and my future with them) than I have during my entire career. I imagine the next six months will be hard for most tech companies, but I am increasingly encouraged about the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work; thank you for re-investing in the company.

good, structured and sometimes slow moving company, stable though

Director of Engineering (Former Employee)
    Provo, UT

Prosmature company, good benefits, caring, solid product management, very business/profit oriented, very large customer base and returning business, fun

Consmature company, takes time to embrace new opportunities, probably slightly below industry average compensation (money isn't everything though, enough pros to make up for it)

Great pay, great people, but a lot of chaos in what is going on in the company

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsPay is great
    Hours are flexible and work load isn't too bad

ConsThe history of the company has lead to a lot of messed up business processes that are out of date and the company doesn't have time or money to fix it, so they have to deal with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your company, your holding onto very old processes and technologies that are slowly killing your company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great 11+ years

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Provo, UT

ProsFriendly atmosphere, great benefits, good salary

ConsInconsistent direction and leadership over the years

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a solid vision and stick with it

Loving my time...

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Provo, UT

ProsIn the time that I've been with Novell I've found that they offer flexible work hours, a unique and productive office building, consistently challenging work, and a plethora of great talent and associates.

ConsThere are some negative perceptions of the company specifically locally and some of our products are often viewed negatively within the press.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to reward your employees and the production will come

Fun and Flexible

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Provo, UT

ProsFun working enviroment and lots of great and long lasting friendships. Quite flexible with the schedule and personal life.

ConsTakes forever to get anything done with the data center and you don't feel appreciated as they do not make counter offers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of (insert 3 letter company acronym here) outsourcing disaster and get the employee's back on at Novell so we can get the business running like it should again.

A Change in Culture

Manager (Current Employee)
    Provo, UT

ProsSince its acquisition by The Attachmate Group, Novell has begun to undergo some important changes in culture. On the positive end of things, there is a stronger focus on Sales and on the customer. Within the Novell Business Unit, the engineering team has new life! Important improvements in products are being released much more regularly.

ConsBut, unfortunately, the new company is also heavily silo'd now and strongly hierarchical. There is much less cooperation between BU's and between departments than there used to be. There is much more defending of turf. Managers and Directors who wish to collaborate for the good of the company generally have to do that under the radar. There is a strong hierarchy in place. It requires position power to communicate effectively between groups. To speak up a level is difficult. Information is held confidentially, often even from the people who need to be doing the work that requires that information. It is a strange dynamic.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up communication and trust your people. You have a huge store of experience and talent of long-term employees that is being squandered. This is probably the biggest driver of attrition.

Terrible culture and lack of organization

Technology Sales Specialist (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThere were really no pros

ConsDying company with lack of cohesive vision and leadership. Continually look for ways to cheat sales people out of commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to a strategy and do not jerk the people around. Pay sales people what they are worth so that you do not have the massive amounts of turnover that have been prevalent in the 2000's. Invest in a lead/demand generation staff and platform to drive inbound traffic for products and services

Pretty good company

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsHealth Benifits
    Workload is manageable
    Environment

ConsPay could be better
    Some Field Reps try to take advantage of the Inside Reps.
    Having to argue with compensation team to get payed on an account you worked on.
    Having to use SAP(very time consuming)
    Some Field Reps don't make an effort to visit customers weekly

Advice to Senior Managementmore clarification on duties between Inside and Outside Rep. Make sure Field Rep are aware that they are not managers over the inside team.

Great colleagues,,good benefits but poor outlook

Senior Tech Specialist (Former Employee)
    Jersey City, NJ

ProsGreat colleagues,good benefits,decent salary,flexible work arrangements,great work life balance

ConsMyopic upper level management towards strategic long term initiatives.Poor upper management communication

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication,transparency and value long serving employees

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!

Novell Videos

Novell – Why Work for Us?

Novell, Inc., is a global enterprise software leader, providing solutions that make work environments more productive, secure and manageable. Novell supports thousands of organizations around the world with… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Novell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Novell CEO Bob Flynn . All 281 reviews posted anonymously by Novell employees.