Novell

Novell Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Novell President & General Manager Bob Flynn

Bob Flynn

Pros:
  • "Experience good Work-Life balance, No Micro Level Management"
    in 50 reviews
  • "Good benefits, good development process for individuals, well understood business process"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management at times experience a disconnect from the work in the "trenches""
    in 8 reviews
  • "no future, no raises, outdated technology"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Potential, Poor Execution

Technology Sales Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Novell

ProsOpportunity to work with smart, talented and determined people. Best-in-class technology. Offers good benefits and office culture. Provides great learning opportunities.

ConsFrequent (quarterly) layoffs reduce morale and sense of job security.
Lack of vision and weak execution (new corporate strategy each year).
Frequent changes in management (I was assigned a new manager approximately twice a year).
Focused on short-term planning and selling.
The Novell brand has high awareness, but is poorly perceived in the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire TBWA/Chiat/Day to improve the Novell brand.

Novell, good place to work? Surely not in Waltham.

Senior HRIS Analyst (Former Employee)
Waltham, MA

I worked at Novell

ProsGiven the lack of managerial oversight, the "freedom" and "independence" to expand on my skills and role even if management did not acknowledge my accomplishments and achievements.

ConsLack of cohesivness and communication within the company. Everyone seems to be in for themselves instead of working together.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company was sold and is being split up; what advice is there to give to management?

A fantastic enviroment

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novell

ProsThe Tools & Services branch of Novell is extremely flexible with their employees. If the people I worked with were any less driven and dedicated I would say too flexible.

We largely get to set our own schedule, we can work from home whenever we feel the need (within limits, obviuosly), vacation time, sick days, and holidays are all handled by a single paid time off structure that is VERY flexible (basically I have 30 days off a year, which I can use as I see fit). It all basically runs off of an 'honor' system: Let your co-workers know in advance if you can, get your work done, and you wont get bothered. If the people I worked with were any less dedicated and responsible it would be TOO much flexibility. But they aren't. My immediate co-workers work hard and have a desire to get their work done, so the sytem works great.

The projects I work on are interesting, and I have a lot of control over the design process, which is an unexpected perk for a recent graduate. I am responsible for several projects, and as long as get keep up on them I have a lot of control over how and when I work on them.

My boss is a great guy who really looks out for those under him. He firmly believes that a happy employee is a productive one, and is willing to fight with HR for us. From the departmental director down there is a lot of support and cooperation.

ConsNovell is a BIG company with all the negatives that entails: Lots of red tape between departments and having to navigate complex inter-departmental politics to get anything done. In my team we are constantly having to work around artificial limitations and find loopholes to get things done. Often time we only own half the code we are working on and have to come up with complicated solutions to pass data around, other times we are working on solving bugs (sometimes major ones) and hit a dead end when we start intersecting other departments projects. You can make a report to have them fix it, but it typically just slips between the cracks.

HR and accounting are really disconnected from the rest of the company, which is why Novell has a bit of a reputation for yearly layoffs. My manager is very willing to fight for us and works hard to make sure we are fairly compensated, but it is still a fight, and it really shouldn't be.

But the grounds are beautiful, the people are enjoyable, there are lots of teambuilding activities (real ones, that actually help me get to know the people I work with and have a positive impact), lots of flexibility, and just a good general atmosphere.

As long as you are dealing with just your department, it is an amazing place to work. And even when dealing with other departments is just a minor annoyance.

And not all departments are a well managed as mine. Support (just across the hall) can be hellish.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is too much of a disconnect between HR, accounting, and the rest of the company. They can be great at paying well at hire, but getting raises shouldn't be such a battle.

Outsourcing your support is killing you. ICS (the company we outsource most of our support to) is a mess and bleeding employees. Bring it back in-house and give those poor support engineers the support they deserve.

Good place to jump start (if one does not have a good resume), but move on quickly

Web Developer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Novell

ProsDecent pay (for an internship in Provo), flexible hours, nice facilities (loved having an office instead of a cubicle)

ConsBasically, everyone in my team had been laid off and rehired (or brought in as a contractor) like 3 times. The place is extremely unstable when it comes to having any career prospect

Mid-level managers and engineers aren't in the same page, and young starlets do not get enough attention or guidance (and take the brunt when something goes awry). Don't expect help from other engineers or developers (you are a nuissance).

If you have been laid off: you will not be formally notified. You will come to work one day and your access card will not work. Then you will be notified by phone that you need to make an appointment with a security guard to get your stuff from your office, and thank-you-very-much.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh-level managers: people are your main assets. Massive layoffs due to irresponsible risk taking are your fault.

Mid-level managers: take responsibility for training your people.

Novell is a solid employer

I have been working at Novell

ProsGood benefits, smart people, fast paced industry.

ConsLimited opportunities long term. Decreasing revenue stream. Likely to be acquired.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent. Be much more decisive.

Great Family Life Balance

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Novell

ProsNovell is good about giving employees time off for family matters. It has been a great place to earn a living and be able to spend time with my family outside of 8 - 5.

ConsSometimes it feels as if there is no direction. Too many competing focuses. Things that were top priority suddenly are on the bottom.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with the people that do the work. Simply saying that we are switching direction doesn't work. Communicate the why behind it.

good

Marketing, Alliances Director (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Novell

ProsSalary, Small company, ability to participate in company's direction, access to senior management

ConsGrowth opportunities, Company leadership in the marketplace, Senior Management ability to improve the business, lack of efficient leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust people, let them take decisions, reduce excessive "decision by committee" environment

Micro Management

License Management Services (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits, made great friends

Conspoor micromanagement, over worked and underappreciated

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your employees do their job and they will do it good.

Great Company - Lousy leadership

Senior Technical Specialist (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Novell

Prossurrounded by great people with great talents

ConsHow is it possible for a CEO to have spent over $5 billion dollars on MA - and have achieved no gain? How is it that a CEO has, quarter over quarter, yr over yr, lost margin and revenue and NOT been replaced - Fired?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Ron.

Great opportunity

Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Novell

ProsThey gave me opportunities to learn on their dime

ConsIt was difficult to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter task management. Lots of times I didn't get notice that something needed to be completed until a day or two before hand

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Novell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Novell CEO Bob Flynn . All 271 reviews posted anonymously by Novell employees.