Novell

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.3

Kathleen Owens

Pros
  • Work life balance (though now it is changing at faster pace) (in 62 reviews)

• Good benefits, good development process for individuals, well understood business process (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management at times experience a disconnect from the work in the "trenches" (in 8 reviews)

• Most of the businesses are in the legacy space, little happening on developing new products (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome balance between life and work. I never felt like I was going to get fired when a family emergency came up and I had to work from home or remotely to tend to it.

Cons

Lay-offs. Even after attachmate came into play there are still lay offs. This is the major reason I see people leave of their own free-will. In addition decisions made higher up give the company a poor outlook for the future.

More focus on providing and brighter outlook for the future. Stop doing lay-offs or "corporate restructurings" whatever you want to call them they destroy morale of your employees.

Very accommodating, but seemingly underpaid for experience.

Current Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Very flexible schedule and easy to work with. Work-life balance is terrific, office culture is very inviting and fun - there to learn and get stuff done while having fun attitude. Talented co-workers and mentors to help.

Cons

It's not the best to work for a company that is slowly dying. In my opinion, there are some great ideas that just haven't been executed quite right to gain spotlight (like Novell Filr). Great opportunity for personal growth and enhancing IT skills. Compensation is below average in my opinion.

Please offer raises to your employees to entice talent to stay.

Struggling to breathe...

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are some very good people in this company. However, very few of them are in a position to make a difference.

Cons

Terrible upper management. 10 years ago this company had a very strong moral compass, worked ethically and treated the employee as a valued asset. Now, the benefits are lousy, the policies are anti-employee and the ONLY focus is how to bilk a customer out of a dollar. Policies are re-written on the fly to make a sale. Workload is heavy as the company is stretched super thin at every position. There are customer-centric jobs here that are being done by one person, where at our competitors might be done by a team of 15-20 people. And every single year, the company loses more and more net business.

Honestly, treat your people like they are your most important asset instead of interchangeable parts that can be replaced at will. Stop trying to screw your employees over with horrible policies and benefits that are simply dreadful.

Business Model Flawed, auditing customers to "catch them" will not grow business.

I worked at Novell full-time

Pros

Some very nice people work here.

Cons

This company is in decline. The name Novell shuts doors amazingly fast or has customers saying that they thought Novell was dead. No innovation. "Innovative" products are years behind the competition. Customers are ripping out Novell as fast as they can to move to Microsoft. The Novell strategy is to make it difficult for customers to move to something else. And if they do, to make it painful and costly, uncovering as many audit findings as possible. Make no mistake, the audit group drives this company (ala Attachmate), not sales.

Growth through audit won't happen. You're pushing away customers. Get in new blood and new products now, or wither and die.

Constant decline of market share, revenues, benefits and job satisfaction

Former Employee - Program Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People - I stayed so long because of the people.

Cons

Too many to list, but all a result of the decline in market share and the acquisition by Attachmate.

Excellent

Current Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Professional people- management is good

Cons

Marketing could have been better. The products are really nice.

Marketing should be the focus -

Good place to work

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very relaxed work environment, fantastic benefits, family friendly, free gym, great food at the cafeteria, tons of paid time off. New leadership seems to be moving the company in a good direction.

Cons

Lower pay than average, just about no opportunity to move up. Everyone I talks to wonders if I'm fearful for my job because of the company's history. Novell isn't a new up and coming company in Utah.

Quit training your competition's employees. Give your young talent a reason to stick around. This company needs new blood to invigorate innovation. Give employees opportunities to make their mark on the company. Give people a reason to make cool stuff again.

What use to be is no longer ,,,

Current Employee - Account Exed in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Account Exed in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are still good people at Novell. A lot of flexibility doing your job.

Cons

Management does not reinvest in R&D. It takes years versus months for new product features.

Start caring about the customer (again).

Interesting

I worked at Novell

Pros

Great company, somewhat relaxed environment.

Cons

When the company was bought, about 800 people were laid off. Unfortunately I was one of them.

Not what it used to be

I worked at Novell

Pros

Great people who appreciate their customers.

Cons

New senior management that seems to only understand value operations.