Novell Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7

Kathleen Owens

Pros
  • Work life balance (though now it is changing at faster pace) (in 59 reviews)

• Good benefits, good development process for individuals, well understood business process (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management at times experience a disconnect from the work in the "trenches" (in 8 reviews)

• Most of the businesses are in the legacy space, little happening on developing new products (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great student job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

As a student at BYU, Novell has been EXTREMELY flexible with my work schedule. I make my own hours, and when I need time off as long as I let them know in advance I'm able to take off as much as I need. I've gained incredible work experience here as well, being able to work on great projects that often times the Board of Directors see.

Cons

I would be afraid to work here if I were planning on building a long term career starting at Novell. There's not a lot of room to grow.

There's also been uncertainty around Novell's financial stability. Recent rumors of a possible by out (although denied by the CEO) are one example of the uncertainty the company faces. Novell's been around for a while, yes, but its continued long term viability remains to be seen.

Focus on long-term and not short term results. For example, the company recently finished a "100-in-100" campaign, with the goal being to invoice $100 million in revenue in 100 days. If management really wants to build long-term shareholder wealth, they'd focus on longer-term initiatives and not promote the bad habits that evolve from these short-term initiatives.

Wonderful Experience - Provides Exceptional Training and Preparation for Future Career

Current Employee - Student Intern - Hourly  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Student Intern - Hourly in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

1. Training and Exposure: The department that I work in has taken extreme measures to provide me with exposure to many of Novell's business issues. As a business/accounting major, I have found that working at Novell has provided me with a significant amount of relevant experience. Many of my post-graduate-employer interviews have had my experience at Novell as a main discussion point, and often earned me the offer. My managers provide plenty of training and mentoring, while still permitting a loose enough leash to let me venture independently.

2. Public Company in Provo: In the Provo area, it is difficult to find an employer that is large enough to expose you to hot topics and big business issues. Novell provides exactly that. With almost a $1 billion in revenue, Novell has operations all over the world. That background provides valuable perspective.

3. Fair Compensation: For the area, the pay is really great.

4. Awesome Work Environment: The campus Novell is on is really beautiful and very clean. The buildings are well maintained and they offer many great benefits: Free gym membership, decent food/cafeteria, and many other on-site services.

5. Flexibility: My managers have been extremely flexible with my work schedule. I usually just tell them when and they approve it. It is designed more around project needs than an hourly commitment. They also let me take off for 10 weeks to do an internship elsewhere! (with a Big Four Accounting Firm) So they are very flexible and want students to gain a lot of experience for their future careers.

Cons

1. Minimum 20 Hours per Week: I only put this here since I can't think of anything else. I work a lot more than that - although my schedule is very flexible. I'm not sure if this applies to other interns in other departments either.

2. No benefits for interns (medical): Not to be expected, but something to be aware of. (We still get paid holidays though!)

3. If you are a college student, Novell is in the southern most part of Provo. So you will need a car or bus pass. Hardly a "Con", but again - something to be aware of.

The grounds are extremely nice. Almost too nice. I just hope that we aren't spending so much money on the campus that we are taking away growth/job opportunities.

Focus less on cost cutting and more on revenue growth. Cost-cutting (which is extremely important) only goes so far. It is great to be profitable again, but I would love to see our revenue taking off. I loved the 100 in 100 campaign. Hopefully it is the first of many good ideas.

Solid place to work

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell

Pros

I enjoyed the atmosphere at Novell as much as anything else. There was always a lot of work to be done, but the expectation was not that anybody had to work 24/7. The people at Novell seemed to care about each other, as people.

Cons

The company's long-term health is somewhat in question. If the Linux strategy doesn't work, they'll have gutted long-term profitable products to meet expense targets and be left with a product that ultimately doesn't produce revenue.

Trim away products that make no / little money. The company is spread too thin, and the near-constant layoffs are very much a morale drain. Invest in what makes money and require all divisions of the company to do that.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Novell has a really good atmosphere and does have some of the best benefits that are available. They are also open about time off and coming in to work at a decent time.

Cons

Novell does not have a very good way of promoting their products, thus customers move on to competitors all the time. The company it's self is constantly shrinking its head count, making everyone nervous that their job is next to get cut.

I enjoy the atmosphere but I would like to know that I have a future in the company. I would also ask management to not micromanage the employees.

Project management work at Novell

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Good benefits
    Excellent facilities, offices rather than cubicles
    Lots of vacation time
    Flexible for telecommuting
    Very strong technology portfolio, just week on execution.

Cons

Uncertain future, the strategy changes so often that the average employee doesn't keep up with it.
    Lots of off-shoring. This makes work schedules erratic, but good if you want work in China or India.

ask yourselves the question, "When we've off-shored the majority of R&D to reduce costs, how do we innovate to create sustainable growth?"

No growth

Current Employee - Architect  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Novell provides great benefits - health, dental, etc

Cons

The company has not grown and there is no growth in sight

organic growth

A great place to work... until layoff time

Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell

Pros

Actually, even with the constant fear of layoffs and outsourcing, it has been more than worth it. This has been a great place to work; a lot of fun. They value people in general and make sure you are taken care of. There is a great emphasis placed on career path and training. My mangers have been extremely fair in promotion and bonuses. They are understanding of family situations. Though in some departments there is a tendency to overwork, mine was much less problematic. I value their commitment to open source.

Cons

The constant fear of layoff and outsourcing is real. It finally hit me though I had managed to avoid it for years. Though we are being offered jobs at the outsourcer, it will be a definite reduction in benefits.

Please stay committed to Linux and open source. There is a whole world that will open up as you do.

Novell has great products but needs to execute better

Former Employee - Application Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Application Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Novell

Pros

Very innovative products. Company is constantly on the cutting edge with its offerings.

Cons

Company lacks direction and seems layoffs/RIFs happen at least 2-3 times a year.

Leverage the existing technology as it's vastly superior to what else is out there. Stop constantly "right-sizing" the company

Decent place to work -- not cutting edge technology nor really fun place to work

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Open source, fairly cutting edge, fairly innovative managment

Cons

It's a bit stodgy of a place

Nothing

Could be better

Current Employee - Software Engineer Consultant
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Consultant

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Flexible working hours, reasonable benefits, good compensation.

Cons

Too much focus on cost accounting, not enough on productivity vs. cost.

Stop outsourcing, it's not cost effective.

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!