Novell Reviews

Reset
3.1
Novell President and General Manager Kathleen Owens
Kathleen Owens

Pros
  • Nice culture & work life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Good benefits and work life balance (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management seems to be lost (in 8 reviews)

• New products are in infant stage (in 7 reviews)

1. The New Novell is the best place to work.

Current Employee - Premium Support Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Premium Support Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Benefiits are some of the best in the industry.

Cons

Marketing is not done enough to upper managers.

Advice to Management

Stay on current course. It is starting to pay off.Novelll

Professional management; company heading in the right direction

Current Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Novell

Pros

The company is headed in the right direction, is increasing its market focus, and rewards strong performance.

Cons

There are still some long-time employees who are not adding a lot of value.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on customers' problems and how the company can best communicate and deliver solutions to those problems.

3. Novell has a really good executive team in place.

Current Employee - Director in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Director in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Novell has great people and technology. The company is very good to us. They're extremely competitive across our industry. The marketing and executive management is excellent.

Cons

Working. :-) There's really nothing bad about Novell other than they're a typical company that has to manage expenses so sometimes layoffs are necessary.

Advice to Management

Eliminate all waste and focus on customer satisfaction.

5. Very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Premium Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Premium Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Novell

Pros

It a company filed with very talented and professional people. Great company to work for.

Cons

Personally for me there is none. Hard work get rewarded but still in a framework where it is possible to maintain a good work /life balance.

Advice to Management

To maintain excellence in our products.

6. Strong Leadership from the CEO

Current Employee - Services Finance in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Services Finance in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Fantastic leadership, Ron (CEO) has truly restructured business to be more agile and lean. Was here in last downturn (2001-02) and company was behind in getting margins in line. Now, when a lot of companies are struggling to stay afloat and slow economy, Ron positioned company last two years to pay out full bonuses.

Cons

No real downsides other than finally getting through some expensive acquisitions from previous leadership. Eric S. needs to contribute back some Google stock to Novell for all the $$$ he cost the company with his last acquisition before he left.

Advice to Management

Recognize we have a strong leader at the top and don't worry about over communicating to employees. Sometimes people don't understand the first time.

7. Novell is good place to work

Current Employee - Software Sales in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Sales in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Good benefits, good people and desire for the company to succeed. Ability for teams to over achieve and hit compensation accelerators

Cons

Need better communication within departments and focus on market share.

Advice to Management

Need to focus on building market share and aggressiveness towards competition. Continue to focus on building career paths and communicate how to get there.

8. Wonderful Experience - Provides Exceptional Training and Preparation for Future Career

Current Employee - Student Intern - Hourly in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Student Intern - Hourly in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

1. Training and Exposure: The department that I work in has taken extreme measures to provide me with exposure to many of Novell's business issues. As a business/accounting major, I have found that working at Novell has provided me with a significant amount of relevant experience. Many of my post-graduate-employer interviews have had my experience at Novell as a main discussion point, and often earned me the offer. My managers provide plenty of training and mentoring, while still permitting a loose enough leash to let me venture independently. 2. Public Company in Provo: In the Provo area, it is difficult to find an employer that is large enough to expose you to hot topics and big business issues. Novell provides exactly that. With almost a $1 billion in revenue, Novell has operations all over the world. That background provides valuable perspective. 3. Fair Compensation: For the area, the pay is really great. 4. Awesome Work Environment: The campus Novell is on is really beautiful and very clean. The buildings are well maintained and they offer many great benefits: Free gym membership, decent food/cafeteria, and many other on-site services. 5. Flexibility: My managers have been extremely flexible with my work schedule. I usually just tell them when and they approve it. It is designed more around project needs than an hourly commitment. They also let me take off for 10 weeks to do an internship elsewhere! (with a Big Four Accounting Firm) So they are very flexible and want students to gain a lot of experience for their future careers.

Cons

1. Minimum 20 Hours per Week: I only put this here since I can't think of anything else. I work a lot more than that - although my schedule is very flexible. I'm not sure if this applies to other interns in other departments either. 2. No benefits for interns (medical): Not to be expected, but something to be aware of. (We still get paid holidays though!) 3. If you are a college student, Novell is in the southern most part of Provo. So you will need a car or bus pass. Hardly a "Con", but again - something to be aware of.

Advice to Management

The grounds are extremely nice. Almost too nice. I just hope that we aren't spending so much money on the campus that we are taking away growth/job opportunities. Focus less on cost cutting and more on revenue growth. Cost-cutting (which is extremely important) only goes so far. It is great to be profitable again, but I would love to see our revenue taking off. I loved the 100 in 100 campaign. Hopefully it is the first of many good ideas.

9. Great student job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

As a student at BYU, Novell has been EXTREMELY flexible with my work schedule. I make my own hours, and when I need time off as long as I let them know in advance I'm able to take off as much as I need. I've gained incredible work experience here as well, being able to work on great projects that often times the Board of Directors see.

Cons

I would be afraid to work here if I were planning on building a long term career starting at Novell. There's not a lot of room to grow. There's also been uncertainty around Novell's financial stability. Recent rumors of a possible by out (although denied by the CEO) are one example of the uncertainty the company faces. Novell's been around for a while, yes, but its continued long term viability remains to be seen.

Advice to Management

Focus on long-term and not short term results. For example, the company recently finished a "100-in-100" campaign, with the goal being to invoice $100 million in revenue in 100 days. If management really wants to build long-term shareholder wealth, they'd focus on longer-term initiatives and not promote the bad habits that evolve from these short-term initiatives.

10. A fantastic enviroment

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

The Tools & Services branch of Novell is extremely flexible with their employees. If the people I worked with were any less driven and dedicated I would say too flexible. We largely get to set our own schedule, we can work from home whenever we feel the need (within limits, obviuosly), vacation time, sick days, and holidays are all handled by a single paid time off structure that is VERY flexible (basically I have 30 days off a year, which I can use as I see fit). It all basically runs off of an 'honor' system: Let your co-workers know in advance if you can, get your work done, and you wont get bothered. If the people I worked with were any less dedicated and responsible it would be TOO much flexibility. But they aren't. My immediate co-workers work hard and have a desire to get their work done, so the sytem works great. The projects I work on are interesting, and I have a lot of control over the design process, which is an unexpected perk for a recent graduate. I am responsible for several projects, and as long as get keep up on them I have a lot of control over how and when I work on them. My boss is a great guy who really looks out for those under him. He firmly believes that a happy employee is a productive one, and is willing to fight with HR for us. From the departmental director down there is a lot of support and cooperation.

Cons

Novell is a BIG company with all the negatives that entails: Lots of red tape between departments and having to navigate complex inter-departmental politics to get anything done. In my team we are constantly having to work around artificial limitations and find loopholes to get things done. Often time we only own half the code we are working on and have to come up with complicated solutions to pass data around, other times we are working on solving bugs (sometimes major ones) and hit a dead end when we start intersecting other departments projects. You can make a report to have them fix it, but it typically just slips between the cracks. HR and accounting are really disconnected from the rest of the company, which is why Novell has a bit of a reputation for yearly layoffs. My manager is very willing to fight for us and works hard to make sure we are fairly compensated, but it is still a fight, and it really shouldn't be. But the grounds are beautiful, the people are enjoyable, there are lots of teambuilding activities (real ones, that actually help me get to know the people I work with and have a positive impact), lots of flexibility, and just a good general atmosphere. As long as you are dealing with just your department, it is an amazing place to work. And even when dealing with other departments is just a minor annoyance. And not all departments are a well managed as mine. Support (just across the hall) can be hellish.

Advice to Management

There is too much of a disconnect between HR, accounting, and the rest of the company. They can be great at paying well at hire, but getting raises shouldn't be such a battle. Outsourcing your support is killing you. ICS (the company we outsource most of our support to) is a mess and bleeding employees. Bring it back in-house and give those poor support engineers the support they deserve.

11. Great company for professional development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Novell

Pros

It is not uncommon to meet Novell employees with 10 or more years with the company, this speaks well of the way Novell treats its employees. Novell places strong emphasis on hiring top talent and represents a great opportunity to learn from the best of the best in your field. Novell is well recognized in the industry as a leader in product development and for its global network of partners.

Cons

Acquisition by Attachmate will affect corporate culture. I expect the resulting company will inherit some good things from Novell but at this moment it is uncertain what will happen exactly. This also applies to product roadmap.

Advice to Management

The transition following the acquisition by Attachmate seems to be leaving out many critical processes, with senior managers disregarding day to day operations and employees confused and uncertain about what they need to do.

RSS Feed </> Embed