Novell Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
324 reviews filtered by

1. It used to be one of the great places to work in Utah; that is until the acquisition happened.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The salary is competitive. Good work/life balance.

Cons

There is GREAT question of whether or not the company will survive.

Advice to Management

Just tell the truth of what the direction is for the company; will it eventually dissolve? Open up about the plans to re-locate outside of Utah.

2. Legacy company that provides a good salary in a great city.

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to live. Nice building. Chance to right a sinking ship.

Cons

Hard to get people to change in a legacy company.

Advice to Management

Allow more innovation from bottom up.

3. Good employer. Departments are very flat hiearchically, with room for e-ees to take on interesting projects.

Current Employee - Attorney in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Attorney in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment allowing flexibility to move schedule to attend kids sports activities.
    Large enough have good community of co-workers. Small enough I can lead change.
    Great local recreation (skiing and hiking).

Cons

Pay is fine, but probably not above industry average.

5. Great Company

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

easy to work with. great with scheduling

Cons

long hrs, lots of overtime.

Advice to Management

be more time manageable with employees and get rid of those who take advantage. work the hrs you need to work not let them get off working less.

6. Great experience

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was a great place to work, it was flexible and had great benefits. Had a gym with showers on site plus a great cafeteria. Had plenty of vacation.

Cons

Was not much room to move up in the company. Lots of people had worked there a long time. There would often be an open spot that would get closed with no hire. Historically there had been many lay offs.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more opportunities for employees to grow.

Good people, Plan is to Get Return on Private Investment, NOT Growth

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I loved the people in Provo and Seattle, they were great to work with. Benefits are great including the gym, cafeteria, outdoor facilities like basketball court and volleyball court. Great vacation benefits, decent healthcare, ok 401k

Cons

Only a few people know how to make a difference and they're held back by a financial model that worked at Attachmate to get return on investor purchase. If the company doesn't grow and they milk the investment, they get what they want. When that dries up, they'll buy another company. SUSE and NetIQ may be an exception but they are constrained by the same financial structure: strict hiring processes, very little R&D, and little focus on the future.

Advice to Management

Let the GMs make decisions about hiring and firing. Consider investing more in existing products and businesses to try to turn things around rather than just milking the cow. A death spiral is no fun to be a part of.

8. Good culture

I have been working at Novell full-time

Pros

Good work environment, nice office

Cons

Management has no clue on reality

Advice to Management

Find facts

9. People are great, management not as much

Former Employee - Product Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, mid to lower management
    Good environment
    Balance

Cons

Unstable history and not getting much better
    Taken down by management, 2002-2011

Advice to Management

Listen to your people

10. Declining - fast!

Former Employee - Premium Support Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Premium Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The current pros: decent pension contributions from the company is all I can think about.

Cons

I worked at Novell (now TAG) for over 10 years. I started when Novell was a great company to work at. You felt like you were valued, training, salary, and benefits were all very generous. If you ever needed anything that was within reason you would get it approved relatively fast. This is definitely not the case now!

Cons:

1.) Lack of salary increase. I haven't had an increase for the past 6 years. The usual excuse is that there's a recession and the company has reviewed salaries and the salaries are still competitive. The salaries are NOT competitive. I have ex colleague's that have left and are being paid a higher salary that is inline with inflation.

2.) Lack of direction from management. I'm not impressed with the TAG style of management, they are out of touch with the employees and technology and are only worried about profit. Many talented and highly experienced employees were laid off.

3.) Lack of training and development. Training is no longer seen as a necessity, cost cutting has taken a priority over everything so you are left with demotivated staff that just go through the motions.

4.) Lack of incentive related bonus. In the past, bonuses were related to performance, if you went the extra mile you got a bonus that reflected that. This is no longer the case, there's no real incentive for employees to go the extra mile if there's nothing in it for them, except Sales are renewals, they are the one's that drive the current bonus scheme. See point 1 above.

5.) All round negativity. The whole company is currently filled with so much negativity that no one cares anymore. Management fail to see that the company will not be successful when the majority of employees are unhappy. The negativity spills out to the customers, they can sense it and then lose faith in the whole company and will rather take their money elsewhere.

6.) Stale products. Novell used to have great products in the past, Novell had some really innovative and cutting edge technology but this is no longer the case. Most of the current software is just the same old crud with a different interface.

7.) Management out of touch with employees. I can't remember the last time my manager actually asked me if I was happy in my role, if I needed any training, or if I was happy in my role or was interested in a different role. Management just don't seem to care and are just as demotivated as the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with employees, get back to basics and don't neglect employees. They're not happy and the company won't be successful if employees are unhappy.
    You pay people peanuts, you get monkeys. Before I left I made sure that I worked the EXACT hours required, never giving an inch since there was nothing in it for me, many colleagues' feel the same way, you need to try and eliminate the company wide negativity.
    Provide employees with security, give them an increase!

11. “Wonderful work environment.”

I worked at Novell full-time

Pros

Highly experienced, competent, focused people, environment, benefits, time off, gym, soccer, ping pong, ultimate frisbee, flag football, family friendly work hours, and no micro management.

Cons

Vision, Direction, Leadership, Prioritization, Work Management, Communication, Execution, and Follow up.

Advice to Management

Identify where you're going, and what you're willing to give up to get there. Instead of laying off (redundant) people, consolidate your redundant work, and free your people up to expand, grow, and deepen relationships and products.