Novell Reviews

320 reviews filtered by

1. Great experience

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was a great place to work, it was flexible and had great benefits. Had a gym with showers on site plus a great cafeteria. Had plenty of vacation.

Cons

Was not much room to move up in the company. Lots of people had worked there a long time. There would often be an open spot that would get closed with no hire. Historically there had been many lay offs.

There needs to be more opportunities for employees to grow.

Good people, Plan is to Get Return on Private Investment, NOT Growth

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I loved the people in Provo and Seattle, they were great to work with. Benefits are great including the gym, cafeteria, outdoor facilities like basketball court and volleyball court. Great vacation benefits, decent healthcare, ok 401k

Cons

Only a few people know how to make a difference and they're held back by a financial model that worked at Attachmate to get return on investor purchase. If the company doesn't grow and they milk the investment, they get what they want. When that dries up, they'll buy another company. SUSE and NetIQ may be an exception but they are constrained by the same financial structure: strict hiring processes, very little R&D, and little focus on the future.

Let the GMs make decisions about hiring and firing. Consider investing more in existing products and businesses to try to turn things around rather than just milking the cow. A death spiral is no fun to be a part of.

3. Good culture

I have been working at Novell full-time

Pros

Good work environment, nice office

Cons

Management has no clue on reality

Find facts

5. People are great, management not as much

Former Employee - Product Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, mid to lower management
    Good environment
    Balance

Cons

Unstable history and not getting much better
    Taken down by management, 2002-2011

Listen to your people

6. Declining - fast!

Former Employee - Premium Support Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Premium Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The current pros: decent pension contributions from the company is all I can think about.

Cons

I worked at Novell (now TAG) for over 10 years. I started when Novell was a great company to work at. You felt like you were valued, training, salary, and benefits were all very generous. If you ever needed anything that was within reason you would get it approved relatively fast. This is definitely not the case now!

Cons:

1.) Lack of salary increase. I haven't had an increase for the past 6 years. The usual excuse is that there's a recession and the company has reviewed salaries and the salaries are still competitive. The salaries are NOT competitive. I have ex colleague's that have left and are being paid a higher salary that is inline with inflation.

2.) Lack of direction from management. I'm not impressed with the TAG style of management, they are out of touch with the employees and technology and are only worried about profit. Many talented and highly experienced employees were laid off.

3.) Lack of training and development. Training is no longer seen as a necessity, cost cutting has taken a priority over everything so you are left with demotivated staff that just go through the motions.

4.) Lack of incentive related bonus. In the past, bonuses were related to performance, if you went the extra mile you got a bonus that reflected that. This is no longer the case, there's no real incentive for employees to go the extra mile if there's nothing in it for them, except Sales are renewals, they are the one's that drive the current bonus scheme. See point 1 above.

5.) All round negativity. The whole company is currently filled with so much negativity that no one cares anymore. Management fail to see that the company will not be successful when the majority of employees are unhappy. The negativity spills out to the customers, they can sense it and then lose faith in the whole company and will rather take their money elsewhere.

6.) Stale products. Novell used to have great products in the past, Novell had some really innovative and cutting edge technology but this is no longer the case. Most of the current software is just the same old crud with a different interface.

7.) Management out of touch with employees. I can't remember the last time my manager actually asked me if I was happy in my role, if I needed any training, or if I was happy in my role or was interested in a different role. Management just don't seem to care and are just as demotivated as the rest of the company.

Get in touch with employees, get back to basics and don't neglect employees. They're not happy and the company won't be successful if employees are unhappy.
    You pay people peanuts, you get monkeys. Before I left I made sure that I worked the EXACT hours required, never giving an inch since there was nothing in it for me, many colleagues' feel the same way, you need to try and eliminate the company wide negativity.
    Provide employees with security, give them an increase!

7. “Wonderful work environment.”

I worked at Novell full-time

Pros

Highly experienced, competent, focused people, environment, benefits, time off, gym, soccer, ping pong, ultimate frisbee, flag football, family friendly work hours, and no micro management.

Cons

Vision, Direction, Leadership, Prioritization, Work Management, Communication, Execution, and Follow up.

Identify where you're going, and what you're willing to give up to get there. Instead of laying off (redundant) people, consolidate your redundant work, and free your people up to expand, grow, and deepen relationships and products.

8. Good

Former Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good development process for individuals, well understood business process.

Cons

Most of the businesses are in the legacy space, little happening on developing new products.

9. A dying company lacking vision and leadership

I have been working at Novell full-time

Pros

Great work life balance and benefits. Everyone understands the importance of getting in early and leaving on time. The people are great to work with.

Cons

No innovation, a defeatist culture and limited communication from leadership. Although the people are great, they do not have the resources or support to reach potential. This perpetuates the "us against them" attitude toward leadership in that no one truly knows what is coming in the next quarter as far as compensation, bonus, investment, or layoffs.

whatever the vision and direction may be, communicate it honestly with all. Do not communicate thing at company-wide meetings and then fail to make decisions that back that communication behind closed doors

10. Great work life balance, no real opportunity to advance

I worked at Novell part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great onsite facilities. East Bay Cafe has great food, gym, basketball courts and soccer fields
    - Great work life balance. A lot of my managers would work from home if they needed/wanted to.
    - Able to get discounts at nearby restaurants.

Cons

- No real opportunity for advancement. Was there for two years and there were no positions available to move into.
    - Since the company was taken private it was extremely difficult to hire new workers when they were needed. Approval had to go all the way up to the CEO even to hire an intern.

11. Had a good experience there but wouldn't go back

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I haven't worked at Novell for a long time, but when I was there, I received lots of opportunities. I was regularly promoted and the environment was dynamic. I loved the people around me and the work I did.

Cons

Unfortunately, Novell had a habit of laying off people several times a year to increase their profit margins. I felt on edge during the entire 5 years I was there. Finally, I was laid off with 600 other people. Many of the people that survived were laid off or have moved elsewhere.

I'll never understand why you laid off some of the best employees you had. The VP I worked under saved you millions of dollars each year because of new initiatives. Someone let politics rather than good sense rule. You later laid off the people who made that bad political decision. I think you should judge people on what they have done for the company instead of who is threatened by someone's success. I still love Novell! but would be afraid to go back there.