Novell Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Good place to jump start (if one does not have a good resume), but move on quickly

Former Employee - Web Developer Intern in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Web Developer Intern in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell

Pros

Decent pay (for an internship in Provo), flexible hours, nice facilities (loved having an office instead of a cubicle)

Cons

Basically, everyone in my team had been laid off and rehired (or brought in as a contractor) like 3 times. The place is extremely unstable when it comes to having any career prospect Mid-level managers and engineers aren't in the same page, and young starlets do not get enough attention or guidance (and take the brunt when something goes awry). Don't expect help from other engineers or developers (you are a nuissance). If you have been laid off: you will not be formally notified. You will come to work one day and your access card will not work. Then you will be notified by phone that you need to make an appointment with a security guard to get your stuff from your office, and thank-you-very-much.

Advice to Management

High-level managers: people are your main assets. Massive layoffs due to irresponsible risk taking are your fault. Mid-level managers: take responsibility for training your people.

Beautiful Campus, Reasonable Pay, Good Opportunity, Difficult Culture

Former Employee - Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell

Pros

Beautiful offices and campus, convenient on-site gym, bank and cafeteria, opportunity for solid business experience, great opportunity for exposure to international business, home to some of the hardest workers with whom I've had the pleasure to be associated

Cons

Lack of communication, executives are focused on personal goals rather than leadership and building a good culture, total lack of valuing of employees as an asset, due to international presence, MANY work hours expected of salaried employees including late nights and early mornings and all normal hours in between, in-fighting between executives at the various sites across the globe, an archaic sense that in the relatively smaller Provo, Utah market employees have no other viable employment options and Novell is the only "game in town" and consequently employees are not treated as they should be, there is a surprising number of under-qualified upper management

Advice to Management

Value your employees and verbally express thanks for their hard work, communicate more openly, foster unity among various departments, develop a productive culture

3. Great Company to work for until acquired by Attachmate

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company used to have a great vibe, awesome management, competitive salary and bonuses.

Cons

After Attachmate acquisition, much of the management and employee knowledge went out the door with the lay offs that occurred. Left existing employees carrying huge work loads, benefits got worse, little to no raises. Morale became bad and management either didn't care or was unable to take any action to change anything.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better.

5. A dying company lacking vision and leadership

I have been working at Novell full-time

Pros

Great work life balance and benefits. Everyone understands the importance of getting in early and leaving on time. The people are great to work with.

Cons

No innovation, a defeatist culture and limited communication from leadership. Although the people are great, they do not have the resources or support to reach potential. This perpetuates the "us against them" attitude toward leadership in that no one truly knows what is coming in the next quarter as far as compensation, bonus, investment, or layoffs.

Advice to Management

whatever the vision and direction may be, communicate it honestly with all. Do not communicate thing at company-wide meetings and then fail to make decisions that back that communication behind closed doors

6. Declining - fast!

Former Employee - Premium Support Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Premium Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The current pros: decent pension contributions from the company is all I can think about.

Cons

I worked at Novell (now TAG) for over 10 years. I started when Novell was a great company to work at. You felt like you were valued, training, salary, and benefits were all very generous. If you ever needed anything that was within reason you would get it approved relatively fast. This is definitely not the case now! Cons: 1.) Lack of salary increase. I haven't had an increase for the past 6 years. The usual excuse is that there's a recession and the company has reviewed salaries and the salaries are still competitive. The salaries are NOT competitive. I have ex colleague's that have left and are being paid a higher salary that is inline with inflation. 2.) Lack of direction from management. I'm not impressed with the TAG style of management, they are out of touch with the employees and technology and are only worried about profit. Many talented and highly experienced employees were laid off. 3.) Lack of training and development. Training is no longer seen as a necessity, cost cutting has taken a priority over everything so you are left with demotivated staff that just go through the motions. 4.) Lack of incentive related bonus. In the past, bonuses were related to performance, if you went the extra mile you got a bonus that reflected that. This is no longer the case, there's no real incentive for employees to go the extra mile if there's nothing in it for them, except Sales are renewals, they are the one's that drive the current bonus scheme. See point 1 above. 5.) All round negativity. The whole company is currently filled with so much negativity that no one cares anymore. Management fail to see that the company will not be successful when the majority of employees are unhappy. The negativity spills out to the customers, they can sense it and then lose faith in the whole company and will rather take their money elsewhere. 6.) Stale products. Novell used to have great products in the past, Novell had some really innovative and cutting edge technology but this is no longer the case. Most of the current software is just the same old crud with a different interface. 7.) Management out of touch with employees. I can't remember the last time my manager actually asked me if I was happy in my role, if I needed any training, or if I was happy in my role or was interested in a different role. Management just don't seem to care and are just as demotivated as the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with employees, get back to basics and don't neglect employees. They're not happy and the company won't be successful if employees are unhappy. You pay people peanuts, you get monkeys. Before I left I made sure that I worked the EXACT hours required, never giving an inch since there was nothing in it for me, many colleagues' feel the same way, you need to try and eliminate the company wide negativity. Provide employees with security, give them an increase!

7. It used to be one of the great places to work in Utah; that is until the acquisition happened.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The salary is competitive. Good work/life balance.

Cons

There is GREAT question of whether or not the company will survive.

Advice to Management

Just tell the truth of what the direction is for the company; will it eventually dissolve? Open up about the plans to re-locate outside of Utah.

8. What use to be is no longer ,,,

Current Employee - Account Exed in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Account Exed in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are still good people at Novell. A lot of flexibility doing your job.

Cons

Management does not reinvest in R&D. It takes years versus months for new product features.

Advice to Management

Start caring about the customer (again).

9. Constant decline of market share, revenues, benefits and job satisfaction

Former Employee - Program Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People - I stayed so long because of the people.

Cons

Too many to list, but all a result of the decline in market share and the acquisition by Attachmate.

10. Business Model Flawed, auditing customers to "catch them" will not grow business.

I worked at Novell full-time

Pros

Some very nice people work here.

Cons

This company is in decline. The name Novell shuts doors amazingly fast or has customers saying that they thought Novell was dead. No innovation. "Innovative" products are years behind the competition. Customers are ripping out Novell as fast as they can to move to Microsoft. The Novell strategy is to make it difficult for customers to move to something else. And if they do, to make it painful and costly, uncovering as many audit findings as possible. Make no mistake, the audit group drives this company (ala Attachmate), not sales.

Advice to Management

Growth through audit won't happen. You're pushing away customers. Get in new blood and new products now, or wither and die.

11. Novell is a dead company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell

Pros

Awesome experienced coworkers. Still have some nice amenities including the cafe and health center.

Cons

Bought out by Micro Focus International who has no plans to have Novell products compete in the industry. They are milking whatever revenue they can until it's gone.

Advice to Management

There are still some viable technologies and innovation within the company if only management would invest appropriately.

RSS Feed </> Embed