Novell Reviews

Reset

1. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer III in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer III in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management takes care of their employees. Flexible. Great working environment. Many opportunities to build knowledge and experience to further career.

Cons

Average salaries. Benefits aren't nearly as good as previous years. Fewer opportunities to move up as company no longer growing as they did in past years

2. Good values but lacks on future perspectives

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer III in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer III in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good managers good balance work/life good working environment

Cons

upper management seems to be lost no raises for a long time

3. Great work-life balance, but new management (Attachmate) is out-of-touch with employees

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Novell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Beautiful campus, onsite gym, cafeteria, chiropractor, bank. Decent benefits, though steadily going downhill

Cons

Much of compensation plan is in the bonus structure, so if company doesn't qualify for bonus, then compensation is significantly lower. New management (Attachmate) is more concerned about cutting costs than having a good team and building good software.

Advice to Management

Get back in touch with your employees. Find ways to express genuine appreciation. Allocate funds for merit bonuses and pay raises.

5. Used to be a fan, not so much anymore

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people (employees) here have always been great to work with. Balance between work life and personal life are also great.

Cons

Upper management in over their heads. When the attachmate group acquired Novell, we had a lot of hope that they would finally fix this company. Nearly two years and many empty promises, and obvious lack of knowledge of how to run a large company, most employees that I know are looking for a place to go. I have yet to see this company end of life a product, and as a result, they have more and more products, and less people to work on them. Employees are burned out for the workload they have, with no hope of a sensible product portfolio. Marketing has always been abysmal, with no signs of change in the future. :(

Advice to Management

Keep your commitments. Make the profit sharing plan you touted so much upon acquiring Novell a reality. This company is still very profitable though in decline, yet you mistakenly hold groups accountable for what they have no control over, and reward the people who *should* be accountable. As long as Bob gets his trip to "club" I guess it'll never change. Once budgets are approved. please honor them. It is ridiculous to have a budget approved for hiring or hardware etc. to have to get approval from Jeff Hawn to start going down the path of acquiring the already approved budget item. Once the person or hardware is selected, we then have to have to have Jeff yet again approve it a 3rd time! It seems most often lately that on the third approval of the already twice approved asset, the request is finally denied. I could go on. But I think I'll just, go.

6. Extremely happy with my choice of employer!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work / life balance Trusted environment Excellent leadership Ethical leadership / decision-makers Stability Respected environment Those who leave, thinking the grass might be greener, want to come back High Tenure

Cons

It's a corporation, privately owned with a budget to follow in order to be profitable. Management does not always understand the reasons behind this (since we've been privately acquired) and it's hard to hear management be frustrated with a strict budget.

Advice to Management

Be patient with reasons why we need to be strict with new-hires and understand there must be a valid reason behind a strict budget. Positive note to Management: I admire the true leadership and dedication to wanting the BEST for every employee! The compassion and care is un-like anything I've seen and I admire the leadership our managers elude.

7. Mixed - good company - but lack of growth opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Great colleagues to work with - Nice on-site cafeteria - Great work-out facility - Excellent vacation / sick policy - Flexible - family oriented environment

Cons

- Lack of raises - Little to no opportunity for advancement - New management team struggling after acquisition - Benefits getting worse (401k match, health insurance options) - Aging workforce, lack of innovation - new blood needed - Competitive environment and declining sales for legacy products - Bonus system that rewards everyone equally regardless of contributions

Advice to Management

Allow for some differentiation / salary bumps to retain key people. Work on hiring younger engineers to bring in new ideas.

8. Great Company to work for until acquired by Attachmate

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company used to have a great vibe, awesome management, competitive salary and bonuses.

Cons

After Attachmate acquisition, much of the management and employee knowledge went out the door with the lay offs that occurred. Left existing employees carrying huge work loads, benefits got worse, little to no raises. Morale became bad and management either didn't care or was unable to take any action to change anything.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better.

9. Good People to work with, well established company

I have been working at Novell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upper level management is down to earth.

Cons

New products are in infant stage

Advice to Management

View every position as revenue generating.

10. Business Analyst

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, and beautiful campus.

Cons

Tough market position, and questionable leadership.

Advice to Management

Run it like a business.

11. Great products....bad marketing

Former Employee - Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great technologies. Great managers and leaders. Great people to work with.

Cons

Mobility and growth problematic. Business model bad - can't make money when you're product is free. And even with superior technology, if you can't market it.....toast.

Advice to Management

new marketing. new pricing.

RSS Feed </> Embed