Novell

Novell Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Not yet rated.

Kathleen Owens

Pros
  • Experience good Work-Life balance, No Micro Level Management (in 53 reviews)

• Good benefits, good development process for individuals, well understood business process (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management at times experience a disconnect from the work in the "trenches" (in 8 reviews)

• no future, no raises, outdated technology (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great team to work with, interesting work and flexible environment.

Enablement Manager (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsFlexible with work schedule; trust your work integrity; friendly, competent colleagues, good benefit package.
    They expect you to get your work done, but don't micro-manage if you work at home, office, at night, etc. With children, it is very important to have the flexibility to see class plays, go to doctor appts, etc.
    Colleagues are good at their work and there is a good collaborative environment.

ConsPay is a bit under market and no/small pay increases; no hard push for growth or huge change (could also be considered a Pro)

Advice to Senior ManagementWith new owner/management, look to reward the performers and maintain the incredible collaborative spirit to grow business and maximize the growth and profit potential of the company.

Great experience working on a dynamic team in a company that may need a little kick start.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Provo, UT

ProsWorked on a very dynamic team with intelligent and progressive thinking managers and employees. Team members were all very willing to work together to accomplish goals, were open to new ways of doing things. The team was always striving to improve and work toward aggressive goals.

ConsCons include those typical working with a large company that has been around a while. Some of those include: red tape to get projects approved, dealing with old and dates processes and technologies, inability to think outside the box and try new things.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to scrap old projects that are consuming resources and not meeting objectives. Invest in the resources to get the job done right. Trust your managers to make decisions.

Great company for professional development

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsIt is not uncommon to meet Novell employees with 10 or more years with the company, this speaks well of the way Novell treats its employees.
    Novell places strong emphasis on hiring top talent and represents a great opportunity to learn from the best of the best in your field.
    Novell is well recognized in the industry as a leader in product development and for its global network of partners.

ConsAcquisition by Attachmate will affect corporate culture. I expect the resulting company will inherit some good things from Novell but at this moment it is uncertain what will happen exactly. This also applies to product roadmap.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe transition following the acquisition by Attachmate seems to be leaving out many critical processes, with senior managers disregarding day to day operations and employees confused and uncertain about what they need to do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great group of people

Contract Manager (Current Employee) Provo, UT

Prossmart, dedicated, fun group of people
    flexible work options

Conssalary cap
    frequent changes in dept management lead to confusion and erosion of good working relationships across interdisciplinary teams
    too many product lines --reduces focus and in-depth knowledge of products

Advice to Senior ManagementAttachmate is now in charge --hope that changes can be smooth and quick to avoid further disruption and distraction to the company.

Needs strategic direction and vision that will move Novell into a growth company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsGreat people to work with. Good compensation and benefits.

ConsNo real corporate strategy and direction. Constant change and lack of leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and execute a solid vision and strategy.

Case Study for the failure of remote executive offices

Partner Executive (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsNovell had some very strong engineers
    Novell products led the market in many product divisions
    Novell had some great sales teams and management

ConsNovell was a case study in "why not to have executives in remote locations away from the main body of engineers, PM, Marketing, Sales, Operations"
    Why did Novell's Board put the executive team in Waltham, MA away from the main campus in Provo, UT.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Board of Directors just wanted to sell the company. They had no vision or drive to do more and invest in more than window dressings. This is a terrible travisty in the Novell legacy, the engineers were great, the products where great, but the execution lagged b/c of Leadership disconnect.

Great Potential, Poor Execution

Technology Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Provo, UT

ProsOpportunity to work with smart, talented and determined people. Best-in-class technology. Offers good benefits and office culture. Provides great learning opportunities.

ConsFrequent (quarterly) layoffs reduce morale and sense of job security.
    Lack of vision and weak execution (new corporate strategy each year).
    Frequent changes in management (I was assigned a new manager approximately twice a year).
    Focused on short-term planning and selling.
    The Novell brand has high awareness, but is poorly perceived in the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire TBWA/Chiat/Day to improve the Novell brand.

Novell, good place to work? Surely not in Waltham.

Senior HRIS Analyst (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsGiven the lack of managerial oversight, the "freedom" and "independence" to expand on my skills and role even if management did not acknowledge my accomplishments and achievements.

ConsLack of cohesivness and communication within the company. Everyone seems to be in for themselves instead of working together.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company was sold and is being split up; what advice is there to give to management?

A fantastic enviroment

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsThe Tools & Services branch of Novell is extremely flexible with their employees. If the people I worked with were any less driven and dedicated I would say too flexible.

We largely get to set our own schedule, we can work from home whenever we feel the need (within limits, obviuosly), vacation time, sick days, and holidays are all handled by a single paid time off structure that is VERY flexible (basically I have 30 days off a year, which I can use as I see fit). It all basically runs off of an 'honor' system: Let your co-workers know in advance if you can, get your work done, and you wont get bothered. If the people I worked with were any less dedicated and responsible it would be TOO much flexibility. But they aren't. My immediate co-workers work hard and have a desire to get their work done, so the sytem works great.

The projects I work on are interesting, and I have a lot of control over the design process, which is an unexpected perk for a recent graduate. I am responsible for several projects, and as long as get keep up on them I have a lot of control over how and when I work on them.

My boss is a great guy who really looks out for those under him. He firmly believes that a happy employee is a productive one, and is willing to fight with HR for us. From the departmental director down there is a lot of support and cooperation.

ConsNovell is a BIG company with all the negatives that entails: Lots of red tape between departments and having to navigate complex inter-departmental politics to get anything done. In my team we are constantly having to work around artificial limitations and find loopholes to get things done. Often time we only own half the code we are working on and have to come up with complicated solutions to pass data around, other times we are working on solving bugs (sometimes major ones) and hit a dead end when we start intersecting other departments projects. You can make a report to have them fix it, but it typically just slips between the cracks.

HR and accounting are really disconnected from the rest of the company, which is why Novell has a bit of a reputation for yearly layoffs. My manager is very willing to fight for us and works hard to make sure we are fairly compensated, but it is still a fight, and it really shouldn't be.

But the grounds are beautiful, the people are enjoyable, there are lots of teambuilding activities (real ones, that actually help me get to know the people I work with and have a positive impact), lots of flexibility, and just a good general atmosphere.

As long as you are dealing with just your department, it is an amazing place to work. And even when dealing with other departments is just a minor annoyance.

And not all departments are a well managed as mine. Support (just across the hall) can be hellish.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is too much of a disconnect between HR, accounting, and the rest of the company. They can be great at paying well at hire, but getting raises shouldn't be such a battle.

Outsourcing your support is killing you. ICS (the company we outsource most of our support to) is a mess and bleeding employees. Bring it back in-house and give those poor support engineers the support they deserve.

Good place to jump start (if one does not have a good resume), but move on quickly

Web Developer Intern (Former Employee) Provo, UT

ProsDecent pay (for an internship in Provo), flexible hours, nice facilities (loved having an office instead of a cubicle)

ConsBasically, everyone in my team had been laid off and rehired (or brought in as a contractor) like 3 times. The place is extremely unstable when it comes to having any career prospect

Mid-level managers and engineers aren't in the same page, and young starlets do not get enough attention or guidance (and take the brunt when something goes awry). Don't expect help from other engineers or developers (you are a nuissance).

If you have been laid off: you will not be formally notified. You will come to work one day and your access card will not work. Then you will be notified by phone that you need to make an appointment with a security guard to get your stuff from your office, and thank-you-very-much.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh-level managers: people are your main assets. Massive layoffs due to irresponsible risk taking are your fault.

Mid-level managers: take responsibility for training your people.

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!