Novell Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

Kathleen Owens

Pros
  • Experience good Work-Life balance, No Micro Level Management (in 53 reviews)

• Good benefits, good development process for individuals, well understood business process (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management at times experience a disconnect from the work in the "trenches" (in 8 reviews)

• no future, no raises, outdated technology (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Beautiful Campus, Reasonable Pay, Good Opportunity, Difficult Culture

Former Employee - Manager  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell

Pros

Beautiful offices and campus, convenient on-site gym, bank and cafeteria, opportunity for solid business experience, great opportunity for exposure to international business, home to some of the hardest workers with whom I've had the pleasure to be associated

Cons

Lack of communication, executives are focused on personal goals rather than leadership and building a good culture, total lack of valuing of employees as an asset, due to international presence, MANY work hours expected of salaried employees including late nights and early mornings and all normal hours in between, in-fighting between executives at the various sites across the globe, an archaic sense that in the relatively smaller Provo, Utah market employees have no other viable employment options and Novell is the only "game in town" and consequently employees are not treated as they should be, there is a surprising number of under-qualified upper management

Value your employees and verbally express thanks for their hard work, communicate more openly, foster unity among various departments, develop a productive culture

Great team to work with, interesting work and flexible environment.

Current Employee - Enablement Manager  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Enablement Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Flexible with work schedule; trust your work integrity; friendly, competent colleagues, good benefit package.
    They expect you to get your work done, but don't micro-manage if you work at home, office, at night, etc. With children, it is very important to have the flexibility to see class plays, go to doctor appts, etc.
    Colleagues are good at their work and there is a good collaborative environment.

Cons

Pay is a bit under market and no/small pay increases; no hard push for growth or huge change (could also be considered a Pro)

With new owner/management, look to reward the performers and maintain the incredible collaborative spirit to grow business and maximize the growth and profit potential of the company.

Great experience working on a dynamic team in a company that may need a little kick start.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell

Pros

Worked on a very dynamic team with intelligent and progressive thinking managers and employees. Team members were all very willing to work together to accomplish goals, were open to new ways of doing things. The team was always striving to improve and work toward aggressive goals.

Cons

Cons include those typical working with a large company that has been around a while. Some of those include: red tape to get projects approved, dealing with old and dates processes and technologies, inability to think outside the box and try new things.

Don't be afraid to scrap old projects that are consuming resources and not meeting objectives. Invest in the resources to get the job done right. Trust your managers to make decisions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company for professional development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Novell

Pros

It is not uncommon to meet Novell employees with 10 or more years with the company, this speaks well of the way Novell treats its employees.
    Novell places strong emphasis on hiring top talent and represents a great opportunity to learn from the best of the best in your field.
    Novell is well recognized in the industry as a leader in product development and for its global network of partners.

Cons

Acquisition by Attachmate will affect corporate culture. I expect the resulting company will inherit some good things from Novell but at this moment it is uncertain what will happen exactly. This also applies to product roadmap.

The transition following the acquisition by Attachmate seems to be leaving out many critical processes, with senior managers disregarding day to day operations and employees confused and uncertain about what they need to do.

Great group of people

Current Employee - Contract Manager  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Contract Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

smart, dedicated, fun group of people
    flexible work options

Cons

salary cap
    frequent changes in dept management lead to confusion and erosion of good working relationships across interdisciplinary teams
    too many product lines --reduces focus and in-depth knowledge of products

Attachmate is now in charge --hope that changes can be smooth and quick to avoid further disruption and distraction to the company.

Needs strategic direction and vision that will move Novell into a growth company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Great people to work with. Good compensation and benefits.

Cons

No real corporate strategy and direction. Constant change and lack of leadership.

Develop and execute a solid vision and strategy.

Great Potential, Poor Execution

Former Employee - Technology Sales Specialist  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell

Pros

Opportunity to work with smart, talented and determined people. Best-in-class technology. Offers good benefits and office culture. Provides great learning opportunities.

Cons

Frequent (quarterly) layoffs reduce morale and sense of job security.
    Lack of vision and weak execution (new corporate strategy each year).
    Frequent changes in management (I was assigned a new manager approximately twice a year).
    Focused on short-term planning and selling.
    The Novell brand has high awareness, but is poorly perceived in the market.

Hire TBWA/Chiat/Day to improve the Novell brand.

Case Study for the failure of remote executive offices

Current Employee - Partner Executive  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Partner Executive in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Novell had some very strong engineers
    Novell products led the market in many product divisions
    Novell had some great sales teams and management

Cons

Novell was a case study in "why not to have executives in remote locations away from the main body of engineers, PM, Marketing, Sales, Operations"
    Why did Novell's Board put the executive team in Waltham, MA away from the main campus in Provo, UT.

The Board of Directors just wanted to sell the company. They had no vision or drive to do more and invest in more than window dressings. This is a terrible travisty in the Novell legacy, the engineers were great, the products where great, but the execution lagged b/c of Leadership disconnect.

Novell, good place to work? Surely not in Waltham.

Former Employee - Senior HRIS Analyst  in  Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior HRIS Analyst in Waltham, MA

I worked at Novell

Pros

Given the lack of managerial oversight, the "freedom" and "independence" to expand on my skills and role even if management did not acknowledge my accomplishments and achievements.

Cons

Lack of cohesivness and communication within the company. Everyone seems to be in for themselves instead of working together.

The company was sold and is being split up; what advice is there to give to management?

A fantastic enviroment

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

The Tools & Services branch of Novell is extremely flexible with their employees. If the people I worked with were any less driven and dedicated I would say too flexible.

We largely get to set our own schedule, we can work from home whenever we feel the need (within limits, obviuosly), vacation time, sick days, and holidays are all handled by a single paid time off structure that is VERY flexible (basically I have 30 days off a year, which I can use as I see fit). It all basically runs off of an 'honor' system: Let your co-workers know in advance if you can, get your work done, and you wont get bothered. If the people I worked with were any less dedicated and responsible it would be TOO much flexibility. But they aren't. My immediate co-workers work hard and have a desire to get their work done, so the sytem works great.

The projects I work on are interesting, and I have a lot of control over the design process, which is an unexpected perk for a recent graduate. I am responsible for several projects, and as long as get keep up on them I have a lot of control over how and when I work on them.

My boss is a great guy who really looks out for those under him. He firmly believes that a happy employee is a productive one, and is willing to fight with HR for us. From the departmental director down there is a lot of support and cooperation.

Cons

Novell is a BIG company with all the negatives that entails: Lots of red tape between departments and having to navigate complex inter-departmental politics to get anything done. In my team we are constantly having to work around artificial limitations and find loopholes to get things done. Often time we only own half the code we are working on and have to come up with complicated solutions to pass data around, other times we are working on solving bugs (sometimes major ones) and hit a dead end when we start intersecting other departments projects. You can make a report to have them fix it, but it typically just slips between the cracks.

HR and accounting are really disconnected from the rest of the company, which is why Novell has a bit of a reputation for yearly layoffs. My manager is very willing to fight for us and works hard to make sure we are fairly compensated, but it is still a fight, and it really shouldn't be.

But the grounds are beautiful, the people are enjoyable, there are lots of teambuilding activities (real ones, that actually help me get to know the people I work with and have a positive impact), lots of flexibility, and just a good general atmosphere.

As long as you are dealing with just your department, it is an amazing place to work. And even when dealing with other departments is just a minor annoyance.

And not all departments are a well managed as mine. Support (just across the hall) can be hellish.

There is too much of a disconnect between HR, accounting, and the rest of the company. They can be great at paying well at hire, but getting raises shouldn't be such a battle.

Outsourcing your support is killing you. ICS (the company we outsource most of our support to) is a mess and bleeding employees. Bring it back in-house and give those poor support engineers the support they deserve.

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!