Novellus

www.lamresearch.com

Novellus Reviews in Hillsboro, OR

3.1

Martin Anstice

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule with competitive salary and benefits package (in 7 reviews)

• Good Benefits, lots of opportunity to gain additional knowledge and career growth (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours at work and work arounf the clock (in 10 reviews)

• Growth rate, work/life balance, Facilities and Management requires improvement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent place to work if you like compressed work weeks.

I have been working at Novellus

Pros

Management is not overwhelmingly involved.

Cons

Communication throughout the company could be better.

Work hard, expect to be ignored

I have been working at Novellus

Pros

-Compressed work week can be great if overtime is avoided.
    -Co-workers can be great and fun to be around (only some of them though)

Cons

-There is a lot of "Mandatory" overtime that makes it very difficult to see the benefits of a compressed work week.
    -Management seemingly has no clue what is done on a daily basis unless something is done wrong, in which case they jump all over you.
    -We write our own performance reviews so that the management team can see, for the first time, what we have done that is good. Then they sign off on it as if they wrote it and hand it in to HR.
    -Advancement is difficult and blamed on the bureaucracy by saying that "we are only allowed to promote one person this year."

It seems like management is always busy doing something, but what that something is can be difficult to ascertain from the FSE point of view, so more transparency would be valuable. It is also hard to work a lot of overtime when the reward is only extra money. The company make me feel like a prostitute, paid to work and not appreciated. When the management asks for more work, they think that the extra pay will satisfy the extra work (and loss to personal life).

Used to be a really great place to work, but has gone downhill in the last few years

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer II in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer II in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Novellus

Pros

Compressed work week is great.
    For not having a degree, the pay is not bad.
    Medical benefits are pretty good.
    Profit sharing is nice when it happens.

Cons

Multiple medical insurance cost increases over the last few years. Elimination of HMO option.
    Stock purchase plan was cut a few years ago.
    Car allowance was cut a couple of years ago.
    Slow to promote and give raises.

Because of the above items, after 7 years with the company, my take home pay is now less than it was when I started. Then factor in inflation, the cost of gas, etc and I'm worse off than when I started with the company...

Spend a few extra dollars to take care of your employees - And I mean more than a lame team activity once a quarter, or pizza at company meetings, those don't carry much weight with us. We know you have plenty of cash in the bank and it wouldn't take much to make us happy. We see how many stock options the senior management get and how much they sell them for - and that only serves to anger us further.

I don't know about other departments, but Field Service is on the verge of revolt, moral is in the dump and you can bet that as soon as the economy picks up, many of us will be moving on to other companies. Some of us are actively looking right now and have promising leads...

Bring back the car allowance and stock purchase plan - some of your competitors still offer them and it would go a long way toward bridging the gap that has been created.

Give out some promotions and raises of more than 1 - 2 % every other year.

Started out good.....then went down the toilet

I have been working at Novellus

Pros

Its a pay check
    Health benifits

Cons

Zero respect for you as an individual or your family. This company could care less about you or your family. Work more, get less. Verbal abuse by the customer is fine by management. Management will NOT back you up and will stomp on you along with the customer. Management will smile at you while stabbing you in the back. Management tells you one thing, then does the opposite and get this!! ITS ALL YOUR FAULT. Management expects they can call you on your personal phone and demand you drop your family to come into work any time day or night. You will get laid off with ZERO warning, lose your house and health benefits and have to file for bankruptcy. Everything about working for NVLS is a down side at this point, even in this economy. Ive never ever seen so many unhappy employees!!! Management will never ever get it and they will never ever care. SAD!!!

Care about your people and they will take care of you. Crap on them as you have been for years now and see where its gonna get you!!! Hopefully laid off and bankrupt

Semiconductor equipment company

I have been working at Novellus

Pros

You have a good paying job now when others are looking for a job in a market that is very unforgiving and not offering options.
    You have a way of providing health coverage for your wife and children, poor (comparing to what it used to be) but better than not being covered.
    A good way to maintain the financial ship floating until the storm passes by.

Cons

No career development path in sight. There are lateral possibilities but these are tempting only for those interested in titles or traveling.
    Employees are required to travel with very short notice, drop their life at any time they might be needed to satisfy the company targets, commitments or contracts. This is also dependent on the manager’s ego or desire to be promoted and be well seen from above.
    Beside the tough family life one has when working a compressed week schedule, there is no respect for big efforts employees make to maintain the service the company should provide to its clients. No consideration for the ones that work overtime.
    As most of the semiconductor companies, Novellus had the habit of hiring when times are good and laying off personnel when times are tough but now it is harder than in the past to deal with these ups and downs of the industry. All the weight and pressure gets pushed directly to field service, especially the administration overhead that always finds ways to avoid layoffs and reorganization.
    Compared to other similar companies, Novellus used to be a better place to be years ago.
    Now is at the bottom, with most of the other companies offering a better alternative for the same job.
    As a Field Engineer now, you have no right to time off, and if you really must have it for legal reasons, it won’t be when needed, not in one piece and certainly not for your needs, time off is used to reduce the expenses when the books are not looking good.
    Preferential treatment is a staple of this region with managers made through a boot camp that teaches them only to delegate.
    Novellus used to have good health benefits, not anymore.
    Compliance appearance is the main concern of the management, we need to look like we are safe, we need to look like we care and that we offer a good working environment.

When your employees are working every day of the week and the next week and the next one, and this goes on for months, you need to hire more people. How long can you overwork a team until you burn them out? You will find the answer.
    Your salary comes from the money Field Service generates. Moving people around and telling them they won’t get a raise is not management. There is more than that to it.

FSE

I have been working at Novellus

Pros

good insurance, laptop provided, reasonable pay,

Cons

Too many managers and VP's, managers and supervisors have no real people skills, they are too busy protecting their turf to care or worry about people reporting to them, they seem to intentionally create hard feelings between FSE's, spreading rumors and telling personal information to coworkers. employee's are just a number, forced to work more hours than can be sustained which effects personal time to where you feel like you can't even make an appointment.

get real managers here, people that make the employee feel they are valued and their contribution is important. Stop promoting new VP's every month when none of the rank and file have had promotions in years.

It is supposed to be a J-O-B not a G-O-D!

I have been working at Novellus

Pros

To get your feet wet in the Tech business if you make it past certain gauntlets of management.

Cons

Hard to take time off when needed but forced to take it when it pleases them, management tends to be very cliquish if you don't shoot or eat or party with them you are held to a different standard to others.
     Very slow raises in good times but Novellus is quick to take away in huge chunks when times are tough from car allowance removals to Insurance increases and so on, your pay can go down easily by a a fourth one year to the next.
    Very disrespectful of personal time, after getting off work after a long night management thinks nothing of calling you over for a meeting which usually could have been handled by Email.

Watch your local managers a much closer, ask yourself are they really being professional or is there nepotism in the works.
     Learn to sacrifice when training is really needed, you would have much better employees if you spent more quality time with your employees with more hands on training outside of the customers eyes.
     Allow people to move ahead outside of management not everyone wants to be part of the collective, some of us have lives separate from work such as church, sports,family and friends, we like to plan outside of work.
     Allow a rating system that honestly asks the employees what they think of management, you awful critical of us when it comes time to review, try seeing for a change what we think of you.

Novellus Photos