Novogradac & Company Reviews in Austin, TX

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Intern  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Novogradac & Company

Pros

The firm has a really nice laid-back, but busy, atmosphere. I never felt like I was micro-managed nor did I feel I was ever left on my own to complete projects. I never felt like I had to give an explanation to step outside and see the sun for a few minutes (you start to miss it during busy season). I felt like the firm (especially my manager) went above and beyond to let me know that hard work was appreciated and recognized.

I think I might have been the only vegetarian in the entire office, so the fact that they would almost always have a vegetarian option during firm-provided meals says something. It was really nice to have a fully stocked kitchen, especially during busy season when time is short.

Everyone with whom I interacted was competent and knowledgeable, and if someone could not answer a question they could usually tell you who could. The performance feedback was spot on; I had two evaluations in the two months I was there.

Cons

I would encourage prospective interns to ask what percentage of interns received offers the past couple years. It seems to have definitely trended down. Many public accounting firms only hire from their pool of interns. Some people will just have one shot to intern. So if your main goal is landing a job where you intern, you could be out of luck if Novogradac is just not hiring, and you might not have the chance to intern somewhere else.

As others have mentioned, it is a niche industry. But for those considering an internship, I would not let that discourage you because the things you will learn in two months are pretty universal (I just took the CPA AUD section and the internship definitely helped.) It might be more of a factor for someone considering long term employment.

I feel a great deal of my positive experience is due to my team placement. Other interns may not have had as good as an experience based on their team, but that is probably true anywhere you go.

Continue to improve the training for interns. It seems like the training process is still being tweaked, which is a positive sign. Training is one of the most important considerations for potential interns considering an internship here.

Slave Drivers + No Career Development = Look Elsewhere

Current Employee - Real Estate Analyst  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Real Estate Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Novogradac & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company has a good reputation for some reason. Maybe that reputation is more customer driven, because it treats its employees poorly.

Cons

Our office culture consisted of the following
    - No work-life balance at all.
    - Expectation is to take a 30-min lunch break. Nobody ever leaves or goes out together for lunch. I don't know why anyone would care about this, as long as my work gets done.
    - Partner is never around and is constantly talking on the phone with his wife about their kids
    - Partner has no clue about the development of his staff. The partner relies on an inexperienced manager to update him, which this person does not do.
    - There is no company or office wide push for training, career development, goal setting, etc. This is something that all good companies require of their employees. There's no accountability and no real criteria on how to move up the chain. I developed my own goals to get promoted and discussed with the partner. He agreed to the plan, but after a year passed and I completed all the goals, he said that they weren't relevant any more to be promoted to the job I wanted.
    - Lazy people are rewarded while hard workers go unrecognized. I have to stay and work weekends while others at the same level as me don't. There's no sharing of the work-load.

Join the office culture of the 21st century. This isn't the 1950's anymore. Set the tone at the top and act like you care about your employees and aren't soley focused on sales.

Hard working, but fun.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Novogradac & Company

Pros

Casual work atmosphere. Great fun, enthusiastic, smart co-workers. The fully stocked kitchen during busy season is excellent! They don't pay as much as bigger companies, but it's worth a little pay cut to be around such nice folks. Unlike most other internships, you'll get to do both tax and audit work, which is awesome as most students haven't really figured out which they want to do yet.

Cons

Niche company focus on real estate and related credits makes me a little afraid to invest a lot of time there. You'll only do partnership tax returns, for example.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What a fantastic internship!

Current Employee - Intern  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at Novogradac & Company

Pros

There was always so much food being served during busy season - they take such great care of their employees' health.

Cons

A performance review was given at the end of the internship, and my feedback was good, but I would have liked more during the internship.

Novogradac and Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Novogradac & Company

Pros

Great pay, amazing employees, generous time off, hires and promotes from within.

Cons

Busy during busy season, but overtime and bonuses make it well worth the work!

Keep up the good work!

great place to start a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Novogradac & Company

Pros

Much to learn-great exposure to tax and audit. Many diverse clients to experience. Great management. Great break room with lots of food.

Cons

Work to life balance is unrealistic. Balance of work among teams is uneven. tedius work and limited benefits limit competition

work smarter not harder. get to know y our employees better...demonstrate u care about the people who work for you.

great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Novogradac & Company

Pros

Great kitchen, friendly atmosphere, casual environment and dress code.

Cons

hard work during busy season

be more discriminating on taking on new clients

great place to work

Current Employee - Management  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at Novogradac & Company

Pros

flexibility, career opportunities, opportunity for challenge

Cons

long hours required during busy season

provide continuous and consistent feedback

Worked for Novogradac & Company? Contribute to the Community!